Print Thread
850 Demon info. #1689670
10/23/14 04:38 PM
10/23/14 04:38 PM
Savannah, GA
mopar400 Offline OP
mopar400  Offline OP

Savannah, GA
Found a 850 Mighty Demon carb. locally. I've never owned a Demon. What is the carb. worth and is there anything to look out for? Any help or info would be appreciated. The listing shows that it is fairly new and too big for his application. From the pic it doesn't look new to me. Still waiting on more info like model number. Thanks

1965 Fury II 1970 Challenger 440, 509 cam, 11:1 w/ 452 iron heads, 6.99 1/8, 11.29@ 120mph 1/4 (1999 Magnolia Drag strip track champion) 1992 Jeep XJ Crawler
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689671
10/23/14 06:01 PM
10/23/14 06:01 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
I own two BG carbs (one Race Demon RS and an older Gold Claw), but I wouldn't buy one of their carbs unless I could tear it down and look for all the problems I've seen with them (e.g. stripped float-bowl screw heli-coils on the main body, incorrectly installed and/or machined boosters, incorrectly machined metering blocks) before handing over the $$$.

Their quality control issues and poor out-of-the-box tuning make them "highly suspect" IMO, unless you can get it cheap enough to throw it away if it's messed up. There's a reason why BG Inc. is no longer in business, even though some Demon carbs are now being made by whomever picked up the pieces of Barry Grant's operation.

FYI, there is (was?) a board member from NJ (scamp408) on here selling a Race Demon that was set up pretty well for about $500, IIRC. Check the Race Parts for Sale listings and see if it's still there.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: BradH] #1689672
10/23/14 08:20 PM
10/23/14 08:20 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Note: The "whomever picked up the pieces" is Holley. Holley also makes the QuickFuel carbs.

It's not a secret, the latest advertisements for the Street Demon say, "by Holley".

R.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689673
10/23/14 09:56 PM
10/23/14 09:56 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Do you want it cos it`s local or do you like those carbs? What`s it goin on?

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: Thumperdart] #1689674
10/23/14 10:28 PM
10/23/14 10:28 PM
Savannah, GA
mopar400 Offline OP
mopar400  Offline OP

Savannah, GA
Quote:

Do you want it cos it`s local or do you like those carbs? What`s it goin on?

I have an old 850 that has been messed with, never worked that well and just plain wore out. I'm sloooowly putting together a 451, 10:1 compression, reusing stage V heads for now and a solid roller cam. I'm looking for a good used carb with screw in bleeds ect. for tuning. Seems cheaper to buy one with those features and sell my old carb. This Demon is in my price range.

Last edited by mopar400; 10/23/14 10:44 PM.

1965 Fury II 1970 Challenger 440, 509 cam, 11:1 w/ 452 iron heads, 6.99 1/8, 11.29@ 120mph 1/4 (1999 Magnolia Drag strip track champion) 1992 Jeep XJ Crawler
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689675
10/23/14 10:49 PM
10/23/14 10:49 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Without tuning abilities such as adjustable bleeds, ifr`s pvcr`s etc, there`s only jetting and although a form of tuning not the whole picture.............As far as the wore out 850 you can modify the blocks and body and get a new billet base plate and maybe save it.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689676
10/24/14 12:31 PM
10/24/14 12:31 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Screw-in bleeds and such are not an absolute necessity for tuning those circuits. And may narrow your field of choice of carbs down too much. For instance, if it weren't for the screw-in bleeds, would you consider the Demon otherwise?

With a drill and tap, it is easy to thread most any carb for air bleeds. Or you can simply drill the orifices out if they need to be larger. And in most cases, the only ones that get adjusted are the idle air bleeds. Adjusting the fuel curve with the main air bleeds is not where most beginning tuners go.

For most beginning Holley tuners, the IFRs, IABs, PVCRs, main jets, and the Transition slot feed holes are the areas that give you the most improvement in driveability. (assuming this is a street car) And the T-slots and PVCRs rarely have screw-in jets anyway.

You may find that having a drill bit and tap or a selection of wire bits will let you pick a better choice of carb for your application rather than concentrating on looking for one that already has the screw-in bleeds.

Master, again and still
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: DaveRS23] #1689677
10/24/14 12:40 PM
10/24/14 12:40 PM
Savannah, GA
mopar400 Offline OP
mopar400  Offline OP

Savannah, GA
Thanks guys. Just trying to make up my mind on what to do.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: DaveRS23] #1689678
10/24/14 12:50 PM
10/24/14 12:50 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Screw-in bleeds and such are not an absolute necessity for tuning those circuits. And may narrow your field of choice of carbs down too much. For instance, if it weren't for the screw-in bleeds, would you consider the Demon otherwise?

With a drill and tap, it is easy to thread most any carb for air bleeds. Or you can simply drill the orifices out if they need to be larger. And in most cases, the only ones that get adjusted are the idle air bleeds. Adjusting the fuel curve with the main air bleeds is not where most beginning tuners go.

For most beginning Holley tuners, the IFRs, IABs, PVCRs, main jets, and the Transition slot feed holes are the areas that give you the most improvement in driveability. (assuming this is a street car) And the T-slots and PVCRs rarely have screw-in jets anyway.

You may find that having a drill bit and tap or a selection of wire bits will let you pick a better choice of carb for your application rather than concentrating on looking for one that already has the screw-in bleeds.

I disagree w/most of what you posted here. Why do you think carb companies came into the 20th century and created tuneable circuits instead of fixed rich idle unhappy cruise characteristics holley was and is known for. I guess we don`t need widebands either. And if you think I`m a beginner definately not so. No expert either but every and I mean EVERY carb I touch gets better, faster and cleaner.........PERIOD. Probably because of all of those "unnecessary" holes that are perfect out of the box. You my man are giving out poor info to a guy that wants to learn and closing the door. I`m not wasting any more time on this w/you the guy that comes in after my post and tries to put down mine and some of the best carb guys in the world practices which are proven to work..................

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689679
10/24/14 12:53 PM
10/24/14 12:53 PM
Savannah, GA
mopar400 Offline OP
mopar400  Offline OP

Savannah, GA
My current 850 only has metering screws on the primary side. Idle seems pretty rich to me on the current 440 in sig. No wide band to confirm. I don't know the list number because the choke horn had been milled off from PO. I assume I would also benefit from a new metering block ect. on the rear to add the 4 corner idle. New base, plate and atleast 1 meter block starts adding up and that is why I'm considering a new carb. instead.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689680
10/24/14 01:02 PM
10/24/14 01:02 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
It can be made to work and w/that set up try to set the ft. idle screws to where a bit of t-slot is exposed looking from under the carb(.020 roughly) then set the idle w/the secondary screws and if that doesn`t get it close it`s metering block/body drillin and tappin time but it would be better w/four corner idle imo. The idle/transition and cruise are hard to dial in on some but when you find the balance between the idle mixture screws, idle bleeds, t-slot and ifr`s it music baby.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: Thumperdart] #1689681
10/24/14 02:35 PM
10/24/14 02:35 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree w/most of what you posted here. Why do you think carb companies came into the 20th century and created tuneable circuits instead of fixed rich idle unhappy cruise characteristics holley was and is known for. I guess we don`t need widebands either. And if you think I`m a beginner definately not so. No expert either but every and I mean EVERY carb I touch gets better, faster and cleaner.........PERIOD. Probably because of all of those "unnecessary" holes that are perfect out of the box. You my man are giving out poor info to a guy that wants to learn and closing the door. I`m not wasting any more time on this w/you the guy that comes in after my post and tries to put down mine and some of the best carb guys in the world practices which are proven to work..................

What are you talking about?

I in no way implied that you were a beginner. It would seem from the question he asked that the OP was the beginning tuner. Now take a deep breath and back away from the key board.

NEWSFLASH THUMPER; Carbs that do not have screw-in bleeds and jets can still be tuned. That was the primary point of my post. I am sorry that you disagree with that. But that is your problem, please don't visit that mistake on the OP.

Air and fuel are metered by the size of the orifice they flow through. They have no way of knowing if the orifice is drilled in brass and screws in or if the orifice is drilled directly in the aluminum itself.

You are implying that if the carb does not have screw-in bleeds and jets that it is not tuneable. Why the obsession with needing to screw a bleed or jet in? And if you had taken the time to rationally read my post, you would have noted that I offered the suggestion of threading the orifices for bleeds and jets if the OP was more comfortable with that.

Why do you not believe that the OP can drill and tap the carb for screw-in bleeds and jets? It is not that hard. But it is also not necessary in order to tune a carb.

You may not be a beginner Thumper, but you are closed minded and defensive.

Relax, Francis.

Master, again and still
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: DaveRS23] #1689682
10/24/14 03:09 PM
10/24/14 03:09 PM
Savannah, GA
mopar400 Offline OP
mopar400  Offline OP

Savannah, GA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I in no way implied that you were a beginner. It would seem from the question he asked that the OP was the beginning tuner. Now take a deep breath and back away from the key board.

NEWSFLASH THUMPER; Carbs that do not have screw-in bleeds and jets can still be tuned. That was the primary point of my post. I am sorry that you disagree with that. But that is your problem, please don't visit that mistake on the OP.

Air and fuel are metered by the size of the orifice they flow through. They have no way of knowing if the orifice is drilled in brass and screws in or if the orifice is drilled directly in the aluminum itself.

You are implying that if the carb does not have screw-in bleeds and jets that it is not tuneable. Why the obsession with needing to screw a bleed or jet in? And if you had taken the time to rationally read my post, you would have noted that I offered the suggestion of threading the orifices for bleeds and jets if the OP was more comfortable with that.

Why do you not believe that the OP can drill and tap the carb for screw-in bleeds and jets? It is not that hard. But it is also not necessary in order to tune a carb.

Relax, Francis.

I understand the comments made by both of you. I didn't see your comment being directed at Thumper . If anything I believe you were saying the tuning can be done a cheaper way. That is a true statement but I don't have the time like 6 years ago before kids so the changeable screws would just make my life a little easier is what I'm thinking.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: mopar400] #1689683
10/24/14 03:27 PM
10/24/14 03:27 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Relax, Francis.

I understand the comments made by both of you. I didn't see your comment being directed at Thumper . If anything I believe you were saying the tuning can be done a cheaper way. That is a true statement but I don't have the time like 6 years ago before kids so the changeable screws would just make my life a little easier is what I'm thinking.

All I`m saying is that there`s more to tuning than jet changes. Yes, he can drill n tap but why bother cos that`s not needed sayz you. I don`t want to banter back n forth............you have your opinions and I have wet flow theory and the best in the business helping people all over the world better understand the affects of lower ifr`s in the head of the fuel being excellent for tuning and distribution...............less emulsion and on and on. Enjoy your day I`ve got a carb to fix..............

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: Thumperdart] #1689684
10/24/14 05:03 PM
10/24/14 05:03 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Thumper, I think this is just a mis-understanding. I did not say or mean to imply that these carbs cannot benefit from tuning. They can. I have never seen an OOTB carb that couldn't be improved, at least in the transitions.

I only suggested that there was more than one way to change the flow of the metering orifices. The OP prefers to have a carb with more of the bleeds and such already tapped. Had he have mentioned that, I would not have made the suggestion, as it would have been unnecessary.

I would like to ask one question though. Are there many popular carbs with the PVCRs and T-slots already equipped with the small jets? I have not run into any myself. And those two areas nearly always need some attention, in my experience. So, no matter how the air bleeds are, I end up needing drill bits and such for those.

I honestly meant my original suggestion as a means to help the OP, not to argue any particular point.

Master, again and still
Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: DaveRS23] #1689685
10/24/14 05:08 PM
10/24/14 05:08 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Thumper, I think this is just a mis-understanding. I did not say or mean to imply that these carbs cannot benefit from tuning. They can. I have never seen an OOTB carb that couldn't be improved, at least in the transitions.

I only suggested that there was more than one way to change the flow of the metering orifices. The OP prefers to have a carb with more of the bleeds and such already tapped. Had he have mentioned that, I would not have made the suggestion, as it would have been unnecessary.

I would like to ask one question though. Are there many popular carbs with the PVCRs and T-slots already equipped with the small jets? I have not run into any myself. And those two areas nearly always need some attention, in my experience. So, no matter how the air bleeds are, I end up needing drill bits and such for those.

I honestly meant my original suggestion as a means to help the OP, not to argue any particular point.

We`re good man and no disrespect given or taken. I hear ya and agree to a point about the t-slot jets but again, the baddest use these techniques and are being proven by myself and MANY others.............just because it isn`t common prectice doesn`t mean it doesn`t work. Peace!

Last edited by Thumperdart; 10/24/14 06:15 PM.

Re: 850 Demon info. [Re: Thumperdart] #1689686
10/25/14 11:38 PM
10/25/14 11:38 PM
Savannah, GA
mopar400 Offline OP
mopar400  Offline OP

Savannah, GA
Well, he finally gave me the numbers and some info. The Demon is a blow through carb. Atleast I'm in no hurry and can keep looking..........