Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

my question is why even worry about it? I have never checked nor really give a flip if they are off a little. unless you are doing something very specific or searching for every bit of HP you can get what does it matter? there are thousands of motors built and last for a long period of time with no problems.

Thousands of motors out there running as well that never have the clearances checked either...........do you advocate that as well?

Are we building motors RIGHT......or are we just throwing them together and hoping for the best.........or are we just doing something in between.

Right is right.....half azz is half azz

Monte

call it what ever you want, mine seem to run prrety dang good and last for quite a while so I could care less.

Re: What is Proper Rocker Arm Geometry? [Re: Quicktree] #1685531
10/14/14 06:50 PM
10/14/14 06:50 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

my question is why even worry about it? I have never checked nor really give a flip if they are off a little. unless you are doing something very specific or searching for every bit of HP you can get what does it matter? there are thousands of motors built and last for a long period of time with no problems.

Thousands of motors out there running as well that never have the clearances checked either...........do you advocate that as well?

Are we building motors RIGHT......or are we just throwing them together and hoping for the best.........or are we just doing something in between.

Monte

call it what ever you want, mine seem to run prrety dang good and last for quite a while so I could care less.

Well carry on then......but no reason to tell everyone else it doesn't matter and they shouldn't care.

Monte

Re: What is Proper Rocker Arm Geometry? [Re: Monte_Smith] #1685532
10/14/14 07:35 PM
10/14/14 07:35 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well carry on then......but no reason to tell everyone else it doesn't matter and they shouldn't care.

Monte

i didn't tell anyone anything, look again i asked why. like I said it makes zero difference to me and most bracket racers. I could care lees if it's a .1 slower. it's obvious it has no bearing on longevity and I don't know very many bracket or index racers that bother with trying to find out if it's off or not. it's a pretty much given they are off.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: clonestocker] #1685533
10/14/14 08:43 PM
10/14/14 08:43 PM
Tucson AZ,
M
MadMopars Offline OP
pro stock
MadMopars  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Tucson AZ,
I ran the car Saturday utilizing the "mid lift theory". I swapped back to my previous setup Saturday night with the intentions of testing again on Sunday. Unfortunately, I was sick on Sunday morning and was unable to return to the track.

I concluded the performance loss from the other 100+ runs I have made with the car in similar conditions. Not ideal, but it is what is. I can go more in depth with weather specifics from comparative runs if need be.

Regardless, loss of the effectiveness of a camshaft seems like a notable flaw that is very rarely mentioned. I personally will not be sweeping it under the rug. As such, I guess I was looking for opinions regarding the subject and how to find a middle ground. The more I research this subject though the more I think its either a big guarded secret or the majority are just plain happy not knowing.

Since I think it's to late for me to go back to the latter of the two groups, if anyone has any input regarding optimal valvetrain geometry which also effectively utilizes the camshaft I certainly look forward to your input.

[img]https://s9.postimg.cc/6fbjxzfvv/48-2016-_Drag-_Weekend-_Best-_Burnouts-lpr.jpg[/img]

73 GTX *440*727*8 3/4*
69 DART GT *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
73 ROAD RUNNER *451*4 SPEED*DANA*
64 F100 *383*4 SPEED*9"*
75 DODGE D300 *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
99 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 DUALLY... ON 38"s
Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: MadMopars] #1685534
10/14/14 10:17 PM
10/14/14 10:17 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Quote:

Quote:

Has this been corroborated on a dyno, as in you KNOW you make less power or is the car just running a little slower ET.............Where on the track did it slow? Is it early, in the middle or on the top end. If the car runs the same speed it ran before, it makes the same power. You just may not be getting it down as consistently or as easily as you were before.

My point is that it seems hard for me to believe that MORE revs and better stability has cost you power

Monte

Monte,

The car slowed across the board, from 60' out the car was slower. The trap RPM and MPH were down as well.

The reason for this loss of performance in my opinion is this...

Valvetrain Geometry affects net lift at the valve as well as effective duration.

rocker geometry/pushrod length will change SPEED, stability, and lift at the valve, but not duration.(given the same lash settings)
You can "play" with fulcrum points to speed up or slow down off the seat velocity. You may have accidentally set up the engine originally with this "trick". You may have been using the engine in the range that the effects worked... and that's great. But now you've traded some of that speed for durability. You pay the toll on either side of the fence.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: TRENDZ] #1685535
10/14/14 11:11 PM
10/14/14 11:11 PM
Kalispell Mt.
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
Happy Birthday HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here

Kalispell Mt.
There is no perfect rocker geometry for every situation. Maybe your valve train is stable enough you can change valve lift velocities to take advantage of head flow, if you heads flow real good up high you may get more power setting it up to get max velocity at peak valve lift and get a tiny extra lift but you can't do that if your valve train can't handle some weird harmonics you introduced. Maybe you heads flow real good at low lift, you may gain some power by setting the rockers to yank the valve off the seat faster, course it don't help if your valve starts bouncing because you close it too fast. You just got to experiment and figure out what works best on your combo.

For most guys getting the roller center/shaft center/ PR pivot 90* at 1/2 lift will be close enough, for the last 1% of guys they need to do some experimenting on either side of that.

Some times you want a RPM intake for best performance but sometimes you need the Super victor

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: MadMopars] #1685536
10/14/14 11:34 PM
10/14/14 11:34 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

Has this been corroborated on a dyno, as in you KNOW you make less power or is the car just running a little slower ET.............Where on the track did it slow? Is it early, in the middle or on the top end. If the car runs the same speed it ran before, it makes the same power. You just may not be getting it down as consistently or as easily as you were before.

My point is that it seems hard for me to believe that MORE revs and better stability has cost you power

Monte

Monte,

The car slowed across the board, from 60' out the car was slower. The trap RPM and MPH were down as well.

The reason for this loss of performance in my opinion is this...

Valvetrain Geometry affects net lift at the valve as well as effective duration.

This is what is missing from many discussions regarding valvetrain geometry.

So by running less than optimal geometry you may have increased lift. If the performance loss wasn't due to conditions I would suggest you have the wrong cam. Why run the wrong geometry to increase lift and sacrifice stability and rpm range? Swaping a cam with proper duration, lift, LCA, and centerline would be a gain all around.
Doug

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: MadMopars] #1685537
10/15/14 01:12 PM
10/15/14 01:12 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Tag to read later when I have more time.
Different valve lengths will change the contact point and geometry quite a bit.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: 451Mopar] #1685538
10/15/14 01:32 PM
10/15/14 01:32 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

I am surprised the geometry guru that popped up a few months ago hasn't jumped on this

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: Quicktree] #1685539
10/15/14 02:29 PM
10/15/14 02:29 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

I am surprised the geometry guru that popped up a few months ago hasn't jumped on this

Maybe he`s sick of the "Experts" tellin him he`s crazy and doesn`t know what he`s talking about............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: MadMopars] #1685540
10/15/14 02:32 PM
10/15/14 02:32 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

I concluded the performance loss from the other 100+ runs I have made with the car in similar conditions. Not ideal, but it is what is. I can go more in depth with weather specifics from comparative runs if need be.

It would help to know how much of a performance loss you've seen and how much could be attributed to the changing atmospheric conditions. I've seen some pretty noticeable gains & losses due to that myself.
Quote:

... if anyone has any input regarding optimal valvetrain geometry which also effectively utilizes the camshaft I certainly look forward to your input.

My ... you probably have improved the valve train dynamics while reducing how aggressive the engine "saw" the cam. Now that you've addressed one potential issue, you can look into running different lobes to see about a performance improvement.

That's why you've got roller lobes designed for endurance applications that don't beat the sh!t outta the valve train and ultra-aggressive lobes that are designed to kick the valves open for more torque, yet require more spring load / limited RPM capabilities / increased maintenance schedules.

Like others have said, it's always a trade off. I don't know what else can be said about this.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: Quicktree] #1685541
10/15/14 02:36 PM
10/15/14 02:36 PM
North Sweden
R
RT540 Offline
top fuel
RT540  Offline
top fuel
R

North Sweden
No one has mentioned the low pivot geometry.

Jesel.com and in the Tech Tips FAQ have some insite in why they think this is important with high spring pressure.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: Thumperdart] #1685542
10/15/14 06:28 PM
10/15/14 06:28 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe he`s sick of the "Experts" tellin him he`s crazy and doesn`t know what he`s talking about............

you must have not been paying attention. no one told him that they were getting on his case because he was trying to pimp his product. nice try though.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: Quicktree] #1685543
10/15/14 08:53 PM
10/15/14 08:53 PM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
i'm not going to say it doesn't matter because it does. personally i don't get my panties in a wad over it. i mock the valvetrain, roll it over and eyeball stuff. as long as nothing looks terribly amiss i run it.

i think this is one of those things people like to "discuss" but for most guys unless there's something terribly out of whack imho they should concentrate efforts elsewhere

i wouldn't put iron rockers on a prostock and i wouldn't put a dry sump on a 10 second bracket car

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: RT540] #1685544
10/15/14 08:57 PM
10/15/14 08:57 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Low pivot is the way to go with high spring pressure. Mid-lift works well for moderate spring pressure.

The low pivot setup puts the rocker arm perpendicular to the valve at 2/3 lift rather than mid-lift. Consequently you have more scrub at low lift (low spring force) but less scrub at high lift (high spring force)

The old Chevy engine builder guide from 30 years ago recommended low pivot for high spring pressure but even though it has been around for a long time not too many people talk about. Most everyone recommends the mid-lift method including most of the cam company websites.

It takes a ton of work to do the low pivot method on a stock Mopar head. Relocating the shaft is a pain. Longer valves with shorter rocker arms is one way to skin the cat or mill off the pedastals and use Max Wedge style blocks for the shafts.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: AndyF] #1685545
10/16/14 08:25 AM
10/16/14 08:25 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

here is my theory, at my level it is not significant enough to make a big difference. if some of you think it is give us some facts. like HP difference and dyno info/ life of the motor etc. I haven't seen anyone offering anything but unproven opinion. and yes I do visually check contact points through the motion but I have never worried about if the geometry is off a little. I am sure at high levels it becomes more crucial.

Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: AndyF] #1685546
10/16/14 12:16 PM
10/16/14 12:16 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Low pivot is the way to go with high spring pressure. Mid-lift works well for moderate spring pressure.

The low pivot setup puts the rocker arm perpendicular to the valve at 2/3 lift rather than mid-lift. Consequently you have more scrub at low lift (low spring force) but less scrub at high lift (high spring force)

The old Chevy engine builder guide from 30 years ago recommended low pivot for high spring pressure but even though it has been around for a long time not too many people talk about. Most everyone recommends the mid-lift method including most of the cam company websites.

It takes a ton of work to do the low pivot method on a stock Mopar head. Relocating the shaft is a pain. Longer valves with shorter rocker arms is one way to skin the cat or mill off the pedastals and use Max Wedge style blocks for the shafts.

Pretty sue the factory small block Chevy engines were and are set up using the 2/3 lift method. My brother recently purchased a Chevy 350 crate motor that was set up that way. I'm sure it is all about longevity on a factory stock motor.

Fastest 300
Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: Quicktree] #1685547
10/16/14 12:18 PM
10/16/14 12:18 PM
Tucson AZ,
M
MadMopars Offline OP
pro stock
MadMopars  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Tucson AZ,
Quote:

here is my theory, at my level it is not significant enough to make a big difference. if some of you think it is give us some facts. like HP difference and dyno info/ life of the motor etc. I haven't seen anyone offering anything but unproven opinion. and yes I do visually check contact points through the motion but I have never worried about if the geometry is off a little. I am sure at high levels it becomes more crucial.

Just curious, in your opinion is .025 net lift loss significant? I ask because that's what I've lost by changing my geometry.

I also gain and or lose over 400 useable RPM in my shift points by changing the geometry.

Still not to worry about?

[img]https://s9.postimg.cc/6fbjxzfvv/48-2016-_Drag-_Weekend-_Best-_Burnouts-lpr.jpg[/img]

73 GTX *440*727*8 3/4*
69 DART GT *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
73 ROAD RUNNER *451*4 SPEED*DANA*
64 F100 *383*4 SPEED*9"*
75 DODGE D300 *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
99 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 DUALLY... ON 38"s
Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: MadMopars] #1685548
10/16/14 12:27 PM
10/16/14 12:27 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Just curious, in your opinion is .025 net lift loss significant? I ask because that's what I've lost by changing my geometry.

I also gain and or lose over 400 useable RPM in my shift points by changing the geometry.

Still not to worry about?

Keep in mind, you will loose .025 - .030 lift ( based on the cam specs ) on a sm blk just because of the push rod angle. Sorry, didn't mean to jump in.

Fastest 300
Re: What is Proper Valvetrain Geometry? [Re: Crizila] #1685549
10/16/14 12:40 PM
10/16/14 12:40 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
What about p-rod deflection? George Koople and myself just for giggles mocked up my rpm`s to achieve optimum geometry and we would of had to raise my shafts WAY up to get it right based on my valve lengths and rockers or cut the stands and go from there. When I ran smallblocks, the sweep sucked on the different rockers I tried and usually started outboard towards the ex. and got worse at mid and full lifts and wore out the guides fairly quickly in my 11-second daily driver. The BB`s however are WAY better in terms of mid and full lifts although not perfect and the p-rod angles are great. The best I ever saw was at Pettis on a BB Chubby and Jesel rockers...........damn near perfect.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5