Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I agree on the value of an original fender tag. I have bought cars without them and with them. I have never bought a car that was restored and the fender tag was in question. An original unrestored car needs to be documented with plenty of pictures BEFORE a restoration is started. That is the best way of determining if a car is legit. I have had one fender tag made. I had the IBM copy from Chrysler Historical so the information was correct. I sold the car as a project car in an unrestored condition. I sold it with the non original block. I disclosed to the buyer that the fender tag was a reproduction fender tag. The car was restored and sold. I got a call from the new buyer wanting to know all about the car when I had possession of it. He had gotten my name from an outside source as once owning the car. NOW it was a matching number car with the original fender tag and he even had "the guru" verification to prove it. He wanted all of my prior restoration photos to see the evidence. Well, I could see where this was going and politely informed him he really did not want to go there and be happy with the deal he got on the car. So you see the problem with a reproduction tag or build sheet is the fraud that can occur years down the road. After all we are only temporary keepers of the cars we own now. I will never make another tag for this reason. The only consolation that came from my deal was the crook lost his shirt when he sold the car.

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: 62maxwgn] #1679330
01/19/15 03:17 AM
01/19/15 03:17 AM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore

Ed,you can go one step farther,if a repop tag is considered a fake/fraud,then I guess that could call all repop parts fake/fraud.

there are a big difference between them
one you have to quess as to what it looks like
the other there is no guessing required!

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: flypaper] #1679331
01/19/15 06:19 AM
01/19/15 06:19 AM
San Francisco
D
dilvoy Offline
super stock
dilvoy  Offline
super stock
D

San Francisco
Quote:

Ed,you can go one step farther,if a repop tag is considered a fake/fraud,then I guess that could call all repop parts fake/fraud.

there are a big difference between them
one you have to quess as to what it looks like
the other there is no guessing required!

I think that you are exactly right. I had some fake cuda rubber bumpers made by Gene Gregory that I sold off after I sold the Cuda, so I don't have any more fake mopar parts. Thank goodness for that. Anyone who puts them on a car is a fraud and is controlled by greed if they use repro parts instead of proper and correct originals, unless ofcourse, they declare it upon listing the car for sale. Then they are just guilty of using cheaper parts so they can save money. Fraud Alert!

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: dilvoy] #1679332
01/19/15 03:40 PM
01/19/15 03:40 PM
68gtx Offline
enthusiast
68gtx  Offline
enthusiast

Fastmark Your reproduction fender tag from an IBM card had nothing to do with the new owner committing fraud.He would have restamped the block and had his own tag made anyway. You realize that right? People are doing this everyday. The GM and Ford people do it a little different. They just do it right out in the open and don't even try to hide it.Protecta-cards. trim tags made daily just look online. Marti not only makes new tags, but sends you a report along with it. When I showed Corvettes it was common practice to have blocks stamped.You had to disclose that fact at the show but still is acceptable.If you are buying a car for investment you need to know what you are looking at. And if you are basing your purchase on the fender tag alone you need to find a new investment.If you buy a car and then after the purchase start questioning the validity of the car or documents shame on you for not doing more homework or asking the right questions before the purchase. Greedy people are just that, and we will never stop them.It does not matter what car manufacture it is this stuff is going on with all of them. I even see some parts cars being sold with all good documents FT BS titles service records window stickers all the time. Ebay just had a 4 speed GTX that was a piece of rust nothing to restore. The ad was very clear as to what he was selling the documents.What do you do?????

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: 69CoronetRT] #1679333
01/20/15 05:33 AM
01/20/15 05:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Why would you devalue a car because it is missing a a piece of metal that provides limited information at best?

Because an original fender tag provides, at least, minimal documentation and is one undisputable piece of evidence as to how the car was originally built and equipped. Remove it and everything that is listed on the tag comes into question. Color. Transmission. Options.

Not every car had or has a correct broadcast sheet or other documentation. EVERY car had a fender tag.

Is it the sole piece of documentation one should consider? No. Is it a very important piece? Yes.

By that same thinking, EVERY car had a window sticker. That was something that was federally mandated yet a lot of people don't get them.

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: 68gtx] #1679334
01/20/15 12:30 PM
01/20/15 12:30 PM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
I think Larry hit the nail on the head. I've mentioned this before, but a few yrs ago when Mopar prices were crazy high, my bro bought a gorgeous, restored blue 68 GTX from a "high end", dealer who sells on ebay. Paid over $40K for the GTX & I remember the tag catching my eye because the info was so "perfectly" stamped. Some drunk vendor at MATS came up & said it was a fake & was orig gold, but I dissed the guy as crazy. But a few yrs later & 6 months after my bro sold the "GTX" to pay for his daughters college tuition, he got a call from both the new owner & law enforcement detectives asking if he knew the car was a fake... and "dealer" is still selling on ebag so guess he didn't know before he restored the car that it was a fake??? Me, I want a tag on the fender because I think my car looks a bit "naked" without it. Recently got the IMB card & doocumented history on my 64 Belvedere back from Chrysler Historical & was overjoyed to discover its a Lynch Road, 426 Commando 4 spd car & only option was a heater. So I contacted a VERY reputable sponsor of this site & had a couple of tags made. One that from is research looks like what it MAY have come with & another one that's actually going on the fender. If I ever sell the car (hope I never have to), will I disclose the tag's a repop? Absolutely.

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: Triggerfish] #1679335
01/20/15 11:07 PM
01/20/15 11:07 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Obviously a fake because of the word BELVEDRE instead of BELVEDERE!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: Triggerfish] #1679336
01/20/15 11:19 PM
01/20/15 11:19 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Cool tag Buzz (and hilarious that they miss-spelled Belvedere)

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1679337
01/21/15 01:23 AM
01/21/15 01:23 AM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
Quote:

Cool tag Buzz (and hilarious that they miss-spelled Belvedere)

Ya know, owning a print shop, I'm constantly proofing EVERYTHING & can't
believe I missed this one!... Sure appreciate you guys catching it & also wanted to change the wording a bit anyway, so now this is the reason to do it.. I sure wouldn't wanted to have led some poor Mopar fan to think
it was a REAL, Real Deal!... LOL, think its time for another beer...

8403191-64intow.jpg (187 downloads)
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: Rhinodart] #1679338
01/21/15 01:25 AM
01/21/15 01:25 AM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
Quote:

Obviously a fake because of the word BELVEDRE instead of BELVEDERE!

Must've had some foreigner working the assembly line that day...LOL,
Lynch road guys can't even spell currectly!

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: RestoRick] #1679339
01/23/15 09:37 AM
01/23/15 09:37 AM
Florida (FL)
T
Trifecta Offline
Trifecta  Offline
T

Florida (FL)
Quote:

Safest method would be to soak it in Evaporust.
I've repaired holes in tags.

Followed your evaporust recommendation. Would be great to kow how you repaired the holes.

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: Trifecta] #1679340
02/28/15 10:14 PM
02/28/15 10:14 PM
Germany
F
fc7_plumcrazy Offline
master
fc7_plumcrazy  Offline
master
F

Germany
even though the broadcastsheet has more information of a car compared to the fender tag, I rather have the original fender tag then the Broadcastsheet.

Every car had a Fender Tag so it is part of the car itself to me

Carsten

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: Trifecta] #1679341
03/01/15 02:50 AM
03/01/15 02:50 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Quote:

how you repair the holes

I used body filler/putty out of a tube. JB Weld might work.

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: kentj340] #1679342
03/01/15 01:36 PM
03/01/15 01:36 PM
france
J
jose jones Offline
super stock
jose jones  Offline
super stock
J

france
A friend of mine purchased a very nice red Hemi RR 4 speed with white guts, He paid big bucks for the car. I looked the car over with basically a magnifying glass, It had the fender tag, It looked legit. He had Galen come to his home to look at the RR. Galen said this car was originally green with a green interior and a column shift automatic transmission. my friend was pissed, He ask Galen how he knew, Galen said I looked at it years ago when it was green with the real fender tag on it. So.... for all you guys saying a fender tag doesn't matter if it's a reproduction. My friend paid a bunch of money for what he thought was a red 4 speed Hemi car, It was still a Hemi car that part is true. But he never would have paid big bucks if he has known it was a green on green column shift automatic. I seriously doubt any of you think a green on green column auto is worth as much as a red 4 speed. The fender tag was redone to sell the car with more desirable options and the make more money on it period. My friend put the car up for sale, telling the truth about how the car was really optioned and took a 50K loss on the car. Many repo fender tags are done to make a car what it isn't to get more money out of it.

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: Trifecta] #1679343
03/01/15 11:29 PM
03/01/15 11:29 PM
West Central Wisconsin
D
DeMopuar Offline
enthusiast
DeMopuar  Offline
enthusiast
D

West Central Wisconsin
JB Weld epoxy is good for small holes, but for the larger ones, you will want to get good at using silver solder. Epoxy in large rust holes will just pop out -- not so with silver solder. You still need to get the rusty tag really super clean with Evaporust first -- and you will also need to get a dremel and be good with that too. Lots of shaping will need to be done to get it to look really good.

Re: Repop fender tag [Re: DeMopuar] #1679344
03/02/15 02:31 AM
03/02/15 02:31 AM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
M

Florida
One of my favorites.

8445956-IMG_2685.JPG (211 downloads)

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: mopar346] #1679345
03/02/15 10:07 AM
03/02/15 10:07 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Quote:

One of my favorites.

Can't find the attachment.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: 6PakBee] #1679346
03/02/15 11:11 AM
03/02/15 11:11 AM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
mopar346  Offline
M

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

One of my favorites.

Can't find the attachment.

Fised it.

I had a thoguht of making magnetic copies of my tags and screwing them to fender to keep my tags safe.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: mopar346] #1679347
03/02/15 11:40 PM
03/02/15 11:40 PM
mr norms avenue
5571 Offline
mopar
5571  Offline
mopar

mr norms avenue
Here is a thought:

Do a reproduction of your original tag, do it in aluminum (so its an obvious fake as the original is steel), and put next to it, another optional tag that says (original tag safe at home). I am not sure, but I bet datatags could do that? If you don't have an original tag when you go to sell the car (like some asking how to solve their problem on this thread), the new owner finds out you don't have it, no big deal. But you can enjoy car shows, and don't have to listen to the morons saying 'hey wheres the tags?' this would shut them up.

I have 2 friends with some pretty cool cars and real buildsheets, yet get tired of the critism of no tags, so this what I suggested for them to look into.

If someone is out there dumb enough to buy a car with an ALUMINUM tag, then they are idiots not doing their home work. For me, I could provide my steel original tags if one wanted, and I don't have to worry about some punk taking my tags (which if they got stolen I would be sick). There was a red gtx some kids stole the tags off across the road, while it was sitting outside for a night or 2. Now I read on this thread, someone lost their tags due to theft at a car show. Listen, Chevy guys don't bolt their protecto plates to their inner fender (no way in hell), they put them away in a safedeposit box, with their paper work, while mopar guys leave theirs out there exposed. A protecto plate is like the holy grail of documentation on a chevy, and its no different than a fender tag on a mopar, yet we treat them differently. We should wake up a bit.

The more I think about this, the more I think I want to do it. Going to hide the original tags away, while I enjoy my cars, and can walk away without worrying with the hood up at a show, or parked outside over night sometimes, etc.

Last edited by 5571; 03/02/15 11:59 PM.
Re: Repop fender tag [Re: 5571] #1679348
03/03/15 01:06 AM
03/03/15 01:06 AM
CA
C
cudino Offline
cudino  Offline
C

CA
Quote:

A protecto plate is like the holy grail of documentation on a chevy, and its no different than a fender tag on a mopar, yet we treat them differently. We should wake up a bit. The more I think about this, the more I think I want to do it. Going to hide the original tags away, while I enjoy my cars, and can walk away without worrying with the hood up at a show, or parked outside over night sometimes, etc.

I agree 100%. Particularly if it is a rare car, the original FT is far too important and valuable to just leave sitting on a car, secured by only 2 Phillips-head screws. The FT is one of the few parts of a car that is absolutely unique to that particular car, and is therefore irreplaceable. So, for every single one of my rare cars I made a fake/repop tag. The repop goes on the car, and the original is tucked away in a safe, along with all the other paperwork/sheet/etc. Very few bad people would consider stealing one off a car, but I just couldn't stomach the thought of coming back to my car at a car show and find my original FT was missing.

- Wade

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7