Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660337
08/19/14 11:59 PM
08/19/14 11:59 PM
ontario calif
N
ns1aar Offline
super stock
ns1aar  Offline
super stock
N

ontario calif
Had a SVO Mustang, ya I know it was wrong b ut it was a fun car. I had this problem and it was the PVC it would go into boost and blow everything thu the crankcase very abrupt loss of power

NS1AAR
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: ns1aar] #1660338
08/20/14 12:54 AM
08/20/14 12:54 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
That is something I can check into. Thanks.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660339
08/20/14 12:19 PM
08/20/14 12:19 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

The only thing that's even close to suspect was the short length of rubber tube to the wastegate. It was pretty crumbly and looked like it had taken some heat.

If the vacuum line to the wastegate is bad it will cause your problems.

That line pushes manifold pressure to the wastegate. If you were to pull it off, the wastegate would never open. That means the turbo would not stop making boost until the computer shut down the fuel or the pistons melted.

The wastegate has a spring pushing on a diaphragm. That's what holds it closed and makes the exhaust go through the turbo.
That vacuum line sends manifold pressure to the other side of the diaphragm. It pushes against the spring.
When the turbo spools up it will send boost pressure to fight that spring. Once the boost is stronger than the spring it forces the wastegate open and exhaust take a shortcut around the turbo. Boost pressures drop. Wastegate closes. More boost is made. Vicious cycle.

Under load, the boost pressure in that "vacuum" line and the spring come to a bit of an agreement. They balance one another and hold the boost steady. Very simple and rather ingenious. Self regulating.

An old trick to sneak more boost was to bleed a wee tiny bit of air out of the wastegate vacuum line. Doing this dropped the pressure on the back side of the WG. That means the turbo had to make more boost to overcome the WG spring.
Other guys cut the WG rod, threaded the two pieces, and slipped them together with a long nut. That let them adjust it like a tie rod.

Both of those things will upset the computer. It is programmed to shut down the fuel when the boost gets higher than allowed.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: feets] #1660340
09/01/14 02:57 AM
09/01/14 02:57 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Well, I replaced all my vacuum lines and installed a vacuum distribution block on the inner fender. Now I have a 3/8" vacuum line running from the intake to the block, and then just short 5/16" lines to the necessary solenoids.

The upside is the car idles infinitely better. However the problem under boost still persists.

I've got a week off starting Tuesday. Going to set up my A/F meter and fuel pressure gauge so I can monitor things while I'm driving. I'm starting to think I popped an intake gasket. I swear I can hear a whistling noise coming from the intake.

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660341
09/01/14 08:04 AM
09/01/14 08:04 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
The wastegate can could have gone bad, and you can check with a vacuum pump. The arm could also be frozen on the wastegate. Try hooking a intake vacuum line directly to the wastegate. This will open the wastegate ASAP giving you 7 psi or so and will prove if the can and valve is working or not and eliminate the solenoid.

Whistle in the intake isn't odd.

Overboost will flash the check engine light but you have to be paying attention for it when it happens.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: gdonovan] #1660342
09/01/14 11:14 PM
09/01/14 11:14 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Quote:

The wastegate can could have gone bad, and you can check with a vacuum pump. The arm could also be frozen on the wastegate. Try hooking a intake vacuum line directly to the wastegate. This will open the wastegate ASAP giving you 7 psi or so and will prove if the can and valve is working or not and eliminate the solenoid.

I will give that a try! Thanks!

Quote:

Overboost will flash the check engine light but you have to be paying attention for it when it happens.

I was watching for that. Not once did the light even flicker.

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660343
09/02/14 01:10 AM
09/02/14 01:10 AM
SD
Z
zrxkawboy Offline
super stock
zrxkawboy  Offline
super stock
Z

SD
I had an 89 Spirit 2.5 Turbo I that had a wastegate issue, and so was over-boosting. Instead of bucking, though, it simply felt like I'd let off the gas pedal, even if I kept it floored. Once the RPMs dropped to a certain point, it would pick back up again. I never had a CEL. I know this is 89 TI vs 87 TII, so there may be some differences, but thought I'd throw it out there. Wish I could remember more specifics, but it's been several years.

It's Swifty! Swifty, you toad sucker!
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: zrxkawboy] #1660344
09/02/14 03:14 AM
09/02/14 03:14 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Mine will still keep trying to accelerate if I keep my foot in it. However, out of fear of damaging something, I back off. I suppose if my wastegate actuator (vacuum pod) isn't working properly, that could cause the issue too, right?

I still have a Garret Turbo kicking around from my old Turbo Lebaron. I converted my Lebaron to TII, however I used the smaller Mitsubishi Turbo, packed this Garret up and put it aside. Worst case scenario, I can grab some parts off it.

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660345
09/02/14 05:33 AM
09/02/14 05:33 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Mine will still keep trying to accelerate if I keep my foot in it. However, out of fear of damaging something, I back off. I suppose if my wastegate actuator (vacuum pod) isn't working properly, that could cause the issue too, right?

Yes

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: gdonovan] #1660346
09/05/14 09:41 PM
09/05/14 09:41 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Well, I think I've ruled out both the Wastegate Solenoid and the Wastegate vacuum pod.

Earlier today, I tried running straight manifold vacuum to the wastegate pod. The bucking persisted.

Reconnected to the solenoid, and the bucking persisted.

Then later, a friend stopped by to help and we connected a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and went for a short drive. The first time I rolled into about 7 psi of boost, fuel pressure rose accordingly to 65psi and it was boosting smooth like before.

However, the rest of our drive we could not replicate that. Every time we rolled into boost fuel pressure brickwalled at 60psi and the bucking returned.

I'm thinking fuel filter at this point and failing that, pump. Once I replace the fuel filter, I will also try to 'deadhead' the pump to see what it's maximum fuel output is. That should give a better indication as to the condition of the pump.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660347
09/05/14 10:06 PM
09/05/14 10:06 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Well, I think I've ruled out both the Wastegate Solenoid and the Wastegate vacuum pod.

You have ruled out the solenoid only, the wastegate still can be bad.

Quote:

Every time we rolled into boost fuel pressure brickwalled at 60psi and the bucking returned.

Remember base pressure is 55 psi- 10 pounds of boost will = 65 psi of fuel pressure. You need to verify what you have for boost pressure. With the wastegate hooked to the intake you should in theory have 7 psi of boost or so about 60 psi of fuel pressure would be very close to correct.

Any pressure gauge hooked up to the intake will do, even an old carb fuel pressure gauge.

Quote:

I'm thinking fuel filter at this point and failing that, pump.

I would have done fuel filter on general principle long ago, they are cheap and people ignore them since the are located out back out of sight.

Quote:

Once I replace the fuel filter, I will also try to 'deadhead' the pump to see what it's maximum fuel output is.

If you are going to do this be VERY VERY careful and do not do it longer than a second or two. The early cars used a Bosch pump that would exceed 100 psi in a heartbeat.

Squeeze off the return line at the regulator while watching the gauge, if it heads north of 70 psi stop instantly.

Fuel spraying around at high pressure is a bad thing.

This will also only test the pumps pressure output, volume not so much.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660348
09/05/14 10:11 PM
09/05/14 10:11 PM
Mohnton, Pa
DodgeCharger Offline
master
DodgeCharger  Offline
master

Mohnton, Pa
Did you check all of the vacuum lines under the dash for a leak. My son has a charger and there was a connector with a bunch of vacuum lines connected to hit that basically fell apart from age. The plastic became brittle.
Good luck.

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: DodgeCharger] #1660349
09/05/14 10:36 PM
09/05/14 10:36 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
I will totally feel like an idiot if it turns out to be the fuel filter - you are right - that is something I should have changed a year ago when I bought the car. It ran good so I just assumed and that there was my mistake.

That one time we had 65psi of fuel, my boost gauge was showing over 5psi boost.

But the other times it was stopping at 60psi and the boost gauge tried climbing, but couldn't with the bucking. So, I'm very much thinking now it's been fuel related all along.

DodgeCharger: All vacuum lines under the hood have been replaced along with the line to the boost gauge. The one from the brake booster to the heater control is still the factory one, but it checked out good and rather than changing a bunch of fittings, I simply re-used it. This car is a Shelby, so I don't have cruise control or anything else (thankfully)

I think I'm getting closer and narrowing down all the possibilities. Couldn't do it without your guys' direction though - and I think you for your help! Hopefully I'll have some good news to report soon!

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660350
09/05/14 11:07 PM
09/05/14 11:07 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

I will totally feel like an idiot if it turns out to be the fuel filter - you are right - that is something I should have changed a year ago when I bought the car.

Filters were a common problem, awful hard on the pumps too.

Its happened to me as well, its out of sight and out of mind. I had one plug up on my Caravan on a trip home from Detroit.

I was on my back at 2AM in a dark dirt parking lot on 80 East in Pennsylvania and I swear I could hear banjo's in the distance as I was trying to blow out the filter.

I never seen a truck stop with a dirt parking lot before.

After that I changed fuel filters on a regular basis, usually when I do spark plugs even though I think filters were rated for 75k or 85k

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: gdonovan] #1660351
09/06/14 12:20 AM
09/06/14 12:20 AM
Raleighwood
2Bad360sfromNC Offline
top fuel
2Bad360sfromNC  Offline
top fuel

Raleighwood
The filter may very well fix it. If you have enough hose to tape your fuel pressure gauge to the windshield, drive the car around for a good while to make sure the pump gets as hot as it's going to get (not sure how long you drove it to do your test). My old pump would go for 20 minutes or so fine, then drop down to 30 or so p.s.i. and barely even run. I was used to pumps dying instantly if they were bad, so it took me a bit to figure that out.

(Edit: re-read and saw you'd already taken care of the FPR)

Once you get it sorted out, I highly recommend a 3-bar setup and more boost (and a wideband)--it's tons of fun. Here's a pic of what I've been up to this week for inspiration.

8262379-motor.jpg (279 downloads)
Last edited by 2Bad360sfromNC; 09/06/14 12:31 AM.

1968 Charger project. I don't have a fender tag or a buildsheet, so it's getting a 440. Help me decide on a color--most everything looks great! (NOT white. My Challenger is white. Need some variety :D)
1974 Challenger 360
2012 Challenger R/T
1991 Dakota 5.2
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: 2Bad360sfromNC] #1660352
09/06/14 03:50 AM
09/06/14 03:50 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline OP
master
That AMC Guy  Offline OP
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
2Bad360: Your engine looks like the one I did up for my Lebaron coupe a few years ago.

I just want this ol' gal to be running and reliable again before I got putting any more mods to her. I think my next big purchase will be a bobble-strut replacement so the engine will quit flopping around!

I don't have a pic but I did a similar vacuum block setup to mine recently. Except I ran a 3/8" vacuum line from the intake down to the inner fender, and then from the block ran 5/16" rubber to all the necessary solenoids and for the gauge. Much cleaner setup if'n you ask me. Funny thing was, upon inspection all my plastic vacuum lines were in good shape and still very pliable. Oh well.

Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: That AMC Guy] #1660353
09/06/14 12:37 PM
09/06/14 12:37 PM
Raleighwood
2Bad360sfromNC Offline
top fuel
2Bad360sfromNC  Offline
top fuel

Raleighwood
It would look better somewhere else, but shorter vacuum lines seem to allow the turbo to spool faster.

1968 Charger project. I don't have a fender tag or a buildsheet, so it's getting a 440. Help me decide on a color--most everything looks great! (NOT white. My Challenger is white. Need some variety :D)
1974 Challenger 360
2012 Challenger R/T
1991 Dakota 5.2
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: 2Bad360sfromNC] #1660354
09/06/14 01:33 PM
09/06/14 01:33 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

It would look better somewhere else, but shorter vacuum lines seem to allow the turbo to spool faster.

Err, false at least on these cars.

The wastegate default is closed position which will already maximize spoolup.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: gdonovan] #1660355
09/06/14 03:11 PM
09/06/14 03:11 PM
Raleighwood
2Bad360sfromNC Offline
top fuel
2Bad360sfromNC  Offline
top fuel

Raleighwood
Quote:

Quote:

Err, false at least on these cars.

The wastegate default is closed position which will already maximize spoolup.

It is closed in the absence of vacuum, when the engine is off or at WOT, but what about when the car is running, it's under vacuum and open, right? (Stick car, no brake-boosting) I'm not arguing, just trying to learn more. I feel pretty confident tinkering with the car, but I know you have way more experience with them than I do. I went from very long lines to much shorter ones, and it sure felt quicker. I have no hard data for it, unless the old "butt dyno" matters.

1974 Challenger 360
2012 Challenger R/T
1991 Dakota 5.2
Re: '87 Shelby Daytona: Cutting Out/Bucking when Boosting [Re: 2Bad360sfromNC] #1660356
09/06/14 04:47 PM
09/06/14 04:47 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

It is closed in the absence of vacuum, when the engine is off or at WOT, but what about when the car is running, it's under vacuum and open, right? (Stick car, no brake-boosting) I'm not arguing, just trying to learn more. :

The wastegate is spring loaded in the closed position, the only thing at all that will open it is boost pressure supplied by the wastegate solinoid when the engine is under boost of course.

"I think its got a hemi"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4