05/05/14 08:34 PM
05/05/14 08:34 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
I know this topic has been posted on and commented about MANY times, but I'm in need of some feedback on some recent experiences with the various suppliers/manufacturers of Mopar dash pads. As with the crappy interior Palco panels that the previous owner chose to install, the dash pad (although nice looking from 50') is also crap. It is one of those made with a plastic (ABS) core, and there are extreme fitment issues (see photos). Since I am redoing my entire interior, and have the dash almost fully assembled (out of the car), I just won't be satisfied with installing it with this dash pad. So (once again), it looks like I'll have to shell out some more $$$ for satisfaction and peace-of-mind. I have searched this site and read many post about dash pads. Regarding the various manufactures who sell "steel core" dash pads: I know some (if not many) have had issues with UR pads, but what about the others? There is Dash Pad Pros, Just Dashes, Carolina Super Dash (aka:Superior Dash), etc. I want to buy the best fitting, most correct pad, at the fairest price. I feel that JD pricing is extreme. Can't seem to get much info on Carolina (but have found a phone number/email contact), and those that have bought/installed them seem to be satisfied. Is Carolina associated in some way with UR? Don't know much about Dash Pad Pros, but I know others have made posts inquiring about them. Strange, but interesting is that Dash Pad Pros and Ultimate Rides (aka: Dash Masters) are both located in El Paso, TX. Possibly UR has recently started operating under a second/new/different business name because of ALL the trouble customers have had dealing with them (i.e. Alan Foxx) directly. I know they used to have an "F" rating on BBB, but that has recently changed to a "B" rating somehow. Been reading a lot of interesting horror stories on various Mopar forum sites regarding nightmares in dealing directly with Alan. Still trying to decide which way to go. I will need a 3-speaker, non-AC, '70 Challenger dash pad. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616693
05/06/14 02:44 PM
05/06/14 02:44 PM
SE Wisconsin, USA
RP's R/T's Offline
super stock
RP's R/T's  Offline
super stock

SE Wisconsin, USA
Sorry to see the problem you are dealing with.
Personally, I would go with the Just Dashes as I hate to have problems getting everything installed and/or dealing with a lousy appearance.
The plastic core versions bite.
I have heard that Ultimate Ride versions with the steel frame (original framework) fit decent. But I have also heard not to work through Alan Foxx.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: RP's R/T's] #1616694
05/06/14 03:35 PM
05/06/14 03:35 PM
Connecticut
jeff968 Offline
master
jeff968  Offline
master

Connecticut
I have the ultimate rides steel core dash in my Challenger. It is far from perfect but for the $500 I paid for it and how good it does look overall I am happy with it. It sounds like you should go with a Just Dash piece. I hear they are the best but you'll pay for it.

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: jeff968] #1616695
05/06/14 05:07 PM
05/06/14 05:07 PM
S.E.Mich
D
drew72 Offline
enthusiast
drew72  Offline
enthusiast
D

S.E.Mich
Just Dashes here too. I can't understand how someone can complain about price when told the best costs the most, and they want the best. You get what you pay for, especially in this case. If the best was cheaper then everyone would buy the best.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: drew72] #1616696
05/06/14 06:31 PM
05/06/14 06:31 PM
Mrytle Beach SC
J
johnscudashop Offline
pro stock
johnscudashop  Offline
pro stock
J

Mrytle Beach SC
Just Dashes. You get what you pay for here

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: johnscudashop] #1616697
05/06/14 06:44 PM
05/06/14 06:44 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I really appreciate them. I've decided to go the Just Dashes route since I am building a show car and don't want to compromise. I have seen their work first hand at local car shows (in SoCal), and at their shop in Van Nuys, CA (I live only 30 minutes from them). I'm pretty sure I definitely need to give them a Non-A/C core, but don't know for sure it's necessary that I give them one that was originally a 3-speaker dash. Also, I don't know if I necessarily need to give them a '70 Challenger core, or if I can give them a later model and/or 'Cuda core that they can make into a '70 Challenger dash pad. I need to end up with a '70 Challenger, 3-Speaker, Non-A/C steel core, black dash pad. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

FYI - I already made a post on E-body Parts Wanted looking for a core.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616698
05/06/14 06:59 PM
05/06/14 06:59 PM
Iowa
R
ratroaster Offline
enthusiast
ratroaster  Offline
enthusiast
R

Iowa
You can give them any year e-body core with or without your combination of air cond. or speakers. They can make you any style out of any good core Cuda or challenger. The difference being added cost to each modification they need to make. So it would be a bit cheaper if you can find a non air 70 Challenger 3 speaker dash core.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: ratroaster] #1616699
05/06/14 07:38 PM
05/06/14 07:38 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

You can give them any year e-body core with or without your combination of air cond. or speakers. They can make you any style out of any good core Cuda or challenger. The difference being added cost to each modification they need to make. So it would be a bit cheaper if you can find a non air 70 Challenger 3 speaker dash core.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. Added costs for mods. But wouldn't a Non-A/C core be more appropriate for my needs, given that the Non-A/C steel core doesn't have the cut-outs for the vents? I believe that ALL E-body steel cores had the provisions for the side speakers, and that it was just a matter of cutting the foam to match the provision. Am I correct? Thanks again. Don't know what I'd do without this site.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616700
05/06/14 08:09 PM
05/06/14 08:09 PM
SE Wisconsin, USA
RP's R/T's Offline
super stock
RP's R/T's  Offline
super stock

SE Wisconsin, USA
It's been a few years since I ordered one from them, but will be doing so again soon.
I don't believe they actually make a pad just for you from the pad (core)you turn in.
I would give them any old E-Body dash pad.
Of course, you can verify this by calling them
I'd sell you a core, but it might not make sense sending you a core half-way across the country.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616701
05/06/14 08:13 PM
05/06/14 08:13 PM
Iowa
R
ratroaster Offline
enthusiast
ratroaster  Offline
enthusiast
R

Iowa
They can fill that area in if need be. They may trade you for a non air core also if they have any in stock. They can reform a Cuda dash to make a Challenger dash also for I believe another $100.00. The steel cores are the same. Give em a call they will fill you in.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: ratroaster] #1616702
05/07/14 12:22 AM
05/07/14 12:22 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I have a bud who has had JD do several Cuda dashes and they all turned out very nice. I heard several different stories about usable cores lately, so I just called them. Here is what they said.

They use the core you send them, period. They can fill 3 speaker dashes, fill ac vents or cut them. They will charge you for this extra work. I did not ask about the Cuda to Challenger conversion. They will put a 70 script in a 71-74 core. They completely strip all the old foam from the steel core and hand lay new foam and contour it to the correct shape. Then they vacuum form the correct vinyl over the foam. The steel core is all they use and it must be rust free. I was told years ago that the better the core you sent, the better the finished product. I think years ago they might have left some of the original foam in place, but I asked two weeks ago and he said they strip everything off now. You will be happy with a dash from them. I'll pm you about a core if you need one.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: fastmark] #1616703
05/07/14 01:34 AM
05/07/14 01:34 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

I have a bud who has had JD do several Cuda dashes and they all turned out very nice. I heard several different stories about usable cores lately, so I just called them. Here is what they said.

They use the core you send them, period. They can fill 3 speaker dashes, fill ac vents or cut them. They will charge you for this extra work. I did not ask about the Cuda to Challenger conversion. They will put a 70 script in a 71-74 core. They completely strip all the old foam from the steel core and hand lay new foam and contour it to the correct shape. Then they vacuum form the correct vinyl over the foam. The steel core is all they use and it must be rust free. I was told years ago that the better the core you sent, the better the finished product. I think years ago they might have left some of the original foam in place, but I asked two weeks ago and he said they strip everything off now. You will be happy with a dash from them. I'll pm you about a core if you need one.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting to hear that they said "They completely strip all the old foam from the steel core and hand lay new foam and contour it to the correct shape." When I talked to them yesterday, they said they would charge an extra $150 if they had to START with a bare metal steel core. Why would they say that if they ultimately strip the core of all the original foam anyway? Hence starting with a bare steel core. It would save them time (and $$) if they didn't have to do any foam stripping. I know these guys do good work, but I think their quoting is inconsistent. Yes PM me about a core. Thanks.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616704
05/07/14 11:15 AM
05/07/14 11:15 AM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

I believe that ALL E-body steel cores had the provisions for the side speakers, and that it was just a matter of cutting the foam to match the provision. Am I correct? Thanks again. Don't know what I'd do without this site.

No, the one speaker frames must be modified for the three speaker system. Just like the A/C vents, if it did not have that accessory, it did not have the holes. I had both cores and I sent the three speaker one as a core for rebuilding to Ultimate. I just wanted the single speaker and that is what I got back. I still have the original core and I think I will sell it this year as it is only taking up space. It is an A/C one, though.
I went through a group buy to Ultimate so I had an intermediary battle their poor customer service. I am very happy with the result but I had been living with the old cracked pad for 30 years so any improvement would have been appreciated.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616705
05/07/14 11:21 AM
05/07/14 11:21 AM
pa.
D
dan9 Offline
super stock
dan9  Offline
super stock
D

pa.
Since you live only 30 mins. away I would take these pictures to them and ask them if they can give you the perfection you are looking for.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616706
05/07/14 11:48 AM
05/07/14 11:48 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
If your going to send a dash to Just Dashes, send the nicest core you can, in regards to the foam, the more cracks and chunks missing, the more filling they do to the foam, my friends Cuda dash looked nice at first from JD, but after a few months in the sun (tinted windshield) all the vinyl pad covering started to shrink into/around the repairs underneath, the second pad he had them do he purchased a core with a few minor blemishes and splits/cracks in areas that would not show if the same thing happened again, however the second dash was rather "puffy" in appearance after JD recovered it, but it was "presentable"....so kinda hit or miss, guess it depends on the technician working the pad

Mike

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: DAYCLONA] #1616707
05/07/14 06:52 PM
05/07/14 06:52 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Well. I think the normal here is to be inconsistent! My bud was told for years that the better the core you sent in, the better one you got back. Seems like I remember an article in a magazine where they detailed the rebuilding process of a dash. I remember that they only dug out the cracked and loose parts, fill it with foam and then put on the skin. The guy I talked to the other day said that they take it down to bare steel. I would be afraid that the old foam would still have a tendency to turn loose and cause problems as well. I can say that all the dashes I have seen rebuilt by them do look good.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: fastmark] #1616708
05/10/14 01:03 PM
05/10/14 01:03 PM
Detroit, MI
F
FC7AARcuda Offline
FC7AARcuda  Offline
F

Detroit, MI
How much does a JD dashpad cost? 3 or 4 years ago I found a nice original un-cracked pad for my cuda at the nationals and thought I was all set. A couple weeks ago I was getting my car ready for spring and noticed a big crack running from the center speaker to the windshield.

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: FC7AARcuda] #1616709
05/10/14 01:42 PM
05/10/14 01:42 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

How much does a JD dashpad cost? 3 or 4 years ago I found a nice original un-cracked pad for my cuda at the nationals and thought I was all set. A couple weeks ago I was getting my car ready for spring and noticed a big crack running from the center speaker to the windshield.

Depending on whether your E body pad is a 70, or 71-4, AC, 3 speaker, shipping the core, etc, have a G note handy

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: DAYCLONA] #1616710
05/14/14 05:18 PM
05/14/14 05:18 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Thought I'd share this. I decided to request a quote from Just Dashes using their website, rather than speaking to someone on the phone. I wanted my request and their response in writing.

http://justdashes.com/Map.htm

My Quote Request:

Hello,
I'd like to get a quote to have you do a 1970 Dodge Challenger dash
pad (black, 3-speaker, Non-A/C).
I currently have several E-body dash pad cores, and would prefer to
bring you the one that offers me the best price for my need. I live in
SoCal, so I can drop the core off at your shop in Van Nuys.
- What is the price for what I need?
- What (if any) are the additional charges if I bring you a 'Cuda dash core?
- What (if any) are the additional charges if I bring you a later year
model core
- What (if any) are the additional charges if I bring you a dash core
that is NON-3 speaker (single speaker), and/or came out of an A/C car?
- Do you require a rust-free dash core?
- What is your process? Do you remove ALL the old foam, or do you
simply fill the deteriorated/damaged foam areas with new foam?
- Would a new (chrome) '70 Challenger script emblem be attached to the
dash pad, and be included in the price you give me?
- How is the emblem attached to the dash pad; is it glued on, or is
the emblem pinned with retainers on the back-side?
- Do you provide provisions for the dash VIN tag to be riveted on, or
do I need to bring you the VIN tag from the car?
- Is there a guarantee on the workmanship? I need this to fit
(perfectly) and as well as the dash pads fit from the factory.
- How close will the vinyl's grain pattern be to the grain pattern of
the vinyl on an original dash pad?
- Regarding the outboard/side speaker grills: I have read on some of
the Mopar forum sites (and message-boards) that only the B/L B/R
speaker grills will work on your E-body dash pads. I have both B/L-R
and J/L-R grills. Will the J/L-R (’70 Challenger ONLY) grills fit
properly on the '70 Challenger dash pad you do for me?
- Do you buy dash cores? I have several E-body cores ranging in
condition (from bare metal steel to complete), and from both 'Cuda and
Challenger, 1970-74, A/C & Non-A/C, 3-speaker & single (center)
speaker.
I look forward to your response.
Best regards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just Dashes response:

Hi,
You certainly were thorough in your inquiry. I'll try to help you out as much as I can. First, I will say that we don't restore cores from other cars to go into a 1970 Dodge Challenger. For that car, we do a complete restoration. You will need to send the original dash into us
and we will do a complete reconstruction off your original dash frame. We strip off most of the old foam during the repair, but we leave what we need for the general profile of the dash pad. We work off of your original part to ensure that when you go to put it back in your car, you know it's going to fit. We do require the dash core you send in to be rust-free for the best results. IF you'd like your Challenger emblem re-chromed, we provide that service at an additional cost. Your VIN tag should come with the dash and we will remove and re-install it here at our shop. As for the fit of the dash, it should fit just like new. We stand by our product, and if you experience any problems, or have issues with the final product, we will work to fix the issue to the best of our ability. That being said, we do make a quality product that will look like new when we're through with it. The vinyl we use
on the dash is the same style used in the factory. However, your other interior parts may have faded, so we do recommend getting all of your
corresponding parts restored simultaneously for the most seamless transformation. We recommend using all of the original parts for your restoration, so please send in your original speakers for the restoration process. Our current turnaround time is about 10 weeks from the time we receive your part.
Send to: Just Dashes
5941 Lemona Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Cost:
$1,100 - Dash Pad (includes just dashes repro center speaker grill)
$150 - Foam Work (if the dash is bare metal)
$600-800 - Dash Carrier (Big Metal Frame Under Dash)
~$1250 - Instrument Cluster
~$450 -Bezel
$190 - Front and Rear Door Panels (each)
$450 - Rear Convertible Panels (each)
$150 - Weather Trim (for panels)
$120 - Kick Panels (each)
$150 - Seat Backs (each)
$500 - Black Vinyl Bezel (send control panel)
$350 - Hydrodipped Pattern ($200 to match control panel)
$150 - Black Texture Spray ($100 to match control)
+ Shipping

This price includes that restoration of the dash pad in black. For any
other color, you can add $100-$150 depending on the color. I've
attached an order form for your convenience. Let me know if you need
anything else.

Thanks,
Jason
Just Dashes, Inc.
(800) 247-3274
Just Dashes.com

Re: E-body Dash Pad? [Re: filmsurgeon] #1616711
05/14/14 07:13 PM
05/14/14 07:13 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I find it odd they say to send the VIN tag with the dash, where as in the past, they said if a VIN tag was on the dash it would be removed and destroyed...I wouldn't send the VIN tag, if it's lost, your going to find it difficult to have a repro made

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4