12/04/14 12:45 AM
12/04/14 12:45 AM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
We have updated the rear suspension and upgraded the rod ends with stainless. This car also feature tubes without knurling! Makes for a nice clean look! If you see something we can improve on please let us know, we love making the product better by others feedback.

8350752-4link.jpg (422 downloads)

Owner of Custom33.com 1933 Plymouth Coupe and Roadster Kits
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Matt Erich] #1613532
12/04/14 12:46 AM
12/04/14 12:46 AM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
Top view

8350754-4link2.jpg (326 downloads)

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Matt Erich] #1613533
12/13/14 03:28 PM
12/13/14 03:28 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
Wife added a little touch of class to the project.

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #1613534
12/14/14 09:14 AM
12/14/14 09:14 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Quote:

Wife added a little touch of class to the project.

that's pretty neat ! did i ever ask what you thought it will weigh when done ?

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: moparx] #1613535
12/14/14 03:55 PM
12/14/14 03:55 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
23 - 2400 per Custom 33. Should be an easy 12 second ride with the mild 360 build.

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #1613536
12/14/14 04:28 PM
12/14/14 04:28 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Looking at the chassis, I have serious concerns.

No cross bracing on the chassis. Ackerman does not exist. Crap for bumpsteer, I really love how tall those bumpsteer spacers are. Scrub line looks like it might be close to hitting. 5 link rear is "interesting". Rod ends? Come on, not legal. In Texas I have to get an ASE certified master chassis tech to inspect this to get a title. I know it won't pass a legit inspection and I know I wouldn't want to drive it other than on and off the trailer for shows as designed.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #1613537
12/14/14 04:32 PM
12/14/14 04:32 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Is there a safety lock for the suicide door? My buddy just found out the hard way at 65 mph in his 34 ford.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: moparpollack] #1613538
12/14/14 05:29 PM
12/14/14 05:29 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I don't think the door latches are included, Bear Claw does make a nice set with safety locks, similar to modern latches.

Don't be the exception.
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Supercuda] #1613539
12/14/14 06:57 PM
12/14/14 06:57 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

No cross bracing on the chassis. Ackerman does not exist. Crap for bumpsteer, I really love how tall those bumpsteer spacers are. Scrub line looks like it might be close to hitting. 5 link rear is "interesting". Rod ends? Come on, not legal. In Texas I have to get an ASE certified master chassis tech to inspect this to get a title. I know it won't pass a legit inspection and I know I wouldn't want to drive it other than on and off the trailer for shows as designed.

So, what did you see, that I must have missed, that allowed you to see all these imperfections? Gene

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: poorboy] #1613540
12/14/14 07:55 PM
12/14/14 07:55 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Quote:

So, what did you see, that I must have missed, that allowed you to see all these imperfections? Gene

look at the website pictures, if you can't see it you might need to see the doc.

Don't be the exception.
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Supercuda] #1613541
12/14/14 08:53 PM
12/14/14 08:53 PM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
I will answer these questions very nicely because I know everybody has a opinion and a keyboard

No cross bracing on the chassis-Please look at the pictures posted on this site and on facebook, it has chassis bracing by Custom33 and also with transmission mount.

Ackerman does not exist. Crap for bumpsteer, I really love how tall those bumpsteer spacers are- The car actually bumps near zero thus the purpose of the spacers but we have now changed to a traditional ball joint so street rod people will be more comfortable. PS we drive racecars over 200MPG with same setup on this car.

Scrub line looks like it might be close to hitting=Please explain your definition of scrub line

5 link rear is "interesting"- I have never put my eyes on a 5 link but would love to see a 5 link suspension if you could share pictures.

Rod ends are perfectly normal and DOT approved but just like the bumpsteer adjusters you can see from the latest cars we are building them with 4 bar ends which have urethane bushings

In Texas I have to get an ASE certified master chassis tech to inspect this to get a title. I know it won't pass a legit inspection and I know I wouldn't want to drive it other than on and off the trailer for shows as designed- If i had to trust a ASE certified chassis tech to approve my car for safety I would ride the city bus. Dont hang your hat on that certification as most engineers designing modern cars havent heard of ASE but I am sure they dont know what they are doing either.

If you took the original all steel ford,chevy or plymouth 1930's car and did a crash test, closed coarse test and safety inspection I am extremely confident my car will be just fine!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Supercuda] #1613542
12/14/14 10:11 PM
12/14/14 10:11 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
Quote:

I don't think the door latches are included, Bear Claw does make a nice set with safety locks, similar to modern latches.

and that is what I am looking at for latches - when I get that far.

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Matt Erich] #1613543
12/15/14 12:11 PM
12/15/14 12:11 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours

I looked over your pictures. You still have a ladder frame with no provisions to prevent racking. That's where your rectangle turns into a diamond.

Look at the frame in a 38 Plymouth in the link , see the big X in the middle, that is crossbracing.

raising the rack rather than a tall stack of a bumpsteer fix would have been smarter. Cantilevering the outer tierod end is a poor substitute, look up cantilever I do not have time to explain the English language to you.

What about the ackermann? It appears in the pictures that the outer tie rods are inboard the ball joints, not proper in a front steer.

My definition of a scrub line is the same as the world's. If I have to define it for you then you don't know it. If you don't know it did you account for it? scrub line

5 link, if you don't know what it is why are you in the chassis business? 5 LINK - 101

Got the DOT approval letter on those rod ends? I'm guessing no, not really guessing though.

ASE, the state requires the inspection by an ASE certified master mechanic to title a kit car build. I do not care if you ever heard of them as it appears there is much you have never heard of. I do not care if you "trust" one to do a safety inspection as it appears you are pretty much slapping stuff together as cheaply as possible and calling it "good".

What it really looks like to me is that you got yourself a copy of how to build your own T bucket frame and used that as your basis for this chassis.

Don't be the exception.
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Supercuda] #1613544
12/15/14 03:54 PM
12/15/14 03:54 PM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
Quote:

I looked over your pictures. You still have a ladder frame with no provisions to prevent racking. That's where your rectangle turns into a diamond.

Look at the frame in a 38 Plymouth in the link , see the big X in the middle, that is crossbracing.

raising the rack rather than a tall stack of a bumpsteer fix would have been smarter. Cantilevering the outer tierod end is a poor substitute, look up cantilever I do not have time to explain the English language to you.

What about the ackermann? It appears in the pictures that the outer tie rods are inboard the ball joints, not proper in a front steer.

My definition of a scrub line is the same as the world's. If I have to define it for you then you don't know it. If you don't know it did you account for it? scrub line

5 link, if you don't know what it is why are you in the chassis business? 5 LINK - 101

Got the DOT approval letter on those rod ends? I'm guessing no, not really guessing though.

ASE, the state requires the inspection by an ASE certified master mechanic to title a kit car build. I do not care if you ever heard of them as it appears there is much you have never heard of. I do not care if you "trust" one to do a safety inspection as it appears you are pretty much slapping stuff together as cheaply as possible and calling it "good".

What it really looks like to me is that you got yourself a copy of how to build your own T bucket frame and used that as your basis for this chassis.

Hey Steve ( Mr occupation - yawning ??? ), Pretty good links. Thanks. Racking for sure won't be an issue. 12 3/4" bolts go through 1/4" plate floor and the fiber glass body floor in to the frame center section. 4' length of the frame in the middle will be stuffer than a wedding -----! Ackerman - Outer tie rods are outboard of the kingpin centerline. You had an optical illusion. Haven't really checked scrub line yet. Could be close in some spots. It's on my check list to do when I bust the tires off the rims for painting. Contemplating adding a panhard rod. Probaly drive it as it is first and see how it handles without one. As far a ASE certifications. I'm the buyer. I'm also MASTER certified in both car and truck - and been that way for many years. Although I am proud of it, I also know just how much "water that holds". Many states went the way of Texas. Weak attempt to weed out incompetent's. Unfortunately, most states, like Texas, are automotive clueless, so please save that BS and smartarsed comments for another site ( yawing ). Thanks again for the input and links. John

8363104-ASEcerts.jpg (155 downloads)

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Supercuda] #1613545
12/15/14 07:43 PM
12/15/14 07:43 PM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
I will keep this thread positive by ignoring this post. I hope you enjoy your day and your Cuda.

Quote:

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Supercuda] #1613546
12/15/14 08:55 PM
12/15/14 08:55 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Quote:

By the pictures I saw, Scrub line was pretty good, that's not something you can accurately see from the pictures provided. Beside that, in this day and age, there are a lot of buyers that would lower things so they could scrape frame.

1) I had an 80 Dodge 4x4 that diamonded when it got wrecked, and there isn't much bracing to prevent my 93 Dakota ladder frame from diamonding in a crash either. Dodge, and a lot of other manufacturers have been making straight ladder frames for years, that is a pretty lame excuse.

2) It sounds like this has already been addressed, but even if not, it can be easily addressed. This would not be a deal breaker to me.
I don't see how you can clearly say if the Ackerman is good or not by the pictures provided, angles are just not right to clearly see.

3) By the pictures I saw, Scrub line looks pretty good, that's not something you can accurately see from the pictures provided. Beside that, in this day and age, there are a lot of buyers that would lower things so they could scrape frame.

4) Why didn't you just say 4 link with a panhard bar? Beside that, all I saw was a 4 link.

5) Really? Even the NSRA allows those tie rod ends through their inspection if a washer is present. Most states accept NSRA safety inspection as a legal inspection process, I'm sorry for you that Texas is not among them.

6) I gave up my ASA cert when I gave up wrenching for a living because of a health issue. You have pretty bold talk for someone who really doesn't have any idea who you are speaking with. Having spent many hours with ASA certified Techs, I can tell you I have little faith in the testing system. The fact that Texas seems to think so highly of a set of papers, kind of bothers me just a little, but it is what it is. I'm curious what kind of Doc you think I should be seeing? A guy like me might be doing the safety inspection on your next car.....

So, when do we get to inspect the frames you build? Since you can clearly see what's wrong with what everyone else does, the frame you build must be perfect, and you need to show us so the rest of us can come up to speed. Have you ever built one from scratch? Gene

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: poorboy] #1613547
12/15/14 09:59 PM
12/15/14 09:59 PM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
I am the guy that built and designed this chassis so I am clearly the stupid person on this board but if you know simple trigonometry you dont need the said "5th" link in a 4 link suspension. If you wanted the panhard bar you could of saved yourself some time and money by building it a 3 link suspension. Everybody builds chassis's different but hey Merry Christmas Friends!!!!!!!!

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Matt Erich] #1613548
12/15/14 11:38 PM
12/15/14 11:38 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
if you were to weld that 1/4" plate floor to the top of the chassis, just try to rack it then. it would take one hell of a whack to do that, and there would be more important things to worry about , such as the health of the occupants. my state uses the nsra specs for streetrod inspection, and the asa testing can just be a "bought" deal if you know how to take a standardized test. lots of those jokers working at the dealerships around here that can't fix anything in 4 or 5 attempts. not saying all asa certed techs are nimrods, but there are sure a bunch of 'em that are. happy holidays.

Re: "Custom 33" [Re: moparx] #1613549
12/16/14 12:10 AM
12/16/14 12:10 AM
Az
Crizila Offline OP
master
Crizila  Offline OP
master

Az
The government I worked for ( for 31 years ) paid me a 5% bonus to become and remain ASE certified. I am long since retired - and they remain clueless to this day.

Fastest 300
Re: "Custom 33" [Re: Crizila] #1613550
01/01/15 09:19 PM
01/01/15 09:19 PM
IN
M
Matt Erich Offline
Matt Erich  Offline
M

IN
The website has finally been updated with new pictures showing the latest chassis improvements. www.custom33.com

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13