04/22/14 06:13 PM
04/22/14 06:13 PM
northeast pa
3wracing Offline OP
mopar
3wracing  Offline OP
mopar

northeast pa
does anyone install their own glass? All the installers wont do old cars BUT they will sell me the glass.Is it hard ? Some use a rope to put them in how does it work? Is the rear window as hard? What is the best seal to get for the front and back window? Any and all help appreciated
thanks Gene

Re: 69b body windsheild install HELP [Re: 3wracing] #1610652
04/22/14 06:44 PM
04/22/14 06:44 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Rear window is bonded in, I generally use 5/16" or 3/8" ribbion/tape to install the rear, best to have both tapes on hand when doing the job, so as to set the glass height properly, front windshield is a gasket, as I'm sure you know, generally it's best to use a new repro/NOS gasket, also when installing the windshield on a 2nd gen B body, it's best to add about 12" of sealant (NO SILICONE) along the drivers and passengers corner, and 12" of sealant from the bottom of each corner up the A pillar windshield opening BEFORE you install the windshield gasket, only add the sealant and gasket when your ready to install the windshield, if an installer tells you you don't need the sealer in the 2 lower corners, you'll have leaks later, the reason you can't find an installer, is most new "techs" don't know how to install an older gasket lock install, plus they don't want to risk breaking the glass trying to fit it in the gasket channel, it is tricky for most novice, I'd recommend a professional installer if you've never attempted it before, assist the installer and learn for the next time...when you call around for an installer, ask them for someone experienced in antique/classic car glass and explain what type of car/gasket install system you have, most of the big chain autoglass companies have/retain individuals experienced in antique/classic cars

Mike

Re: 69b body windsheild install HELP [Re: 3wracing] #1610653
04/22/14 09:32 PM
04/22/14 09:32 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MCTPhoenix Offline
enthusiast
MCTPhoenix  Offline
enthusiast
M

Phoenix, AZ
It's not that difficult. Some call the sealant a bedding compound. I've never "roped" a glass in, but rather carefully insert the glass into the gasket and then Zipper up the rubber flap. Use lots of glass cleaner on the glass when setting it into the rubber. When you buy the glass ( a b-body windshield shouldn't run you more than $75 ) ask for a few of the plastic "bones". They'll help to shoehorn the glass in. Start at the bottom and work your way evenly up the sides... when it gets tight a gentle, flat palm, patting in the corners helps it in. Maybe there's some video's on you tube. Also.. on the rear, or any glass set with butyl, be sure to pre-fit the glass to determine the height. If the glass sits low you'll end up with a gap between the stainless trim and the glass. I use urethane but am sure there are still several sizes of butyl to choose from. Hope this helps.

Re: 69b body windsheild install HELP [Re: MCTPhoenix] #1610654
04/24/14 03:40 PM
04/24/14 03:40 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
Doing one this afternoon on a 69 satellite convertible. If it's a gasket then I put the gasket on the car,lube up the heck out of it with something like a rubber lube like they use on tires when they mount them. Set in the bottom and work one side post in with a plastic windshield bone. Once you get the bottom and one side in it's just about easy from there. Just work the rubber over the glass with the bone keeping rubber VERY lubed up. Take your time.

Contact Me about AMD Prices