Re: Fuel Pressure problem on LA 360 [Re: RapidRobert] #1584320
02/26/14 02:21 AM
02/26/14 02:21 AM
pensacola, fl
53fopar Offline OP
53fopar  Offline OP

pensacola, fl
Quote:

Yes, T at the carb inlet & run the line from the T to the reg "in" then run either reg "out" port to the tank & cap the other "out" port so you are in series regulating the return line only. You want to keep the psi not over 5.5 psi right at the carb with a known good gauge (they are notoriously inaccurate) & not less than several psi at WOT & the side bennie is the problem at hand & the contant return flow keeps the pump happy even if deadheading ain't the issue the constant flow will prolong its life. EDIT It acted badly with the mech and the elec seperately, & that is puzzling as I feel I am missing something especially since your fuel delivery requirements ain't that high & it was acting up with just the mechanical pump which takes the (elec pump) cavitation/deadhead/pump height out of the picture which would lead me to believe that the issue might not be in the front/rear delievery path. Just had an idea, is the crossover functioning & the intake getting real hot & there's NO pinholes in the front to rear lines?

OK, I got it. Just using the regulator for the return, no regulation on the line coming from the fuel pump. When the pump is working correctly, it puts out about 5psi which should be about right for the Edelbrock.

I replaced the mech pump before I cleaned the tank and there was some cr@p in the tank. Maybe it wasn't vapor lock at all but just the fuel pickup getting blocked. Now I created new problems with the elect fuel pump.

The crossovers on the intake are blocked. All the fuel line in the truck in new 3/8" hose.

I was thinking about it, and recall that the tank is just below 1/4 full which would put the fuel level in the tank below the fuel pump rotor. Maybe the pump can't suck the fuel up through the pickup to the top of the tank. I am going to lower the pump and see what happens. Of course, the weather is going to get cooler this week so I am sure everything will work fine again.

Re: Fuel Pressure problem on LA 360 [Re: GO_Fish] #1584321
02/26/14 02:24 AM
02/26/14 02:24 AM
pensacola, fl
53fopar Offline OP
53fopar  Offline OP

pensacola, fl
Quote:

try loosening the gas cap, just to be sure an incorrect cap, or tank venting issue is not causing a vacuum on the tank that stops fuel from flowing. This creates a lean condition that makes underhood temps rocket before the engine finally quits from no fuel. Quick easy test. This problem would show up in hot or cold weather, but would be worse with extra heat added.

Thanks Scott. I went through the gas cap dance last summer when this first started. Tank has good venting and I never got any pressure sounds from the cap. Good thought though.

Re: Fuel Pressure problem on LA 360-UPDATE [Re: 53fopar] #1584322
03/02/14 11:22 PM
03/02/14 11:22 PM
pensacola, fl
53fopar Offline OP
53fopar  Offline OP

pensacola, fl
Thought I'd update this post in case someone does a search later. I lowered the fuel pump about 4-5 inches. Got the bottom of the pump, where the rotor is, even with the bottom of the tank. Took the truck out Friday, temp's in mid 60's. No luck. Pump still got hot and lost fuel pressure.

Yesterday I did the fuel return line as suggested by Rapid Robert. Used a Quick Fuel regulator I had in the shop from a old project. Installed a brass T just before the fuel pressure guage at the carb with one leg going to the carb and the other to the IN side of the regulator. One of the OUT ports on the regulator goes back to the tank via 5/16's hose. Other OUT port is blocked. Adjusted regulator till I had steady 5 psi at the carb. Took the truck out today, temp's in mid to upper 70's. Drove it for over 2 hours with no issues. Temp's on the pump and fittings around 85*. Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone for the input, esp. Rapid Robert. You guys are the best. I always bring my questions/problems to MOPARTS because I know I'll get a straight answer with out the BS. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2