in old 78 Superbird

WingCars
Moparts Member
posted 08-03-2002 01:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1969 Dr Jackson was working at the navy hospital in bethesda Maryland and around this time'he bought a 1969 Dodge convertible.He had talked to a dealer in washington D.C. about the Daytona.but most of the ones in the area were relatively stripped down models without power steering or brakes.He called into Chrysler and spoke to Chrysler executive Bob Mc Curry.Mr Mc Curry said that they wouldnt be making anymore 69 models.But they would be making a 70 production run of Daytonas on 1970 chassis.There would be one for each district that Chrysler had.Which would be 30-35 cars.Mr Mc Curry then asked dave if he would be interested in taking the car for the .Maryland and Virginia area.And of course Dave agreed.He sold his new Dodge convertible when it was a week old .Then three weeks later he talked to Bob Mc Curry again.At this time Mr McCurry had said sales had taken a down turn.and that they cancelled the run.But since he was having a 70 Daytona made up for himself.He agreed to have one made up for Dr Jackson.Dave ordered the car with niceties as an electric roof leather seats the 6 way option stereo.The car also came with the 1970 Charger RT door side scoops 70 Marker lights but did not have the fastback rear window as on the 69 Daytona.Chrysler supposedly didnt put the fastback window on these cars because of the added cost involved.Creative Industries who did the special body work on 69 Daytonas.Did work on these cars as well.At this time Dr Jackson was taking pictures for the american red cross at stock car races around the south'and was putting together shows for patients .The order for his car was processed through a dealer.And he picked up the car in Detroit in Feb of 1970.Dr Jackson drove it straight to Daytona for the 500 miler there.He met Ray Nichels and also got in touch with the parade lap people at Grey Rock products.And in 1971.The Daytona was the Grey rock parade lap car for the daytona 500.And in 1973 Dr Jackson had talked to one of Ray Nichels chief mechanics about some carb trouble.And that christmas the Daytona was taken to Nichels shop in Indiana and was balanced blue printed etc.It was then dynoed out at 450 HP.The car had about 45.000 miles on it.This info came straight from a 78 Superbird/Daytona Newsletter as DR Jackson himself tells the club his buying story.I have been trying to track down his original selling ad from the late 70s.Im still looking I have just alot of stuff to go through.So after reading this from him .Dont know what to believe now.

Heres the ad the update I was looking for.Know MCG reported the car being sold in 1975 and by a No Dr Jackson.Heres the ad from the man who isnt supposed to exist 1979 quote.The 1970 Daytona one of the three 1970 Daytonas Built By Chrysler 440-6 pack straight but needs paint.$7000.00 Serious Inquires Only Contact Dr David L. Jackson 1522 Crest Road Cleveland Ohio 44121 PH: 216/444-3875 or 382-5824 Now as you see in the 79 ad from Ohio.The purple cars invoice reads as Dr David Lawerance Jackson 4301 Chestnut street Bethesda Maryland 20014.As With this more info from the same newsletter source from 1978.It also Has Quote Some of you that live in Maryland may know of the temporary banning of the winged cars because they had no front bumper.If you had gotten stopped by the police you werent alone.Dr Jackson had the same problem.The state threatened to withdraw Chryslers license to sell new cars on Chryslers certification.Chrysler didnt like that'so they agreed to put a bumper on the car.The car was taken to a specialty body shop in surburban Maryland'and they mounted a modified 63 Corvette front bumpers to the purple car.And this info can be found in the wingcar clubs newsletters.Also can found the same article in the archives at the Aero Warior website.Recieved that info from Scott Droptop 6*9 Moparts member

was not on the 70 Daytona existence bandwagon 100%And still uncertain.And yes I spoke from previous doubts and my own thoughts and beliefs about the 70/s.But now Im quoting from and actual written account and source and timeline.I didnt have located previously.As from owning the 69 Daytona in my signature and expecting the Daytona that I have come to known.But these 70/s ones.Are not in 69 Daytona form.I tryed before finding what is posted currently to think what and why would there be such a car and for what reason. And theres always been some stigma about them from being in the wingcar area.Before even seeing and reading the MCG article .And I also had read the MCG article and remebered all the years of hearing 70 Daytonas not being accepted to the wingcar world.And followed along all posts pos and neg .To keep gathering swaying facts.Without the paperwork foundation to cement things.Now from copying from the newsletter source I located and actual account by the owner. Dr Jackson that joined the club and submitted the following.And later the non existing Dr Jackson placed a ad in 1979 for the car for $7000.00 .Which I supplied in my post.Down to the address and phone numbers.I will even make copies of that I posted write from the page I read it from Vol 4#5 Superbird/Daytona club newsletter May 78 and car ad in same but in Jan 1979.And earlier today got A email from Greg who was privy to the car owner and the non seen paperwork.Said thanks for the posted letters and seen some new theory and possabilitys from what is posted

========================================

Doug Schellinger
Moparts Member
posted 08-05-2002 01:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The article and car for sale ad that Wing Cars is speaking of appeared in the Daytona-Superbird Auto Club newsletter in 1978.
I have posted the original correspondence between David Jackson and my father regarding the purple 1970 Daytona. You can read the letter at this link.

www.execpc.com/~dsac/jackson2.jpg

======================================

WingCars
Moparts Member
posted 08-05-2002 04:24 PM

A nice piece of detective work Doug.Now this colaberates that theres indeed a Dr Jackson.And some insight as he said he had written Bob McCurry.And asked about the sister car of Bobs maybe refering to the custom green one.

===================================

Doug Schellinger
Moparts Member
posted 08-05-2002 07:34 PM

Here is the original 1970 Daytona ad from the 1978 newsletter.
Maybe more interesting are the asking prices for the cars. Jim Radke's immaculate 17K mile Hemi Daytona is for sale for $12,000. That was a LOT of money then...

Here is the link:

www.execpc.com/~dsac/jacksonad.jpg

================================