G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Quote:

We all know the real driver in this instance is down time and the track's expense of clean up, safety is secondary to the track owner.

On the other hand, I have to wonder why guys continually put money into their cars to go faster but squeal when it comes to spending money on the required safety gear. As has been said, speed costs.

Personally, I never had a car fast enough to even require a roll bar, but I had one anyway. I also added several other safety features that were required for faster cars, partly to be safe and partly to be ready in case I ever found enough funds to go faster. I never got caught up in the need to be the fastest car on the track or in my class. I actually took perverse pleasure in leaving several seconds ahead of some of my competition, it was amazing how hard it was for them to not redlight in those circumstances.

Danny

Me personally I loved chasing down the slower cars. I had the whole race in front of me. As for the diaper, my car is getting one before it goes out again.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: gofish] #1473723
07/25/13 04:42 PM
07/25/13 04:42 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
On the other hand, I have to wonder why guys continually put money into their cars to go faster but squeal when it comes to spending money on the required safety gear. As has been said, speed costs.
Danny

I'm one that squeals then... the damn NHRA keeps
changing the rules when they need something.. when
I built my car.. it certed to 7.50... a couple years
later they changed the rules and its now a 8.50 cert
car... now its a diaper and header tethers, locking
dip sticks when is gonna stops... If the guys want
to play the "WHAT IF" game then we would be
swamped in rules... maybe we should put turn signals
back on them.. Force cut off Capps and hung up
his chute... there are so many what ifs that it
would put any little guy out of racing... thats
why I'm selling the race car and I'll go back to
running 10.0 and slower in a street car

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1473724
07/25/13 06:50 PM
07/25/13 06:50 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Danny

I'm one that squeals then... the damn NHRA keeps
changing the rules when they need something.. when
I built my car.. it certed to 7.50... a couple years
later they changed the rules and its now a 8.50 cert
car... now its a diaper and header tethers, locking
dip sticks when is gonna stops... If the guys want
to play the "WHAT IF" game then we would be
swamped in rules... maybe we should put turn signals
back on them.. Force cut off Capps and hung up
his chute... there are so many what ifs that it
would put any little guy out of racing... thats
why I'm selling the race car and I'll go back to
running 10.0 and slower in a street car

Most of the ones that love those rules don't have a car fast enough to have to buy all that crap every time they want to change or add something,and the others are the ones who can't win,and are looking for any way to decrease the car count hoping then they will have a chance!I have 2 T/D Big $$$ Bracket Race dragster's and both will run in the 6's in the 1/4 mile all motor,an the Red one has a 500 horse-power NOS an the Black has a 3 stage NOS!Its my $$$ and lots of it that built these cars and I drive them,I know what they need and don't need!And as long as there are plenty of tracks to race at that don't enforce these rules I'm not gonna spend my $$$ on that unnessary crap!I like to spend my $$$ racing,not letting the car sit while I have to save up $$$ to buy things!

PS Look at how many people on here after spending all the $$$ and time to build their cars,are having to slow them down and some just giving up selling their cars simply because they just can not afford to keep jumping through hoops with all the new rules an rule changes.
These people that spent all that $$$ are not Stoopid,they did not build un-safe cars!
There is just NO WAY thats a good thing for the sport of Drag-Racing!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 07/25/13 07:30 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: Dragula] #1473725
07/25/13 08:18 PM
07/25/13 08:18 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
Quote:

Fine with that, but it seems that ALL the rules apply at 9.99 or quicker...

Are they just affraid of driving out the weekly bread and butter if it were applied to slower cars? If we are all safer with a Diaper, then why not require it at 11.50 and faster? Don't we get oil downs from 11.50 cars? Don't those guys put more runs on a drivetrain than any other racers before a tear down?

Shouldn't trans sheilds be required for any car with a manual automatic? I mean lets be real if safer is better, then why is it all weighted on the 9.99 guys?

And honestly, I do not have a draster pan and the steering still goes thru the pan, so I have no clue how a daiper would even be possible at this point.

I saw more oil downs from the slower cars 11-12sec stuff than I ever did from the faster stuff anyway.
But I do believe it will kill the car count, still to many small tracks that let that stuff slide.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: Guitar Jones] #1473726
07/25/13 09:24 PM
07/25/13 09:24 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOoC  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Me personally I loved chasing down the slower cars. I had the whole race in front of me. As for the diaper, my car is getting one before it goes out again.

.....for the GEEtarGuy ... they should make THREE diff type "Depends" ... engine, trans and 'vert-hubs ....

I will have one on my stuff ... sure don't want to oil-the-tires at 140 or so .....

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: dOoC] #1473727
07/25/13 11:11 PM
07/25/13 11:11 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
First of all: I have blown an engine, and oiled my slicks at 141 mph. I didn't crash, because I've driven on ice and snow, and I know how to control a vehicle! The single most dangerous thing on America's Drag Strips are inexperienced and incompetent drivers, Period!

2nd: The cost of the diaper is irrelevant. It's the fitment problems on a K-member car, and being forced to remove it to do routine maintenance.

I have since sold my back halved car, and picked up a strut front car, I also replaced the K in my Valiant with a tubular design, which, along with the fenderwell exit headers, make the catch pan underneath a viable option on both cars. Two things you will never see on a car of mine, is a diaper, or a trans blanket, heat sinks are not my cup o' tea.

If you find many things in life to be a "no-brainer", then the fact is you aren't using your brain. Nothing is that simple, except the person that thinks it is.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: max_maniac] #1473728
07/26/13 02:12 AM
07/26/13 02:12 AM
Nor-Cal
L
loaderpro Offline
loaderpro  Offline
L

Nor-Cal
If you wanna here the music...you gotta pay the fiddler!

7790608-pomona.jpg (43 downloads)
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: loaderpro] #1473729
07/26/13 02:34 AM
07/26/13 02:34 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOoC Offline
dOoC  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

If you wanna here the music...you gotta pay the fiddler!

hear HEAR ! ....and MoparBilly ...show us your pan-plans ...

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: dOoC] #1473730
07/26/13 02:59 AM
07/26/13 02:59 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Entries permitted to use a NHRA accepted composite lower engine oil-retention device and belly pan. The belly pan must be constructed of NHRA accepted composite material with vertical folded-up walls, at least 4-inches tall. minimum .032-inch steel, .060-inch aluminum, or carbon fiber and Pan must extend from framerail to framerail and extend from forward of the front motor plate harmonic balancer or lower pulley and to the rear of the engine block. and must incorporate a minimum 2-inch vertical folded-up walls lip on all sides. Minimum
number of slots or holes in the walls to clear frame, steering, or lines permitted. Front and rear walls must be “coved” toward oil pan a minimum of 1/2-inch to assist oil in staying within the confines of the oil-retention device. Pan must be attached with a minimum of three attachment points per side. Nonflammable, oil absorbent liner is mandatory inside of belly pan.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: MoparBilly] #1473731
07/26/13 10:01 AM
07/26/13 10:01 AM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
If I was running a track and wanted to try and get racers to run a diaper, I would provide an incentive for them I.E. entry fee for “Pro” $65, or $60 with a diaper. That way a guy who runs once or twice a year can still race and have fun. If a racer runs more then that he has a incentive to get it on his car ASAP.

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: sr4440] #1473732
07/26/13 10:16 AM
07/26/13 10:16 AM
Pa
W
Wv68charger Offline
top fuel
Wv68charger  Offline
top fuel
W

Pa
Great idea! Joe

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: Wv68charger] #1473733
07/26/13 11:11 AM
07/26/13 11:11 AM
OHIO
T
THE GLASS MAN Offline
super stock
THE GLASS MAN  Offline
super stock
T

OHIO
Where is all this saftey stuff going to end. Just yesterday I heard that the NHRA is thinking of diapers on all the retired NHRA racers while they are in their Lazy Boy chairs watching the NHRA races on tv.

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: THE GLASS MAN] #1473734
07/26/13 12:16 PM
07/26/13 12:16 PM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
Quote:

Where is all this saftey stuff going to end. Just yesterday I heard that the NHRA is thinking of diapers on all the retired NHRA racers while they are in their Lazy Boy chairs watching the NHRA races on tv.

You just made me spit a mouthful of my morning coffee out from laughing so hard.

But on a side note. I race a 2005 4x4 Ram pickup which runs high 6.80's in the 1/8 cutting high 1.40 60's and she weighs in at 5200 lbs plus. I have all the required NHRA safety equipment, but added more than what NHRA requires. Besides the required front driveshaft hoop I also installed one on the rear incase the rear U joint let's go and could cause the spinning driveshaft to rupture my factory plastic fuel tank. I also use a Lofgren non SFI approved trans blanket around my transfer case since I race in 4x4 HI and something is better than nothing espeically when your family jewels could be in jepardy case the transfer case chain breaks. There's also a driveshaft hoop on the front driveshaft. Not required by NHRA, but required for the 4x4 trucks running sanctioned ice drags.

Jerry Williams.
Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: sr4440] #1473735
07/26/13 12:33 PM
07/26/13 12:33 PM
COLUMBUS, OH
W
Whompin_Wedge Offline
mopar
Whompin_Wedge  Offline
mopar
W

COLUMBUS, OH
Quote:

If I was running a track and wanted to try and get racers to run a diaper, I would provide an incentive for them I.E. entry fee for “Pro” $65, or $60 with a diaper. That way a guy who runs once or twice a year can still race and have fun. If a racer runs more then that he has a incentive to get it on his car ASAP.

Joe

This is the best idea yet!

I still don't see how it will really benefit a car with a drag-link anyway... I would like to run one, but there would be a giant hole in it!!

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: Whompin_Wedge] #1473736
07/26/13 12:54 PM
07/26/13 12:54 PM
Fancy Farm Ky
W
wyoming Offline
top fuel
wyoming  Offline
top fuel
W

Fancy Farm Ky
IMHO diaper rules makes some sense, much more so than 2 year belts, ect, all the things where your buying new stuuf when you allready have one thats still good. Dont live there anymore but couple years back Salt Lake City Rocky Mountain Raceways put in a diaper rule, all cars 10.99 or quicker, we were all pretty upset about it, couple of guys either quit running there, some just quit. The rest of us bought cheap diapers. Mine had the hole in the side velcro strapped above the link. I never needed mine, luckily, but I just raced there 2 years after the rule went into effect. But it did improve the overall racing. The oil cleanups went down quite a bit, didnt have near as many of the whole damn track ones. Cost me and everyone else a couple hundred bucks, but overall have decided it was a good deal. The RMR track crew was never known for fast cleanups, even though they had decent equipment, but it helped cut that issue, and had to help the guys who lost an engine on the top end. I did see one of the mopar diapers with the drag link hole contain a rod through the pan pretty well, think thats one time that they did maybe get it right.

Re: Track rules - could hurt car count [Re: MoparBilly] #1473737
07/26/13 12:58 PM
07/26/13 12:58 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

First of all: I have blown an engine, and oiled my slicks at 141 mph. I didn't crash, because I've driven on ice and snow, and I know how to control a vehicle! The single most dangerous thing on America's Drag Strips are inexperienced and incompetent drivers, Period!

2nd: The cost of the diaper is irrelevant. It's the fitment problems on a K-member car, and being forced to remove it to do routine maintenance.

I have since sold my back halved car, and picked up a strut front car, I also replaced the K in my Valiant with a tubular design, which, along with the fenderwell exit headers, make the catch pan underneath a viable option on both cars. Two things you will never see on a car of mine, is a diaper, or a trans blanket, heat sinks are not my cup o' tea.

If you find many things in life to be a "no-brainer", then the fact is you aren't using your brain. Nothing is that simple, except the person that thinks it is.

Billy...I lived in Buffalo NY for 42 yrs...I think I'm qualified for the ice and snow thing. Sometimes it happens so quickly there is no way out no matter how experienced a driver you are. I was just lucky I kept the front clip off the rail. I would suggest spending the cash to everyone..for safety and for clean-up time.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Page 2 of 2 1 2