05/31/13 12:26 AM
05/31/13 12:26 AM
Surrey, British Columbia
T
TseTse Runner Offline OP
TseTse Runner  Offline OP
T

Surrey, British Columbia
Is there any difference between a brake booster for manual brakes versus power brakes? My car, a '69 RR, has standard drum brakes and it was recommended to me to install a brake booster. Any information you can share will be appreciated. Am I correct to think that a brake booster is in fact what is called a power brake system?

Re: Brake Booster / Manual versus Power? [Re: TseTse Runner] #1445436
05/31/13 12:39 AM
05/31/13 12:39 AM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline
super stock
kilroy  Offline
super stock

Iowa State fan
Quote:

Is there any difference between a brake booster for manual brakes versus power brakes? My car, a '69 RR, has standard drum brakes and it was recommended to me to install a brake booster. Any information you can share will be appreciated. Am I correct to think that a brake booster is in fact what is called a power brake system?

????

If it has a booster its 'power brakes'. Unless someone meant to say they think you should install a booster?

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: Brake Booster / Manual versus Power? [Re: kilroy] #1445437
05/31/13 01:41 AM
05/31/13 01:41 AM
Lost and Spaced
B
bboogieart Offline
master
bboogieart  Offline
master
B

Lost and Spaced
Quote:

Unless someone meant to say they think you should install a booster?

From original post...
Quote:

it was recommended to me to install a brake booster.

yes The power brakes use a booster and the manual ones do not.
I wouldn't bother to change it. I like manual brakes. It's a personal thing. Maybe you could drive a power brake car and see if you like it enough to swap out the system. you will need the power master cylinder as well. Not sure about your car but I know you have to change the pedal assembly on the 68 c-bodies.

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.
Re: Brake Booster / Manual versus Power? [Re: TseTse Runner] #1445438
05/31/13 02:30 AM
05/31/13 02:30 AM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

Is there any difference between a brake booster for manual brakes versus power brakes?

I'm not aware of any difference between boosters for power brakes regarding drum or disc brakes, but I'm not an expert in that area.

Quote:

My car, a '69 RR, has standard drum brakes and it was recommended to me to install a brake booster. Any information you can share will be appreciated. Am I correct to think that a brake booster is in fact what is called a power brake system?

Yes. If converting to power brakes, i.e., adding a booster, it is likely you will need to change the brake pedal. Usually the brake pedal for power brakes has additional linkage to increase pushrod travel (or decrease pedal travel, depending on how you prefer to think of it). And, because of that linkage, the pushrod usually goes through an existing hole in the firewall in a slightly different location - I can't remember if it's higher or lower though. IIRC, power brakes have the master cylinder slightly higher, but I could be wrong. Sometimes master cylinder is different, too, because booster provides additional pushrod force - slightly larger bore on master cylinder can be used.

Short answer is - can't just add a booster and call it done.

Re: Brake Booster / Manual versus Power? [Re: TseTse Runner] #1445439
05/31/13 03:17 AM
05/31/13 03:17 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
Happy Birthday RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track

Lincoln Nebraska
Power brakes dont really give you more braking energy per se they just require less pedal effort since your getting an assist & the downside is they give you less brake feel. I'm assuming you want more braking power. If your brake shop can arc linings I'd have them do it & take the drums in also. here it's $5 a corner & some ceramic shoes will help you even further as will a bed in (break in) procedure. If all that ain't enough then it's time for a disc conversion

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth