Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Please clarify what you mean by ".... I can not get it to idle below 1000 as we are bottomed out on the idle adjustment ..."

Does this mean that the throttle plates are open as far as possible with the adjustment screw at 1000 rpm, or are they in the closed position?

When at an idle in neutral, if you put you hand over he middle carb to choke it, does the idle speed increase initially before dropping off?....if so, it could be a vacuum leak.

If I can give my after I've adjusted the center and outboards (promax baseplates installed) advanced the timing to where is really healthy, and vacuum is at 18 I'm idling around 1400rpms and I can't get the curb idle screw to get any lower the maybe 1200.

then you have a problem in your idle circut. or your floats could be a tad high.
As for the OP swap the balast and see what happens. If you drive an old mopar you should have a handful in your tool box, along w/ a spare ECM, Fuzeable link, and a few spare spark plug wires....

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1443573
09/01/13 01:55 PM
09/01/13 01:55 PM
Pacific Grove, CA
black68gtx Offline
black68gtx  Offline

Pacific Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Since I am going to have it off the engine anyone have any input on what jets, squirters, secondary springs, and pv I should put in since I will have it off? I know I should probably seal up the intake first but since I will have it all off on the bench it would be easy to do since it sounds like it will need something a little bigger. Thanks for all the help guys.

If it is a stock 6-pack set up I'd jump to 70 jets, 33-35 squirters, maybe drop down on the PV also, not sure what type of vaccum that cam should pull. I have yet to change out my acc pumps but I've been to told go up to 50cc. As for springs, try it on the street 1st. I eneded up with the purples and it flat out hauls tail. Once you get it tuned hang on.

What if anything will the 70 jets and 33-35 squirters, do for me at idle?
My problem is that when I drop it in drive it will stall and die. I have the Purple Cam 64 duration 110 centerline. Done everything under the sun (new 2400 flash stall convertor, new center carb, changed jets and pv's, prior to the new carb). My next step is to install filler gaskets on the valley pan. I'm still chasing a vacuum leak.

Last edited by black68gtx; 09/01/13 02:08 PM.
Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: black68gtx] #1443574
09/01/13 03:20 PM
09/01/13 03:20 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Since I am going to have it off the engine anyone have any input on what jets, squirters, secondary springs, and pv I should put in since I will have it off? I know I should probably seal up the intake first but since I will have it all off on the bench it would be easy to do since it sounds like it will need something a little bigger. Thanks for all the help guys.

If it is a stock 6-pack set up I'd jump to 70 jets, 33-35 squirters, maybe drop down on the PV also, not sure what type of vaccum that cam should pull. I have yet to change out my acc pumps but I've been to told go up to 50cc. As for springs, try it on the street 1st. I eneded up with the purples and it flat out hauls tail. Once you get it tuned hang on.

My problem is that when I drop it in drive it will stall and die. I have the Purple Cam 64 duration 110 centerline. Done everything under the sun (new 2400 flash stall convertor, new center carb, changed jets and pv's, prior to the new carb). My next step is to install filler gaskets on the valley pan. I'm still chasing a vacuum leak.

Have you recurved the distributor? Performance camshaft s need more initial advance to idle properly.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: black68gtx] #1443575
09/01/13 04:00 PM
09/01/13 04:00 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

purple cams like way more stall. If it flashes to 2400 than it's like 2000 stall. but it should idle better. go back to the basics.

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: superwrench] #1443576
09/01/13 04:15 PM
09/01/13 04:15 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

Quote:

Is the ballast directional?

NO. Get a test light or meter on the ballast while cranking and/or in the run position on the ignition switch.

you can completely bypass the ballast by hooking the wires together for a test. it's not going to hurt anything in 5 or 10 minutes it takes to eliminate this as a problem. i tried to read what you have for an ign. system but got confused with the side trips taken. chrome box, stock coil?

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: dannysbee] #1443577
09/01/13 04:17 PM
09/01/13 04:17 PM
Pacific Grove, CA
black68gtx Offline
black68gtx  Offline

Pacific Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have you recurved the distributor? Performance camshaft s need more initial advance to idle properly.

I did that a couple of weeks back. Would this cam be OK with 16* to 18* initial timing and 36* to 38* at 2200 or do I need to bump it up a little bit more?

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: black68gtx] #1443578
09/01/13 04:24 PM
09/01/13 04:24 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I did that a couple of weeks back. Would this cam be OK with 16* to 18* initial timing and 36* to 38* at 2200 or do I need to bump it up a little bit more?

what power valve and what vacuum reading? where are your idle screws set on the outboards?

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1443579
09/01/13 04:30 PM
09/01/13 04:30 PM
Pacific Grove, CA
black68gtx Offline
black68gtx  Offline

Pacific Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

purple cams like way more stall. If it flashes to 2400 than it's like 2000 stall. but it should idle better. go back to the basics.

On the recommendation a TCI salesman, I was sold the 727 Breakaway Torque Convertor it's rated at 2400 to 2600 flash stall, I was told it would cure my stall problem (it didn't). Should I stick with it or put the stock one back in?

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: mikemee1331] #1443580
09/01/13 04:34 PM
Pacific Grove, CA
black68gtx Offline
black68gtx  Offline

Pacific Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what power valve and what vacuum reading? where are your idle screws set on the outboards?

Right now I have a 4.5 with a 10" vacuum reading (in drive) The outboards have the Promax plates and are at 1/4 to 3/8.

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: black68gtx] #1443581
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
the converter (while low) is not the problem.

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: black68gtx] #1443582
09/01/13 04:36 PM
09/01/13 04:36 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The jets and squirter's you mention will do nothing at idle and you really don't need to go that far with either to begin with !!

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: 62maxwgn] #1443583
09/01/13 04:38 PM
09/01/13 04:38 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The jets and squirter's you mention will do nothing at idle and you really don't need to go that far with either to begin with !!

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap *DELETED* [Re: black68gtx] #1443584
09/02/13 12:21 PM
09/02/13 12:21 PM
Pacific Grove, CA
black68gtx Offline
black68gtx  Offline

Pacific Grove, CA
Post deleted by black68gtx

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: black68gtx] #1443585
09/02/13 01:15 PM
09/02/13 01:15 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

Last night I began installing these felpro gaskets hoping to put 1 set between the heads and the valley pan and the other on top between the intake and valley pan.

After 4 hours of trying to line up the 8 bolts. I could only get the 2 under the valley pan on for the bolt holes to line up. I guessing that 1 of 2 things is going on here

1) because the deck were shaved (when it was rebuilt) I won't be able to install all 4 gaskets or
2) I should only be installing only 2 gaskets regardless of the deck being shaved.

Any thoughts?

The felpro paper gaskets are way too thick. They often wont fit even without any deck surfacing. There are .015 thick gaskets available from other sources that will probably solve that problem. I gave a more detailed answer in your other thread. Fix the vacuum leak and the rest of this thread may be irrelevant.

Last edited by GomangoCuda; 09/02/13 01:17 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: vette1986] #1443586
09/03/13 10:16 AM
09/03/13 10:16 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

I parked it in the garage and when I went to fire it the car would start on the initial turn of the key and then die when I let the key back. It did this 3 or 4 times.

It is either the starter relay, ignition switch, or the bulkhead connection/wiring.

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: Dave Watt] #1443587
09/05/13 11:39 PM
09/05/13 11:39 PM
Wahoo Nebr
vette1986 Offline OP
pro stock
vette1986  Offline OP
pro stock

Wahoo Nebr
I finally got it to fire tonight!! I am not sure what was the issue as I replaced a couple things but it finally kicked off. I still have a fuel drip on the pressure side of the fuel pump so I did not have time to drive it as it is late and did not have any teflon laying around to seal it. But it sounded good and now we will see if the higher flow pump and chrome mopar box keep it from laying down on the top end!!

1969.5 A12 Bee EV2
1971 Charger RT
1973 Duster tubbed 500 low deck 10.90 monster
3 440 polara vert projects
Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: vette1986] #1443588
10/15/13 10:02 PM
10/15/13 10:02 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
An MSD6 box works really well in my street car 508 RB stroker with 6 pack. From what I have read the current MP boxes are not the way to go for ignition.

Not sure what year the MP boxes turned to mush but that info is out there.

Any updates. Well running 6 pack cars are a blast do not give up!

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: PHJ426] #1443589
10/15/13 10:20 PM
10/15/13 10:20 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
An Orange box I wouldn't trust......we've used Chrome ones for years and NEVER a problem.The Car will run just a fast or faster than an FBO equivalent.

Re: 440 Six Pack won't run for crap [Re: superwrench] #1443590
10/16/13 12:52 PM
10/16/13 12:52 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Make sure the ECu is grounded well. You mention changing stuff out. Sometimes that disturbs the rust or paint preventing a good ground and you get a "magic" fix like that happen. I've put "bad" ECU boxes back on for people who changed them out and got their car to run for a time until the corrosion returned.

I want my fair share
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6