05/07/13 03:25 AM
05/07/13 03:25 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Can anyone help me on how best to DIY "restore" these components? First photo is a restored (or repop, not sure) heater control panel; second is mine as it came out of the car; third is prepped for restoration. I know I can do the lettering with a white paint marker/pen, but what can I do to get the correct textured/crinkle finish paint (what paint/what process). Also, was the raised boarder surrounding the lettering originally chrome? How can I best do this? I don't need concourse restoration, just something that looks "close enough" to factory. I also need to do the same textured/crinkle finish for the radio dash bezel (4th & 5th photos). For the radio faceplate (6th photo): I am fairly certain the rectangular raised boarder (surrounding the knobs, chrome push-buttons, and station lens) was also chrome like the heater control panel. I would need to do this as well. Any advice on any aspect of restoring these pieces is greatly appreciated. I wish I could send these to a professional for "correct restoration", but I simply can't afford it. These are all for a '70 Challenger w/Rallye Dash. Thanks.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: filmsurgeon] #1431546
05/07/13 03:56 AM
05/07/13 03:56 AM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
For the silver, I use a silver/metallic sharpie. Maybe not the best way, but it's cheap. I believe 70s had a ribbed texture and not wrinkled like the parts pictured. Although maybe it changed during 70 from early to late production

68 Road Runner, 69 Belvedere, 71 Challenger Vert
340 barracuda, 01 Ram CTD, 95 Ram, 04 Ram, 85 Daytona turbo Z
66 GTO, 06 Magnum RT AWD. 07 Ram CTD, 07 Ram
Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: filmsurgeon] #1431547
05/07/13 03:57 AM
05/07/13 03:57 AM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
texture is part of the plastic, not paint. the smooth radio bezel is for standard dash cars (70-74 cudas and 71-74 challengers). to duplicate the chrome look, Ive heard that some higher end nail polishes look pretty convincing. the radio face plate is suppose to have chrome around the perimeter also.

Last edited by mopars_1; 05/07/13 03:59 AM.

1971 Plymouth Duster 340 auto
1937 Plymouth PT50
1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 speed
2013 Ram laramie 2500 hemi
2008 Harley FLSTSB springer
Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: Silver70] #1431548
05/07/13 03:58 AM
05/07/13 03:58 AM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
Quote:

For the silver, I use a silver/metallic sharpie. Maybe not the best way, but it's cheap. I believe 70s had a ribbed texture and not wrinkled like the parts pictured. Although maybe it changed during 70 from early to late production

the ribbed one was only used on standard dashes for 70 challengers only. ralleys used the pebble grain

1937 Plymouth PT50
Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: mopars_1] #1431549
05/07/13 09:57 AM
05/07/13 09:57 AM
DELAWARE
TONY_DAGOSTINO Offline
master
TONY_DAGOSTINO  Offline
master

DELAWARE
hi,
the texture on the heater panel and the radio bezel weren't in the plastic

it was paint

the best match youll have is a black wrinkle paint,
it does need to be heated for best wrinkle results, so be careful not to use too much heat or youll damage the plastic,

a hair drier or heat gun on low will do it,

although ive gotten best results from letting the item sit in the bright sun after the wrinkle paint has been applied

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: TONY_DAGOSTINO] #1431550
05/07/13 12:36 PM
05/07/13 12:36 PM
Ridgeland Wi
M
mopars_1 Offline
master
mopars_1  Offline
master
M

Ridgeland Wi
Quote:

hi,

it was paint

it does need to be heated for best wrinkle results, so be careful not to use too much heat or youll damage the plastic,

although ive gotten best results from letting the item sit in the bright sun after the wrinkle paint has been applied

I stand corrected

1937 Plymouth PT50
Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: mopars_1] #1431551
05/07/13 01:49 PM
05/07/13 01:49 PM
DELAWARE
TONY_DAGOSTINO Offline
master
TONY_DAGOSTINO  Offline
master

DELAWARE
that's what moparts is good for

I still learn stuff all of the time and probably will till the end

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: TONY_DAGOSTINO] #1431552
05/07/13 03:42 PM
05/07/13 03:42 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

hi,

it was paint

Thanks Tony. Any opinions on who makes the best wrinkle paint? BTW - is it wrinkle, crinkle, or crackle? Or are they really all the same? Seems that images I've seen where others have done wrinkle finish, it actually looks like "wrinkles", and not like the original texture of the paint on the radio dash bezel and heater control panel.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: filmsurgeon] #1431553
05/07/13 04:16 PM
05/07/13 04:16 PM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
I can absolutely tell you how to professionally do the letters. I did mine and it looks fantastic.

I went to the hobby store and bought a bottle of Testors white model paint, in the small square jar, and a bottle of Testors brush cleaner, and a small, cheap brush. About 7-8 dollar investment.

The only other thing you need is a brand new pencil with an unused eraser on it.

I lightly chucked the heater panel into my vise, with some towels for protection, just to hold it vertical and steady, letters facing up. All you need the brush for is to daub a small blob of the white paint onto a piece of scrap cardboard. Lightly daub the pencil eraser into the blob, then lightly wipe the eraser onto the cardboard, so that all you have on the end of the eraser is a light film of white paint. Lightly start touching the raised letters, with the eraser at a perfect 90 degree angle to the letters. Don't try to completely cover every spot you touch on the first daub. Just keep repeating the above steps.

Took me a little experimenting, but once I got the procedure perfected, took about 10 mins. to make the letters look perfect. Too much paint on the eraser, and the excess paint will run down the sides of the raised letters. If that happens, use the brush cleaner and a rag or paper towel to wipe the boo-boo, and go at it again with less paint on the eraser.

As for the edge, yes it's chrome. I used the silver/chrome paint pen. Not as chromey as it should be, but I'm happy with the results. As for the black, I can't help you. I didn't repaint my black, just scrubbed it real good with cleaners before I painted it.

Good luck and I know you will be happy with the results...

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: 318 Stroker] #1431554
05/07/13 04:23 PM
05/07/13 04:23 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

I can absolutely tell you how to professionally do the letters. I did mine and it looks fantastic.

I went to the hobby store and bought a bottle of Testors white model paint, in the small square jar, and a bottle of Testors brush cleaner, and a small, cheap brush. About 7-8 dollar investment.

The only other thing you need is a brand new pencil with an unused eraser on it.

I lightly chucked the heater panel into my vise, with some towels for protection, just to hold it vertical and steady, letters facing up. All you need the brush for is to daub a small blob of the white paint onto a piece of scrap cardboard. Lightly daub the pencil eraser into the blob, then lightly wipe the eraser onto the cardboard, so that all you have on the end of the eraser is a light film of white paint. Lightly start touching the raised letters, with the eraser at a perfect 90 degree angle to the letters. Don't try to completely cover every spot you touch on the first daub. Just keep repeating the above steps.

Took me a little experimenting, but once I got the procedure perfected, took about 10 mins. to make the letters look perfect. Too much paint on the eraser, and the excess paint will run down the sides of the raised letters. If that happens, use the brush cleaner and a rag or paper towel to wipe the boo-boo, and go at it again with less paint on the eraser.

As for the edge, yes it's chrome. I used the silver/chrome paint pen. Not as chromey as it should be, but I'm happy with the results. As for the black, I can't help you. I didn't repaint my black, just scrubbed it real good with cleaners before I painted it.

Thanks. That's a GREAT tip for the white lettering.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: mopars_1] #1431555
05/07/13 04:57 PM
05/07/13 04:57 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Quote:

Quote:

the ribbed one was only used on standard dashes for 70 challengers only. ralleys used the pebble grain

Wasn't sure, thanks for clearing that up... my car has a standard dash and it's been years since I worked on the other style.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: 318 Stroker] #1431556
05/07/13 08:53 PM
05/07/13 08:53 PM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
Quote:

That sure beats me trying to use a paint pen holding it in one hand while the other hand shakes like a dog chittin razor blades. I think mine would have turned out the same using a 2" brush. Thx for the tip!

7697603-Wipers.JPG (186 downloads)

...FAFO...
Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: skicker] #1431557
05/08/13 12:52 AM
05/08/13 12:52 AM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Quote:

Quote:

That sure beats me trying to use a paint pen holding it in one hand while the other hand shakes like a dog chittin razor blades. I think mine would have turned out the same using a 2" brush. Thx for the tip!

You're welcome... Guys use paintbrushes, toothpicks, etc. I'd have been in your boat using them... I'd heard of the eraser method, and I first tried a big pink eraser. Not good results, as the eraser was too big and soft. That's when I hit on the pencil eraser, and that was the perfect solution.

You could probably remove your paint, and do my method, possibly with the piece still in the car. Would be worth a try.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: filmsurgeon] #1431558
06/04/13 08:16 PM
06/04/13 08:16 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Turns out I won't be "restoring" my heater control panel after all. I discovered a couple of things upon further inspection and comparison against photos of other's panels. Don't know how this happened, or why it was done, but the section on the backside where the support bracket attaches is completely gone (see 1st photo). Aso, the mounting tab on the left side is broken (see 2nd photo). I just went ahead and ordered a repop panel instead. I hope I'll be satisfied with it. Regarding the lower back support bracket (see 3rd photo with red circle): Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I could possibly make one if someone could share photos and/or measurements. Also, In my search of photos, I found this (see last photo). Did the fan/blower switch have a knob as seen/circled in the photo? Any/all other fan/blower switches I've seen, look like mine w/o the knob. Thanks.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: filmsurgeon] #1431559
06/04/13 09:54 PM
06/04/13 09:54 PM
Grand Rapids MI
N
N9671X2 Offline
top fuel
N9671X2  Offline
top fuel
N

Grand Rapids MI
Another plug for using a pencil eraser as stamp for the paint, did a bunch of these and it is pretty much impossible to screw it up.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: filmsurgeon] #1431560
06/04/13 10:12 PM
06/04/13 10:12 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
You have the wrong blower switch installed or someone pushed a knob on an original shaft.
It should look like this.

7731241-IMG_0529.jpg (244 downloads)
Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #1431561
06/04/13 10:16 PM
06/04/13 10:16 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
It looks like you have a brand new dash wiring harness.
If so what year did you order?
The reason I ask is if your car is a 70 , why do you have a 72-74 3 speed wiper switch installed?
The dash wiring for a 70 has different plugs for the wiper switch. Did you switch the plug?
Jules

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #1431562
06/04/13 10:21 PM
06/04/13 10:21 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
He used my picture to highlight the bracket he needs.

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #1431563
06/04/13 10:26 PM
06/04/13 10:26 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Make absolutely sure you have a good ground for the screw right under the dimmer switch.
I circled it in black.
There should be NO paint between the switch plate and the dash frame.
Now is the time to test that before it is in the car.
Jules

Re: Heater Control Panel, Radio Faceplate, and Dash Bezel [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #1431564
06/04/13 10:28 PM
06/04/13 10:28 PM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Understood Darren. Sorry about that.
Jules