10/28/08 05:19 PM
10/28/08 05:19 PM
restos just aren't my thing
gtsuperbee Offline OP
top fuel
gtsuperbee  Offline OP
top fuel

restos just aren't my thing
I am about finished working on this 53 rat rod and I have a couple small problems left. On the gas gauge, if you touch it to ground, it should sweep to full and then return to empty when you quickly remove the ground. This one spikes straight to full and stays there until you shut the key off and turn it back on. I thought it should be somewhat gradual. On the sending unit, I have one that is pretty close ohm wise to the factory unit except they say it is for a 12 volt system. I didn't think it would make a difference as long as it ohms out the same. When hooked up, it will not move the gauge at all, then spike it to full at a certain point...no gray area. Think I have a bad gauge? Finally, the car won't charge and I believe I polarized the generator correctly. Any easy ways to test the generator or voltage regulator? The parts stores in the area have no test equipment. THANX

Restoring a car to look "only" as good as the factory made it is like getting a boob job for your wife and having the doctor make them two different sizes to seem more natural
Re: 53 plymouth 6 volt gas gauge problem [Re: gtsuperbee] #142708
10/28/08 06:30 PM
10/28/08 06:30 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I'd worry about the charging system first. Try this site for a bunch of info on both issues.
http://www.merc583.addr.com/mopar/framesets/welcomeframeset.html