Eric
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:06 AM

You guys are costing me a bunch of $.. . Every time I come on here someone else is stepping it up a notch. My goal right now is to be the fastest .509 on the board and have a 1.42 60ft. Hopefully on pumpgas and with no NOS. Although I may run Cam2 100 octane next year,the car seemed a bit more consistant in 2001 when I ran it.....So ,who else gets the bug from this site?...lol....Eric

=====================================

gd1996
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:11 AM

Well let me think... yes! All I wanted was a 12 second car before, now I want at least 10s on pump gas.
Did you find out what I owe ya yet for shipping?

==================================

Cincylance
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:12 AM

Eric,
I hear you brother! This board has me rethinking my build-up I just did. Now I want to tear her down again and build a stroker 416!

Will the madness never end?
Cincylance

======================================

Blowfish
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:18 AM

I am nearly done. Hopefully by April-May it'll be runnin. Before I registered here I was hoping fer 11's but now I'm thinkin' somewhere in the 10's. Yes, I could say it may be from the board. Isn't it great..

====================================

Eric
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:19 AM

So far nothing Joe...she thinks she may have paid the UPS bill already and told me to forget about it...I'll keep you posted if not ..Eric

======================================

gd1996
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:25 AM

Eric, just let me know. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an email or anything. Been too busy on other stuff, haven't spent much time on the net and end up with a full mailbox, so who knows what I may have deleted.

dr dodge
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:38 AM

not just speed, but project progress too
I see peoples pics and feel I need to run to the shop and do more
(although after 9 days off, I am "projected out" for a little while)

===================================

moparlulu
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 12:54 AM

Not so much Moparts, Mainly its a guy that runs with our club at the Club challange races. But Moparts has a hand in helping make our cars run faster !!! And I thank all of you!

Sport
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 01:44 AM

Moparts; isnt pushing me to go faster but it is certainly helping me with the info it provides to go that direction. Thats why I love this place. You on the other hand are a different story. You are about to make me get off my couch to keep up with you. You have unwittingly provided me with some good 60.ft. time improvement info. My couch has been empty for awhile. Thanks Sport.

========================================

DusterNut
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 02:05 AM

yes, but thats for the best im sure. like others said, helping out a whole lot on the way!

==================================

72 Duster 225 /6 with 4-speed OD/7.25 with 2.76 gears. Soon to be replaced by a 360 keepin the OD and gettin a ford 8" and 4.10s

quickd100
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 06:29 AM

Eric; UNCLE, I give up! You can have it. I'm going to try another cam. My 440 doesn't have the heads or the parts to compete. It's just junk to get me by until the good motor is done. I'd be tickled pink just to run an 11.99 with mine.

MOPARMAN2
posted 12-30-2002 07:40 AM

Going faster and faster is what racing is about! Well not just racing, but having fun. I don't think my .509 is going to catch Eric's without a lil blue bottle, but well save that for later in the year. Going 10" tire racing, heads up, pro tree w/ 3700lbs of pure sheetmetal, can't get any better than that(w/ new motor of course) Don't think the .509 would hold up to a 400 shot to amny times.
JAKE

71T/A
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 07:52 AM

YEP! I was hoping for a 13 sec street/strip Challenger now Gary has everyone shooting for 10's
Gonna take a HUGE shot of NOS for my little pea-shooter, Magnum to go 10's! Really 11 ANYTHING would be VERY acceptable for me (even if it take 150HP shot from the blue bottle).

Fun watching you BIG spenders go faster (69DartGT).

rrsbdh
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 08:01 AM

I guess in a way it does. But really I think it just helps us. After all we were not attracted to our Mopars in the first place because they were slow. Its because they are fast, different, and reliable. After all we could have all gone brand X to begin with. Its not easy being Mopar in some ways. The main problem is that our cars could run with any of em in their day. But our big block developement program stopped in the 70's dead cold. While brand X continued into the big chief of today. I wonder what direction the orginal builders of the big block Mopar would have went. Mopar was always known as the engineering company. Even though we had smaller size heads to start with we ran faster and did'nt need their deep gears or big cams to do it either. They had to run jolly gas just to keep up with us LOL. Thats why I wonder if should adopt the brand X tech altogether or continue on our path albeit accelerated to improve ourselves. We are making big strides though. The megablock, max block, and the Indy head program itself was a giant leap forward and we now have a large selection of big block heads. I don't have the brains to do it but I hope Mp and the aftermarket will continue the research developed on orginal Mopar tech of a high block and long rods. I have nothing against the low block tech. but it was'nt meant to be the Hp stuff just as a big block to meet smog regs.. The problem of the tall block long rod theory though is that it flys in the face of aftermarket tech. that is driven by and towards the brand X engine design. Thats what they have been driven by for all the years that Mopar power has been in the doldrums of their orginal tech.. However I think we will continue to come back and on stronger very day a force to be reconized and respected in the automotive world. To me this is what Moparts is all about.

71scamp
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 08:29 PM

Man if it weren't for Moparts I'd still be happy with my 11 second scamp! I can't believe the knowledge I've acquired through this site the last 2 years, my confidence is higher and I've taken the pro street plunge. I feel that I'm pretty much doing it right the first time because of Moparts.

a10sec70cuda
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 08:42 PM

i WAS gonna try to be the fastest w/ the 509 cam and stock rockers on the board, but didnt look like it was gonna happen without nitrous, lol. i didnt think my car has 10 sec capability w/ the 509 cam on motor only. so here i am changing my whole combination. following along w/ Unlawfl's combo, i really like that setup, all motor 10 sec ETs on pump gas. since my car is primarily a street car, it seems like the way to go for me. so im doing it, lol. i'd have been happy w/ my car like it was before running 11.40s IF it would run on straight 93 octane, but it wouldnt. 50/50 mix isnt really a streeter to me, which is what my old combo had to run on w/ 12.4:1 compression. so yes, this board is pushing me to go faster!!! i guess me and Unlawfl are gonna have a little friendly rivalry goin on this year!!! no im not talking junk to anyone, i just think its gonna be fun. thats one way to end up w/ a fast car, going back and forth w/ a friend until you beat em. i love it!! CHIP

STEFF
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 08:48 PM

Friendly rivalries are correct. Don't forget about me Chip or Gary.

69DartGT360
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 08:53 PM

Fun watching you BIG spenders go faster (69DartGT).
HEY I resemble that remark!!

a10sec70cuda
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 08:55 PM

sorry Steff!!! yeah, you're on the list too, lol!! hope noone gets mad, its all in fun. that hemi's gonna be tough to catch too!! CHIP

Unlawfl
Moparts
posted 12-30-2002 09:03 PM

I don't even know where to begin.. The assistance and yes the "push" from this board has really helped me out personally. My biggest "push" was going back and forth with my buddy Russ. He is "74Duster360" when he stops by here. Him and I have had some dragstrip rivalrys..
Chasing after Brad H's times and now the great assistance from Steff and friendly competition soon to ensue next year. And ofcourse BARELY keeping my head above water with WEEDLAYER.. A10second70cuda, youre gonna be the death of me!! GregZ too!! But honestly I do it for myself because a 10 second pump gas streeter is not something easy to come by without lots of cubes or ultra expensive parts.. If it were easy, I would have sold the car a long time ago. Missing the 10's this year was a hidden blessing. Something to shoot for next year.. "If I wind up at the bottom of the heap, thats fine.. Just please give me a 10.99!!!!!"

Yeah, this place pushes me!!! And thanks to those of you that do..

383-man
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:06 PM

Na. Besides I know I cant afford to be the fastest. It just that if I go to the track knowing I have run 12.30's then I dont want to go slower. Well mabe it does. Honestly I just like to have my car run good for the combo it has and yes its something about always wanting to go faster as you sure dont want to slow up. Ron

JERICOGTX
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:21 PM

Moparts, pushing me? NOPE!
Helping me get my goal, and doing it right the first time? YES!

DusterDave
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:35 PM

I really don't let outside forces determine how I build my Duster. I just want to own the hairiest A-body (or Mopar, for that matter) in the Tampa area. With this new blown 528 Hemi I'm currently building, I will accomplish my goal!

STEFF
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:42 PM

Gary,
This next season is going to be the best yet. We're going to have some fun chasing those personal bests.
Hey Jerico,
What numbers are you shooting for with your new bullet?

Blowfish
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:49 PM

C'mon Chip,Un and others. I'm sure WE will all have the FRIENDLY rivalry. RIGHT?

TonyS451
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:52 PM

Absolutely, and I think it's great! The knowledge shared on this site has taught me a ton about going faster. How can you not want to keep improving? Truly addictive if you ask me. What I love about this site is that everyone wants to see the other guy succeed. Ok, maybe not everybody, but most are on the same team. The only problem I have is the expense of keeping up with you guys!

JERICOGTX
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:58 PM

STEFF, I'm leaving that one open... I really have not thought of a goal E.T. wise. Goals for next year: Have 130+ mph trap speed, make it all year without problems, have fun with people from the board, and my other friends.

69RoadRunner
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 09:58 PM

No, actually it has done the opposite. Guys here talked some "sense" into me asking if I wanted a "race" car or just a cruiser. I told them I wanted a faster than stock(383 69 RR ) cruiser. What I wanted was to be able to beat most Mustangs and ricers at "stop light" jousts and thought low 13's would do that. The members here told me to go with HP manifolds and a cam in the MP 284/484 range but mabey a little more centerline they also told me not to go hog wild with the heads and that at my power level(about 400hp) I would not even really need oversized valves. They helped me a lot and the best thing is with the help I got I will save money,get the right combo, and go 13.30-13.50 or so in the quarter thats just what I want!!!!!!!!

Unlawfl
Moparts
posted 12-30-2002 10:16 PM

Blowfish, I'm not playin' with that evil lookin' thing you got. I'd likely be sucked up, shot out and steam rolled by those big meats!!

Don1
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 10:20 PM

I am satified where the car runs and it is consistant. I just need to do a driver atitude adjustment.

69RR383hp
posted 12-30-2002 10:35 PM

You guys are all sick!!! LOL but that's OK--my drinking team has a racing problem too! Chip's got me back into it now--just hoping to get into the 12's this year--not sure my heart could take 10's!

kevin keesler
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 10:58 PM

Just face it you guys all love to go fast in a mopar.

rjl1160
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 11:31 PM

hi eric, sorry i didn't get the chance to hook up with you, but i'm up there at least twice per year, we'll try next time.
i would say carl's adventures with his commando headed motor did get me scratching my head regarding the commando/magnum aluminum heads, which got me going from an "x" head 340 to a magnum headed 360, so yes in a way moparts has made me "want" to go faster. (and spend more $! - lol)

rj

Eric
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 11:42 PM

Don1,funny you mentioned having the car run consistantly. Up until this year my car would run a 7.27 almost every time off the trailer. Guys I race with could'nt believe it. Almost every picture I have has the same dial in . This year I decided I wanted to run IHRA Hot Rod since most of my friends do. I was at a disadvantage for two reasons..1- heavy car with not much motor..2- empty wallet with a wife looking in it...lol..not really she has been great.
Made some cahnges and the car picked up a bit,but as you know with bracket racing and points being at stake sometimes you can't just try to make it faster. My driving suffered a bit this year somewhat do to all the changes I made(new box was a big one). Next year hopefully with a little weight off I can get my ET's closer to what my 60ft's would indicate.And get the consistant factor back up to # 1...Eric

rjl1160
Moparts Member
posted 12-30-2002 11:53 PM

same here eric, feel free to give your buddy my e-mail address, i'm not that far from mooresville, going there tommorrow as a matter of fact.
rj

rrsbdh
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 12:09 AM

I've enjoyed all the friendly rivalery like the other Dodge and CD for instance in their bench racing sessions. Its nice too seeing people just help each other solve their problems and get running right. It all starts all over again with that thrill of getting back on the road.

joe z
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 12:37 AM

i would agree with most that moparts hasn't pushed me but helped me get where i am. one thing i want to do in the spring is join the 8 second and 150 mph club. i just have to get my trans and a few other things done with the tech help of moparts and open up the blue bottle.

Streetwize
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 12:46 AM

Are you kidding? Piston companies ought to send dividend checks to MoParts! How many people started out with "I wanna do a stock rebuild".... to "Gee, If I bore another .020 though I'd can get my stroker 360 up to 414 CI!!"
Lotsa super-sizing from ported stock heads to aluminum, hydraulics to solids, solids to rollers (uh... that'll be me!!), etc.

I guess if you gotta break it down to one thing.... It's all GARY's FAULT!!!

Wize

duster john
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 01:49 AM

pushing! hell yes. i've seen some milder combos hear run real good. a lot of 440's in the 10's. with a 10.59 best ive got a lot of work to do. street car or not this pig should go lower 10's to gain a little respect. one in paticular is chucks (best machine) that 496 rocks. 10.0's at 3800. even his pump gas hydraulic roller combo went mid 10's. 3800 lbs, to my 3350. he was making alot more power than me.

Ilias383
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 03:38 AM

The info I've attained from this board, some people acquire through years of practical work, racing, theory etc.
For this reason thats why I've managed to run 10.2@131.6 driving to and from the track and next meet I'm gonna do my best to make that single digit number and of course hopefully drive it home from the track!

My car ran a 12.7 first meet. Since then and without even pulling the engine apartI managed to get that down to 11.1. With the addition of nitrous I'm down to 10.2.

This engine (383, stock rod, TRW's,) has done over 10,000miles, 250 1/4mile passes, regularly sees 7,000rpm and since the addition of nitrous I've gone through nearly 100lbs of gas on 200+hp setting. I've always been conservative on the tune but once melted the ground strap on a plug.

Hopefully there's still some more life in the 383.

This is why I love Mopar, Moparts and the board members and 383's!

TonyS451
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 08:50 AM

Duster John - I may be wrong, but I think you may have the fastest pump gas car on the board (that I'm aware of). I hear what you are saying though about wanting to go faster, just thought I would give you a thumbs up for now!

451 Jim
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 09:18 AM

I don't know if it is just from this bulletin board, but I do have the speed bug. In 2000 when I put my street/strip 440 Barracuda together, I was happy tuning it into the high 11's. But I realized I wanted faster, so I got a race car so I didn't beat up that nice driver too much. I was aiming for mid-high 10's with this car and it beat that. Now I want to push it down a tenth or two

telcompro2@aol.com
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 09:25 AM

Actually, Moparts has inspired me to make my cars into exactly what I want them to be: Just the way I want them! Before a couple of years ago, I would'nt DARE paint a car in anything other than its original color. I also would not have deviated from stock valve covers & intake, etc...
Moparts helped push me back into the Seventies, where the guys who owned our cars fixed them up with individual style, and the term "Trailer Queen" only referred to the young lady appearing on the cover of "Mobile Home Monthly" magazine.

MODART
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 09:36 AM

Watching some of the Big Cube build-ups here lately is very inspiring to say the least. There is a plan sometime in the future for a Big Cube Mill in the Dart, just not now. Reading as much info that is on this board is gaining knowledge. Knowledge = Power..

4speeds4me
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 09:50 AM

I'd have to say no. It makes me feel bad sometimes about how slow my car will be, but I'm trying to stick to what I had planned from the beginning. I've built the motor on a limited budget, and am trying to finish the car on the same budget. I'm expecting to have a mid-high 13-second SB/4-speed combo, with about $1500CDN into the engine. We'll see. (It ran mid 13's in the 80's with stock dished pistons, mild cam, 3.91's and dual 4's) I'm HOPING to see high 12's, but it's all irrelevant till it's back together.
Where I feel pushed is to build a 318 to try to keep up to the 360!

WEEDLAYER
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 09:52 AM

I started tinkering with mine before I got on board. If I had it to do all over again, I would be dragging this "pack mule" around with a BB stroker. But, ya run what ya brung, and I see a couple spots on "the list" I might move up on with some minor mods But, it seems all summer long somebody comes up with a new best, that is within range to catch up with. It's really fun keeping the pressure on some BB guys with this litle block, but I know it's unrealistic to chase them too far

Blowfish
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 03:39 PM

Unlawful, I've never thought of my car as "EVIL". I guess I'll take that as a compliment,lol.
I think there will be another day this summer when alot of us can get together. Sorta like the day that 69DART had at Beaver Springs{?}. After all, I am now in the market for a trailer. Been seachin fer about 4 days...

340SIX
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 06:58 PM

faster no but to finish this 4 yaer prodject yes and also seeing that others have long term cars as well keeps me sane {OOPS did i say i was sane?}

PYSCHO Ward
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 09:05 PM

You can watch brand X or any others all day long,ho hum de dum, occassionally raise yer brows to look around, maybe at the ladies or something in view,Buuuuuuttt, bring out a mopar with the wheels 2 feet in the air, my eyes go togetherand hand starts. Yes all these fast mopars on here make me think faster,faster. GREAT guys on here, if a little friendly pushin and competition goes on , its all Fun if it stays Friendly.
most guys on here way too professional to be any different.
Eric & Blowfish whens the next meet ?

67Mopar
Moparts Member
posted 12-31-2002 10:14 PM

Hell ya, All I wanted to do was get my 383 Satelite on the road to drive, now I have the 440 going in it, and another 440 to race pre

Ilias383
Moparts Member
posted 01-01-2003 03:35 AM

451Jim, I hear ya! To be honest I know I'm pushing the envelope with the rods but at 200hp with the spray the engine feels comfortable, the only thing I know that has been affected is ring and bore wear. I'll leave my decision to pump more gas into it on the day.
I'm gonna do one more meet with the spray and if it doesn't look like it'll run a 9 for whatever reason eg hot weather, no traction etc then I'll turn the bottle off and make a decision to start my other car which is a little more strip orientated, 10point cage, tubs, full floater rear, lightweight etc and I'll beef the engine up for the associated abuse that nitrous brings with it eg H-beams, main+head studs, o-ringed decks, nice light pistons etc.

But I'm interested to know where the limit is for this engine even though it may be a costly one.

For those who are interested I'm running one Holley Black to a mallory 3 port return reg which feeds both the carb and NOS and the engine ran 10.2 using avgas with 27deg total timing using NOS's jetting of 82nos/91fuel with 1000psi nos pressure and 6psi fuel pressure, plugs looked rich on this setting but its safe.