02/20/13 05:13 PM
02/20/13 05:13 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Back in 2003, the prior owner installed the crappy vacuum formed Palco (DashTop) repro panels throughout the car (kick, door, rear qtr, and seat backs). I know they were the only repros available at the time, but now that I've gutted the interior, I don't want these going back in the car. I REALLY don't like them. Several years ago, I acquired from various sources: excellent condition black original door panels, and hardtop rear qtr panels (it was a set that the seller didn't want to break up); excellent condition black original kick panels; poor condition white original seat backs; poor condition white original convertible rear qtr panels. The plan was to have these panels (except the kick panels; they're fine the way they are) "restored" and/or color changed (with vinyl) by Just Dashes (or a similar shop). Of course, I'd much rather have good condition white originals that just need some cleaning and conditioning to look nearly new. The other preference would be that Metro start making the rear panels for the convertibles. I have read great reviews on their other interior panels. I emailed Metro the other day and this was their response: "We do not make the convertible panels at this time, and I am unsure of when we may have them at this time. We tried to do a group-buy last year, but the response was underwhelming to put it mildly." Anyway, I've attached some photos of the original seat backs and rear qtr panels to get some member's opinions on their condition, and/or if it's worth the $$$ to cover them in the vinyl. Since I live in the Los Angeles area, I will be taking the original panels to Just Dashes (30 min drive) to get an estimate. All comments, thoughts, suggestions, advice and opinions appreciated. Also, if anyone has any decent panels, or any leads on where I could get some, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by filmsurgeon; 03/02/13 05:55 AM.
Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: filmsurgeon] #1391004
02/20/13 07:56 PM
02/20/13 07:56 PM
SE Wisconsin, USA
RP's R/T's Offline
super stock
RP's R/T's  Offline
super stock

SE Wisconsin, USA
The fact that you have a set of nice panels is something worth valuing...highly. Any color, other than black, will probably be seeriously degraded/chalky after this time, so your chances of getting white panels is highly unlikely.
Rear panels have the same basic location for power and crank window, so don't worry about that.

Metro panels will most likely never come out. Any who were interested were told to provide a credit card number, name and address to show we were serious and they never got to their desired quantity.

I would not buy aftermarket, unless the car was a daily driver.
I would not have Just Dashes recover them either, but that's just me.
I paid dearly for a black set and dyed/painted them (blue) and they are OK, but it doesn't take much to take off that thin coat of paint and this type of plastic doesn't take paint well. But, it looks more stock.

Door panels and seat backs are awesome from Metro.

Hope that helps..a little.

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: RP's R/T's] #1391005
02/20/13 09:28 PM
02/20/13 09:28 PM
portland or
new bee Offline
Richard Cranium
new bee  Offline
Richard Cranium

portland or
I've had good results with Just Dashes on several parts (headrests on the Super Bee, dash on the Alfa). They can be expensive, but they might be your only option unless you are willing to wait for a good set to come around.
Just Dashes will not be able to recreate a perfect OEM look, FWIW.

*1969 383 4sp. Super Bee
*1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT
*1965 Porsche 356C
*2004 VW Passat Wagon
*2004 Mini Cooper S
*1967 Jaguar E-Type FHC

A mall cop is in our midst.
Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: RP's R/T's] #1391006
02/21/13 01:02 AM
02/21/13 01:02 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

The fact that you have a set of nice panels is something worth valuing...highly. Any color, other than black, will probably be seeriously degraded/chalky after this time, so your chances of getting white panels is highly unlikely.
Rear panels have the same basic location for power and crank window, so don't worry about that.

Metro panels will most likely never come out. Any who were interested were told to provide a credit card number, name and address to show we were serious and they never got to their desired quantity.

I would not buy aftermarket, unless the car was a daily driver.
I would not have Just Dashes recover them either, but that's just me.
I paid dearly for a black set and dyed/painted them (blue) and they are OK, but it doesn't take much to take off that thin coat of paint and this type of plastic doesn't take paint well. But, it looks more stock.

Door panels and seat backs are awesome from Metro.

Hope that helps..a little.

All the feedback from the members on this site is extremely helpful and valuable. I would certainly buy the Metro door and seat back panels (in white), if I could find a very good pair of (any color) convertible rear panels. I'd then just dye those and I think I'd be very satisfied. Any help in locating good rear panels (any color) will be greatly appreciated. I know they're vary rare (especially in unmolested and good condition). The back seat would see practically zero use; so dying them would be fine by me.

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: new bee] #1391007
02/21/13 01:14 AM
02/21/13 01:14 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

I've had good results with Just Dashes on several parts (headrests on the Super Bee, dash on the Alfa). They can be expensive, but they might be your only option unless you are willing to wait for a good set to come around.
Just Dashes will not be able to recreate a perfect OEM look, FWIW.

I have seen the work done by Just Dashes. It is very good, but I know it doesn't have that "stock" look. That doesn't bother too much, because my Challenger has so much non-stock stuff on it anyway. But I would really prefer to have interior panels that have as much a stock look as possible. Regarding cost to have Just Dashes cover them in vinyl: given the $$$ I have already collectively spent on the original panels I have, I would rather NOT have to pay even more $$$ to have them "restored"/color changed with vinyl only to have them not look stock. I'd much rather get the Metro white door and seat back panels, and get and dye a good pair of convertible rear panels. Then sell the original panels I have to hopefully almost break even.

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: filmsurgeon] #1391008
02/22/13 12:47 AM
02/22/13 12:47 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Please accept my apologies for the following lengthy post. The primary reason for this is to gain some valuable opinions and advice. I believe the more complete and detailed the information is, the better/easier it is to make a "well-informed" decision. The secondary reason is because I needed to really think about my alternatives; and putting them in writing helps me to think more clearly and objectively.

I am considering (7) different options for right now, because I want to get the entire interior back in the car (and hopefully finish everything else) in time for an upcoming Mopar show in early-mid May http://www.cpwclub.com/springevents/content-2/ . The decision on which way to go will be collectively based on overall total cost, best overall appearance, and highest percentage of total quality throughout (i.e. fit, manufacturing, and/or "restoration"). I would continue looking for better original rear panels, but I want/need to decide very soon on 1 of the following 7 options.

Please let me know if you think of any other viable options.

Regarding all the options below :
- The excellent condition original kick panels I have will work fine in all options.
- After the decision is made and the work is done, I would sell all/any leftover original panels, and all/any leftover removed Palcos. I could come out ahead, or at the very least recoup a minimum of 50% of the total cost (except for what was already spent several years ago on the used originals; which I have pretty much written off at this point).

Option #1
- Purchase Metro white door and seat back panels.
- Purchase a new pair of Palco white rear panels. Although I just took the Palco panels out of the car, I would not necessarily want to reuse the rears because they have damage/modifications/manufacturing defects that can be seen when installed. I've included some photos of those areas which are located on the leading edge of the panel. The leading edge is "grafted" onto the main body of the panel; which I'm sure is part of the manufacturing, as there are other segments on the backside that are "grafted" on. Hopefully, they have improved their manufacturing process since 2003.
- Total cost = ~ $1,300

Option #2
- "Restore" the deteriorated original rear panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop). I use the term "restore" loosely. I know they would just be covered with vinyl by vacuum adhesion.
- Total cost = ~ $1,300

Option #3
- Re-use my Palco rear panels, but make some repairs to the manufacturing flaws, and try and and achieve a better fit through mods/trimming.
- Total cost = ~ $900

Option #4
- "Restore" ALL of my original panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop). ALL panels include: doors, rear quarters, and seat backs.
- Total cost = ~ $1,000 (Until I get an actual quote, I am just speculating on this cost. Although several years ago, I did bring my originals to Just Dashes for a quote and I vaguely remember something in this "ballpark".

Option #5
- Re-dye/Paint the excellent condition original black door panels to white.
- Purchase Metro white seat back panels.
- "Restore" the deteriorated original rear panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop).
- Total cost = ~ $600

Option #6
- "Restore" the deteriorated original rear panels and seat back panels by Just Dashes (or similar vendor shop).
- Total cost = ~ $600

Option #7
- Purchase Metro white seat back panels.
- Re-use my Palco rear panels, but make some repairs to the manufacturing flaws, and try and and achieve a better fit through mods/trimming.
- Total cost = ~ 400

I know there are some other combinations, but I think I've thought of all the ones that would ensure that I don't have more than (2) noticeably different textures.

And now for the big question - I know there are a lot of factors that come into play, but if you were in a similar situation, would you go with one of the above options and if so, which one? If not any of the above options, then what?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by filmsurgeon; 03/02/13 05:57 AM.
Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: filmsurgeon] #1391009
02/22/13 12:58 AM
02/22/13 12:58 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
New Metro seat back panels & Just dashes on the doors & rears.... But I'm getting the idea you live in the LA area, if thats true go to Just Dashes in person, take pictures of my rear panels & ask them to try hard at keeping that detail... I think they could do a better job.. I'm Ok with most of the panel & if the front & rear matched I'd be happier...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1391010
02/22/13 01:48 AM
02/22/13 01:48 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

New Metro seat back panels & Just dashes on the doors & rears.... But I'm getting the idea you live in the LA area, if thats true go to Just Dashes in person, take pictures of my rear panels & ask them to try hard at keeping that detail... I think they could do a better job.. I'm Ok with most of the panel & if the front & rear matched I'd be happier...

Thanks Randy. I do live in the LA area (30 min drive for me to Just Dashes). I plan to go to Just Dashes for a quote, and to see the variety of their vinyl products. Can I get pictures of your rear panels?

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: filmsurgeon] #1391011
02/22/13 02:10 AM
02/22/13 02:10 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
I shouldn't have even mentioned it in the other thread.. They are packed away & I haven't had time to dig them out... I've gotten PM's from four guys plus your request & honestly I'm not looking to sell them...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1391012
02/22/13 08:09 PM
02/22/13 08:09 PM
South, FL
cudaized Offline
top fuel
cudaized  Offline
top fuel

South, FL
Quote:

...I've gotten PM's from four guys plus your request & honestly I'm not looking to sell them...

Oh...I know that feeling.

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: cudaized] #1391013
03/02/13 06:01 AM
03/02/13 06:01 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Here are pictures I got from Tony's Parts for the "CHALLENGER PR RED CUT FOR SPEAKERS" (listed at the bottom of his E-Body Used parts list). I asked for more info ('cause all I got were these photos when I inquired about the panels), but am still waiting for a reply. The panels appear to have once been tan, and painted red a long time. It's difficult to assess the level of deterioration (if any) under the paint. Obviously, the red paint could be removed and the panels re-dyed/painted (which is what I would have to do to get them white for my interior). It's hard to tell with the paint peeling off, but it looks as though they may have been painted red twice. It's hard to tell if these are any better than the deteriorated white originals I have. Still looking for "good" condition panels for re-dye/paint. Thanks.

Last edited by filmsurgeon; 03/02/13 06:04 AM.
Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #1391014
03/02/13 06:30 AM
03/02/13 06:30 AM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Quote:

New Metro seat back panels & Just dashes on the doors & rears.... But I'm getting the idea you live in the LA area, if thats true go to Just Dashes in person...

Thanks. Although I don't think I had this combination listed in my (1) of (7) options, I'm starting to think this might be the way to go.

BTW - Went to Just Dashes on Thursday to show them my panels (doors, rears, seat backs) to get a quote. $1,550 minus 10% discount = $1,400. Each door panel is $190; each seat back is $190. Here's the killer; each rear panel is $350. "Why?" Because, when they do these convertible rears, they do both front AND back sides. "Why?" They said, "because with the top down you can see into the back side of the panel. I said, "how about you just cover the front side of the panel, and I'll take care of the back with paint. They said; "No, we won't do that for you". I said; "Why not?" They said; "Because we don't want something going out of our shop without it being totally ready to install in you car, and we have a reputation that needs to be maintained, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. So, I don't know. Just Dashes much more expensive than I had assumed. Are there any other shops/companies that do this kind of work, or is Just Dashes the ONLY game in the Country? What successful experiences/approaches has anyone enjoyed? Thanks.

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: filmsurgeon] #1391015
03/02/13 08:31 AM
03/02/13 08:31 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
An approach I've seen before is to find a length of the correct grain vinyl (that matches the door panels). You can often find it at a local fabric store in black or white - colours can be an issue.

Using 3M spray adhesive and a heat gun, attach the vinyl to the degraded door panel, using the heat to help stretch and conform the vinyl to the curves.

For the leading edge at the door, there will be the issue of thickness to consider - it's possible to shave down the backing of the vinyl a bit and wrap it over.

For the footwell lights, leave small flaps of material that can be tucked into the slats and fastened behind.

For the upper area where the boot attaches, there's no great way of hiding it other than

a) try to thin down the vinyl and attach the catwhisker over it

b) be neat with your edges on the other parts, then the convertible top boot will cover up the work.

The groove in the middle of the panel will not be quite as crisp/defined, but the vinyl will follow enough of the contour to look decent. Far better than a ratty old panel.

'Cudas are a less forgiving because the grooves aren't as deep and there are two of them. Though adding the woodgrain can help to mask this issue....

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: filmsurgeon] #1391016
03/09/13 05:58 AM
03/09/13 05:58 AM
Puyallup, Wa.
S
Steve340 Offline
pro stock
Steve340  Offline
pro stock
S

Puyallup, Wa.
Quote:

Quote:

New Metro seat back panels & Just dashes on the doors & rears.... But I'm getting the idea you live in the LA area, if thats true go to Just Dashes in person...

Thanks. Although I don't think I had this combination listed in my (1) of (7) options, I'm starting to think this might be the way to go.

BTW - Went to Just Dashes on Thursday to show them my panels (doors, rears, seat backs) to get a quote. $1,550 minus 10% discount = $1,400. Each door panel is $190; each seat back is $190. Here's the killer; each rear panel is $350. "Why?" Because, when they do these convertible rears, they do both front AND back sides. "Why?" They said, "because with the top down you can see into the back side of the panel. I said, "how about you just cover the front side of the panel, and I'll take care of the back with paint. They said; "No, we won't do that for you". I said; "Why not?" They said; "Because we don't want something going out of our shop without it being totally ready to install in you car, and we have a reputation that needs to be maintained, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. So, I don't know. Just Dashes much more expensive than I had assumed. Are there any other shops/companies that do this kind of work, or is Just Dashes the ONLY game in the Country? What successful experiences/approaches has anyone enjoyed? Thanks.

Yes, you can see the back of the panels when the top is down and it should be smooth, not grained like the front. If they do the back side, that is not correct and a waste of time money. I never heard of such a thing.

Re: '70 Challenger Convertible Interior Panels [Re: Steve340] #1391017
03/09/13 06:31 PM
03/09/13 06:31 PM
California, USA
filmsurgeon Offline OP
mopar
filmsurgeon  Offline OP
mopar

California, USA
Check this out. I wonder what their idea of "restored" is. Regardless, $3,500 is simply outlandish!!

"70 Challenger Convertible, Restored WHITE Interior Panels. NICE! Will fit 71 but correct for 70 3500.00"

http://www.totallyautoinc.com/usedparts/upinterior.html