10/17/08 09:47 PM
10/17/08 09:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only low tension oil rings I ever ran on the street--spotted up the back of my white Super B and it got rid of some oil--Ran great but...
Does seem that you have worked hard and thought about it --the bore scope is a great tool and easy as pie to use--borrow one and try that...on the other hand every Hemi I have ever done used some oil one way or the other--Oil has NO octane so pinging is the tell on this one--I think it is getting in from the top either seals or plug tubes--you have done the intake twice --I bet you that it is OK
Good luck

Re: Hemi oil consumption problem-opinions welcome [Re: Rustydog] #137614
10/17/08 10:28 PM
10/17/08 10:28 PM
Central NC
gch Offline
master
gch  Offline
master

Central NC
Quote:

Engine was set up without a PCV system.
Barton fitted the engine with breathers on each valve cover.

Does this provide adequate crankcase ventilation?I would at least try a pcv setup and see if it makes a difference.
I have only had one engine(not a hemi) with chrome rings.It used oil after 1000 miles and had terrible leakdown numbers shortly there after.The machinist used them against my instructions.
Good luck with the problem.

Re: Hemi oil consumption problem-opinions welcome [Re: Rustydog] #137615
10/18/08 03:54 AM
10/18/08 03:54 AM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline OP
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline OP
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

I bought a 472 Hemi from Ray Barton for a lot of money.
It had Stage V heads on it with his roller rocker set up on it.
After 1500 miles it started burning a lot of oil.
It looked like I was spraying the town for mosquitoes.
Away I contacted him. I was told to remove the engine and bring it back. Weeks later he tore the engine down. He said that the cylinder walls were very shinny. Almost chrome in appearance. He asked me if I made any changes to the carburation or ignition timing at all. I did not. I installed the engine as I got it. They set the carb and timing when they dynoed the engine.
Anyway - Long story short. He put new rings in it and honed the block. I put the engine in. After I started it I checked the timing. It was where it should be. 35BTDC. The engine ran very well as it did before. He charged me $1000.00 more for the new rings, honing and gaskets. I felt that I gave him more than $17K the first time that this should be free of charge. Anyway, if I didn't pay the additional 1K I probably would not have gotten my engine back.
Now I have less than 1000 miles on it since I got it back.
Guess what, it is starting to smoke again.
I think that the problem is the chrome moly rings.
I think that I'll be pulling the engine again this winter and re-ring it myself.

You'd think a shop that big would stand behind there products. For most people (including me) $17,000 is a lot of money to spend for something that fails in a short time and then to charge for the repair.

I try to do as much as I can myself. This way I have no one to blame but myself or the sub-standard parts that seem more abundant today.

Someone mentioned crud on the valves. Yes, I did have this happen, but I think a leaky intake would give you the same results as the valve seals (intake). I did change the left bank seals (the old ones were fine) because it seems to be the side that has the film in the tail pipe and I wanted to eliminate one more item. I don't have a huge cloud of smoke. Just a little intermittent condensation like smoke out of the left pipe on start up. After running for a few minutes it's barely noticeable. No plug fouling either. PCV is fine. Engine runs fantastic. I'm just getting tired of having to keep my eye on the oil level all the time.

I've used moly rings on several motors in the past and they always work great provided the cylinders are finished correctly. I really doubt in my case it's a ring as the leak down was good and I'm not fogging the town with smoke.

Re: Hemi oil consumption problem-opinions welcome [Re: torkrules] #137616
10/18/08 11:33 AM
10/18/08 11:33 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
If the leakdown was good then it has to be a problem with the guides somehow.

I want my fair share
Page 2 of 2 1 2