Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: GTX Mike] #1366167
01/08/13 11:23 PM
01/08/13 11:23 PM
G
GTX Mike Offline OP
GTX Mike  Offline OP
G

I looked for a one-piece rear main, and I didn't find anything on the Hughes site (or anywhere else). Maybe we were trying to wish it into existence. I thought about a problem with this: something that could be made to fit around a crankshaft probably wouldn't have much stiffness.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: GTX Mike] #1366168
01/09/13 01:36 AM
01/09/13 01:36 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline
super stock

Chicago
I hope I'm wrong..... but was the block/main journals align honed? The only reason I can see to cut .010" off the rear main seal retainer would be to re-center the seal on the crankshaft after the block was align honed (ie crankshaft moved up in block, but rear oil seal at original/lower location). It's hard to imagine that at least the rope seal couldn't tolerate being off center slightly... but????

You also mentioned that the back of the block is dry. Are you 100% sure that's oil leaking and not gear lube out of a 4-speed trans front seal?

I'm just throwing out some other ideas here....

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1366169
01/09/13 03:25 AM
01/09/13 03:25 AM
G
GTX Mike Offline OP
GTX Mike  Offline OP
G

Quote:

I hope I'm wrong..... but was the block/main journals align honed? The only reason I can see to cut .010" off the rear main seal retainer would be to re-center the seal on the crankshaft after the block was align honed (ie crankshaft moved up in block, but rear oil seal at original/lower location). It's hard to imagine that at least the rope seal couldn't tolerate being off center slightly... but????

You also mentioned that the back of the block is dry. Are you 100% sure that's oil leaking and not gear lube out of a 4-speed trans front seal?

I'm just throwing out some other ideas here....

I also thought about the seal having a different center than the crank and, like you, I figured the rope seal would forgive anything minor. I might wind up pulling this motor again to find out if there's something weird like that going on. I hope not. And it's an auto trans, so I'm sure it's engine oil. Thanks for the thought, though.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: GTX Mike] #1366170
01/09/13 08:20 AM
01/09/13 08:20 AM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline
mopar
Hooligan  Offline
mopar
H

USA
I neglected to mention that the one-piece seal is not shown on the Hughes website. Try calling them, and I'll try remembering if it was them or a different vendor. If they don't sell them, they probably know where to get one.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: Hooligan] #1366171
01/09/13 09:51 AM
01/09/13 09:51 AM
Montreal Quebec
STROKIE Offline
enthusiast
STROKIE  Offline
enthusiast

Montreal Quebec
Quote:

I neglected to mention that the one-piece seal is not shown on the Hughes website. Try calling them, and I'll try remembering if it was them or a different vendor. If they don't sell them, they probably know where to get one.

I contact Hughes to order the one-piece seal and the answer was: The project has been cancelled...

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: dogdays] #1366172
01/09/13 09:57 AM
01/09/13 09:57 AM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

Quote:

And become a billionaire!
R.

No, not really. 440 Source will come out with a cheaper one "just like it" and everybody will use that one.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: Commando1] #1366173
01/09/13 11:08 AM
01/09/13 11:08 AM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

A Banana Republic near you.
Quote:

Quote:

R.

No, not really. 440 Source will come out with a cheaper one "just like it" and everybody will use that one.

GTX , ditch the rope seal AND did you check to make sure the source retainer isn't the problem ? I remember there was an issue with it being offset ???

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: JohnRR] #1366174
01/09/13 12:14 PM
01/09/13 12:14 PM
Out in Left Field, NY
B
bobs66440 Offline
top fuel
bobs66440  Offline
top fuel
B

Out in Left Field, NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

R.

GTX , ditch the rope seal AND did you check to make sure the source retainer isn't the problem ? I remember there was an issue with it being offset ???

They are all offset to prevent them from being installed backwards. If you measure the space in the block where the retainer goes, you will see. There was a guy at some point comparing a 440 Source cap with a factory one and showing how it was offset. But he had them up against each other at 180 degrees, so it looked off.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: roadhazard] #1366175
01/09/13 01:22 PM
01/09/13 01:22 PM
USA
S
SSAAHemiFan Offline
top fuel
SSAAHemiFan  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
Quote:

Quote:

I'd cut 5/10 thou off the retainer with a cap grinder - NOT a belt sander

It is possible the crank is under spec

FWIW - I always use a shaved Original Mopar retainer - with a rope seal - light silicone on sealing surfaces and fill in the sides - no issues

Since you have a smooth seal surface - shave the cap and get a good viton seal - lube the seal heavily for startup.

Did you measure and inspect his block to advise removing material from the seal retainer?
Removing .005" - .010" from the seal retainer has virtually NO effect when using a rope seal.
Removing the same amount for using a rubber seal can very well have a negative effect.

Does one make their housing bores on the rods or mains smaller to decrease bearing clearance?

Find the root cause of the problem, smooth shaft and rope seal, sillycone band-aid, retainer fitment and concentricity with the block and crank bores and parting surface alignment with a rubber seal for starters.

BTW a rod cap grinder is the proper method for removing material from the seal
retainer

The OP stated he has already tried a rope and viton seal with no change - obviously I cannot inspect his block but I can advise him on what works for me and I did so.

He is probably going to find out his aftermarket retainer is sitting to high/poorly machined OR the seal journal is undersized on his aftermarket crank.

You brought up the belt sander not me

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: SSAAHemiFan] #1366176
01/09/13 01:40 PM
01/09/13 01:40 PM
USA
S
SSAAHemiFan Offline
top fuel
SSAAHemiFan  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW - I always use a shaved Original Mopar retainer - with a rope seal - light silicone on sealing surfaces and fill in the sides - no issues

Since you have a smooth seal surface - shave the cap and get a good viton seal - lube the seal heavily for startup.

Did you measure and inspect his block to advise removing material from the seal retainer?
Removing .005" - .010" from the seal retainer has virtually NO effect when using a rope seal.
Removing the same amount for using a rubber seal can very well have a negative effect.

Does one make their housing bores on the rods or mains smaller to decrease bearing clearance?

Find the root cause of the problem, smooth shaft and rope seal, sillycone band-aid, retainer fitment and concentricity with the block and crank bores and parting surface alignment with a rubber seal for starters.

retainer

The OP stated he has already tried a rope and viton seal with no change - obviously I cannot inspect his block but I can advise him on issues I have come across and what has worked for me.

I thought tht is what I did

Again he is probably going to find out his aftermarket retainer is sitting to high/poorly machined OR the seal journal is undersized on his aftermarket crank. I've seen it many times.

You brought up the belt sander not me and yes you do make housing bores smaller to decrease clearance so you lost me on that?

I assumed he would be going back to the viton seal this time around.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: STROKIE] #1366177
01/09/13 02:27 PM
01/09/13 02:27 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline
mopar
Hooligan  Offline
mopar
H

USA
Aw darn! The one-piece seal was probably being produced by BP and Exxon! Hah!Hah!

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: SSAAHemiFan] #1366178
01/09/13 02:52 PM
01/09/13 02:52 PM
S.E.Mich
D
drew72 Offline
enthusiast
drew72  Offline
enthusiast
D

S.E.Mich
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

retainer

The OP stated he has already tried a rope and viton seal with no change - obviously I cannot inspect his block but I can advise him on issues I have come across and what has worked for me.

Again he is probably going to find out his aftermarket retainer is sitting to high/poorly machined OR the seal journal is undersized on his aftermarket crank. I've seen it many times.

You brought up the belt sander not me and yes you do make housing bores smaller to decrease clearance so you lost me on that?

No, actually you make housing bores smaller to INCREASE crush. On a rigid component like a viton seal or a bearing, you change the i.d. of the bearing or seal to decrease clearance.

Last edited by drew72; 01/09/13 02:54 PM.
Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: drew72] #1366179
01/09/13 03:38 PM
01/09/13 03:38 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

retainer

No, actually you make housing bores smaller to INCREASE crush. On a rigid component like a viton seal or a bearing, you change the i.d. of the bearing or seal to decrease clearance.

The housing bore for the seal just like a bearing bore should be round. Removal of material from the seal retainer if not warranted can egg shape the bore and cause seal distortion when the retainer is torqued. Distortion can be in the form of out of round or excessive crush.

Reducing the bore diameter for the seal will not change the I.D. of the seal to be tighter without distortion

Just like rod and main bearing clearance should be adjusted using bearing size and shaft size. Not crushing the bearing on the outside and hoping the inside reduces clearances.

From what has been discussed here on the board there seems to be some deficiencies with some of the aftermarket seal retainers not having enough room between it and #5 main cap. Thoughts are that oil drainage will not be fast enough and can overload the seal.

I have also seen main studs / bolts hang up the seal retainer and not allow it to sit flush on the block.

Undersize seal surface is a possibility along with excessive material removal from line bore / hone process causing an egg shaped and or non centered seal bore

As for the belt sander I wasn't referring to you but what was suggested to him by the manufacturer of them and how they recommended material removal

I can go on about rear main seals, I have professionally for 25 years

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: GTX Mike] #1366180
01/10/13 04:31 PM
01/10/13 04:31 PM
Staten Island, NY
R
RO23dave Offline
enthusiast
RO23dave  Offline
enthusiast
R

Staten Island, NY
This might be a silly response, but nobody has addressed it, are you sure the seal was put into the retainer correctly, meaning with the beveled edge facing towards the back of the block? just my
dave #1355 ss/ea

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: RO23dave] #1366181
01/11/13 11:10 AM
01/11/13 11:10 AM
Midwest
F
fuseable Offline
super stock
fuseable  Offline
super stock
F

Midwest
Is this the way the seal should face?

7542346-Seal001.jpg (209 downloads)
Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: fuseable] #1366182
01/11/13 11:51 AM
01/11/13 11:51 AM
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

Quote:

Is this the way the seal should face?

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: Commando1] #1366183
01/11/13 01:55 PM
01/11/13 01:55 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Thank you Commando1

Yes this is the correct orientation

On another note Lubrication,
Again treat the seal as if it were a bearing. Lubricate with bearing assembly lube, Torco, Red-Line, Clevite Bearing Guard or even STP. Motor oil alone may not be enough as it can take quite a while for oil to migrate to the rear seal. Shaft seals are designed to ride on a film of oil just like a bearing

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: roadhazard] #1366184
01/11/13 02:05 PM
01/11/13 02:05 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline
mopar
Hooligan  Offline
mopar
H

USA
Speaking of bearings...what about those bearings that have the angled grooves cut in them to divert oil away from the rear seal?
I don't even know if they are available anymore or if they even helped prevent leakage.

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: Hooligan] #1366185
01/11/13 03:07 PM
01/11/13 03:07 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I bought the Hughes billet retainer and seal for my last eng and it has not leaked a drop which actualy surprised me as most seem to show small seapage after time even when they dont leak. But I stagger the lip seal. I move the seal in the block and cap so about 1/4" sticks up out of the retainer and block as that way the seal ends dont meet where the retainer and block meet. Just curious if you do that ? Ron

Re: Third rear seal leaking - very frustrated!!! [Re: Hooligan] #1366186
01/11/13 03:08 PM
01/11/13 03:08 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Speaking of bearings...what about those bearings that have the angled grooves cut in them to divert oil away from the rear seal?
I don't even know if they are available anymore or if they even helped prevent leakage.

From what I've heard they are no longer available.
As stated earlier the seal is designed to ride on a film of oil for lubrication. If the seal does not have a concentric location of the lip to shaft or the parting halves are not properly aligned you will have problems more often than not.

Large main bearing oil clearances, high oil pressure and restricted oil drain back can overload the seal lip causing a leak path.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3