BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

Brad,

You may be surprised, .. the "grump" is a fairly smart guy.
I don't know if he uses all the flow ratios and coef stuff, ..
my cuz works there, I'll have to ask.

But yea, things have changed. In the 80's I was offered a job at a few NASCAR teams, .. now if you don't have a degree in engineering they won't talk to you, . no matter what you've done in the past.

Curtis

From everything I've heard & read about/from him, I'd say Da Grump's an extremely intelligent individual w/ an exceptional ability to think "out of the box". I'm sure he was back in the '60s & '70s, only things were a lot simpler in terms of what people knew and had to work with at that time.

BTW, what sort of flow bench do you have? You're less than an hour's drive south of me (I'm in Sterling) and would be interested in doing some comparisons between what I've seen on my SF-110 vs. a "higher horsepower" bench to see how much variation there is between results converted from 8"-15" H2O vs. results from a consistent 28".

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: BradH] #13475
11/17/04 07:36 PM
11/17/04 07:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brad,

We are almost neighbors, . I'm in Lorton right now, .. but just sold my house and am moving down to Henrico Ashland area in a few months. Close to Richmond.

Selling the $600K house for a $190K house on 2 acres where I can build a new 40x60 shop. $1800 a month for 1000 sq. ft shop space is just stupid around the DC area, .. so I'm outa here.

I have two flow benches, .. I have a SF110 that I use for small stuff, 4 cylinder road race heads, quick jobs, etc. I also have a custom that flows 900 cfm at 36" h2o for the pro stuff. The big bench is up in Maryland since I don't have room here right now .. moving shop.

Jim Justice at Justice race engines in Frederick has a FlowData that will hit 800 cfm at 28", .. but I don't know
if he has run it lately.

The difference between the two is often less then a cfm if I use the same bore adaptor and intake radius.

The MOST important thing with a sf-110 is all the corrections. You HAVE to do temp & barometric pressure corrections to get accurate cfm numbers.

I use the Performance trends Port flow analyzer software, .. have a flowcom on the bench that feeds info right into the computer, .. and it's dead on. The other advantage to the Port flow software, .. and more important then flow numbers is it does all the flow coefficient math too.

I just had a set of small block chevy 12º comp heads that flowed a peak of 388 cfm @28" I flowed them on the 110 at 7", .. then checked it on the other bench, .. corrected numbers within 1-2 cfm.

You have to remember a flow bench is a test tool, .. you test always with the same machine, .. and can't really compare to other machines. ( although the magazines have blown this CFM flow thing way out of proportion. )

What I would be more concerned about is turbulence in the port. Like a short turn can flow real nice and sound sweet at a 7" vacuum, .. but run it 32" and it turns into a category 5 twister.

Curtis

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same #13476
11/17/04 08:00 PM
11/17/04 08:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just had a thought, .. yea , yea I know, .. it's rare.

While talking about "stage" porting, etc, .. THE MOST important part of this level of modification has not been talked about, ..
the valve job. With limited port work the valve job is the larger portion of what you should be paying for at this stage, ..
so porter dudes, .. what are you doing for valve jobs?

Just the standard 3 or 4 angles, .. custom cutter sets, .. ?????

This is by far the most neglected area. I get these CnC heads in from name companies, .. AFR, Dart, etc, .. don't want to
pick on the CnC porting cause it's often fairly good, .. but the valve jobs often SUCK! A few hours on the seat machine, touch up with a grinder and the heads pick up a bunch, .. other experience ??

Curtis

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same #13477
11/17/04 08:20 PM
11/17/04 08:20 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline OP
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline OP
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Quote:

The MOST important thing with a sf-110 is all the corrections. You HAVE to do temp & barometric pressure corrections to get accurate cfm numbers.

barometric corrections on an SF-110???
no mention of that in my owners manual....and based on the operating prinicple of the machine, i dont know why the barometric pressure would have any affect on the readings.

as for the valve job deal.....i'm pretty "bread and butter" in that dept, and i re-do the valve seats more to make sure they are concentric than for any big gains in flow.
i usually do a std 3 angle on the intakes, along with a bowl cut, which gets blended into the bowl.
the exhaust usually gets a two angle/radiused bottom cut.....pretty much like what comes on most aftermerket heads these days.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: fast68plymouth] #13478
11/17/04 09:59 PM
11/17/04 09:59 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
wow, this porting stuff really gets pretty intense, really making me rethink my "home" ported "j" heads and wheather they are worth a crap or not, now I have another reason to pull the motor this winter.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: dartman366] #13479
11/17/04 11:40 PM
11/17/04 11:40 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
I Live Here
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
hey you think thats bad....the 906's on my 383 didn't even get any porting!!!

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: fast68plymouth] #13480
11/17/04 11:55 PM
11/17/04 11:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

barometric corrections on an SF-110???
no mention of that in my owners manual...

as for the valve job deal.....i'm pretty "bread and butter" in that dept, and i re-do the valve seats more to make sure they are concentric than for any big gains in flow.
i usually do a std 3 angle on the intakes, along with a bowl cut, which gets blended into the bowl.
the exhaust usually gets a two angle/radiused bottom cut.....pretty much like what comes on most aftermerket heads these days.

Dwayne,

Yea on the Barometric thing, .. keep an eye on it and track it, ..
try a test with your calibration plate on a 28" day VS a 30" day, .. it makes a difference, well does on my bench. Keep in mind the SF-110 isn't the same design as say the SF-600. The SF-600 nun or this stuff matters much.

You are right in that THE most important correction on the SF-110 is temp for accurate CFM numbers.

Valve jobs, .. The most important thing a head porter needs to work on, .. even before grinding. Performance valve jobs on the intake need at least 4 angles. top, seat, bottom and an angle below the bottom that does or doesn't get blended. Dwayne, your 3 angle with a bowl cut sounds similar to what I do, .. 4 angles if you count the bowl cut.

Several things can be done with the angles on the VJ. Top and bottom angles play a huge roll in the low lift flow curve and plays a roll in the entire flow curve. Every head and every level of porting needs something different.

Think about this, the largest restriction to flow is the curtain area at the valve opening, .. and the efficiency the cylinder sees at that opening has a huge effect on power. By making the, say bottom 60º angle wider you can fatten up the low lift flow, .. or make it very narrow, .. but make your 70º wide and don't blend it into the bowl, .. you can make a fat low lift flow but also make flow over .400" take off.

Same goes for the exhaust, .. top angle, seat and a radius, .. but different radius' will change the flow curve. Low lift flow, big / round radius, .. high lift flow, wider top cut & smaller radius .. ..

Some of the aftermarket heads need a 50 or 52 or 55º seat, .. anyone doing that?

You'll notice if you track the curtain area flow coefficients that the more you open the valve the less efficient the flow is, .. this is where custom seat angles come into play.

Curtis

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: dartman366] #13481
11/18/04 12:04 AM
11/18/04 12:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

wow, this porting stuff really gets pretty intense, really making me rethink my "home" ported "j" heads and weather they are worth a crap or not, now I have another reason to pull the motor this winter.

Dartman, .. if they work for you that's all that matters, .. if not, there seem to be a TON of competent porters who work for a reasonable rate right here on Moparts. ( Somebody to talk to about porting, .. the wife just doesn't understand, .. and my Mom thinks I'm nuts )

One that comes to mind, .. were is RyanJ ??? is he still hangin around here?

Curtis

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: fast68plymouth] #13482
11/18/04 12:07 AM
11/18/04 12:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

hey you think thats bad....the 906's on my 383 didn't even get any porting!!!

yea, funny how as porters, the LAST thing that gets ported is our own race cars, ..

Curtis

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same #13483
11/18/04 12:22 AM
11/18/04 12:22 AM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
I Live Here
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
if i let the bench run long enough for the temps to stabilize, my bench reads 80% exactly with the calibration plate......always(the correction factor for my bench is 1.035).
thats what its read every time ive checked it in the
last 11 years.
winter, summer, humid, dry ..... 80%.
i rarely even bother checking it anymore.

what i did discover however was it matters which way the plate is oriented on the bench.

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: fast68plymouth] #13484
11/18/04 11:23 AM
11/18/04 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

fast68, ..

interesting, .. so if you do the math with temp corrections to get a CFM number it always comes out the same?
My bench, .. like with themp corrections, . if the intake and discharge temps are different, .. when I do the corrections I get the same CFM, .. and the inclined always reads the same, ..
but if I don't do the temp correction the CFM number is wrong, ..

I tried the same thing with a Baro correction and it had an effect, .. VERY minor but it did seem to have an affect.

Could it be I'm being too anal????

I'm not worried about the final CFM number as much as I'm worried about the curtain area coefficiants.

Curtis

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same #13485
11/18/04 08:32 PM
11/18/04 08:32 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
I Live Here
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Curtis,
i just do it the way the owners manual says.
wait for about a 25deg spread between thermometers....take a reading....determine the correction factor.
they dont say to use the temp correction for determining the bench correction factor, so i never have.

since the reading has always been 80%, i rarely check the bench anymore.
i mostly check the calibration if ive tested a head and the numbers seem off from what i was expecting.
then i'll stick the orifice plate on to verify the bench isnt doing something "strange".
it's never been a problem with the bench.....it always checks at 80%.

to my way of thinking....the orifice plate just becomes the test piece.....and on my bench anyway, the repeatability for that particular test piece has always been right on the money.
regardless of whether you should use a temp correction for testing the orifice plate or not, the fact is the bench always shows it as 80% flow.
i'm satisfied with that kind of repeatability.

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same #13486
11/18/04 09:09 PM
11/18/04 09:09 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
I guess the reason that I am taking an interest in this post is that there is a local builder that has a superflow 110 (i think) and I would like to get him to do some work for me, but I never knew a fair labor rate and kinda would like to know what improvement or detrement that I made, that being said,I have no idea what stock "J" heads flow, and I know there is no black and white answer to that, just an average, and I have no idea what would be a good flow number, the only other thing that has been done to these are the addition of 2.050 manley nail head chevy valves, and a 4 angle valve job, I guess the thing that I need to do is get some facts together and learn about a flow bench so we can sit down and talk this out and I wont get confused when he lays out some figures and technical jargon, and this forum seems to help me do that,,, and yes, from what I have heard ryanj is the man on the small block stuff, so his input would be well recieved, as well as yours and dwayne's,, thanks guys this is a good post.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: dartman366] #13487
11/18/04 09:22 PM
11/18/04 09:22 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
I Live Here
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
dartman, the fact is....the only numbers you really need to be concerned with from the flow bench are the corrected flow numbers.

for a mildly ported J head with SBC type valves, tested on a 4" bore adapter....if you're in the 250+ cfm range(corrected flow @ 28"), you're doing pretty well.

most SB Mopar "home port" type work ive tested is usually in the 220's and 230's, although mid-240's is really pretty easy to attain, and doesnt really require much material removal....if you take it out of the right places.

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: fast68plymouth] #13488
11/18/04 09:37 PM
11/18/04 09:37 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
thanks dwayne, that gives me a ballpark area as to what I need to talk to him about, from what I have heard from several other people that he has done work for, he is very good at what he does and very concious about his work,, from what conversation I have had with him, and what I have read from your posts, you two would get along quite well.

1284758-race car0001.jpg (95 downloads)

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: dartman366] #13489
11/18/04 09:55 PM
11/18/04 09:55 PM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
dwayne, what size bench do you have? just curious.. i have a superflow 600, and im looking to get a 1020 soon. i go along with dwayne on the porting small block stuff, ive done some nhra stocker small block stuff and think they are around 190/150 with a 1.88 and 1.60. ive done s/s stuff that flows 260, 240 at .400 lift that goes fast. with those things, as with alot of things, the low lift numbers mean alot.

jeff

www.moderncylinderhead.com WANTED,, Something for Nothing, MUST be better than NEW condition,, YOU pay shipping...
Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: fast68plymouth] #13490
11/18/04 10:19 PM
11/18/04 10:19 PM
B
BradH Offline
BradH  Offline
B

I was never aware of any barmetric correction associated w/ the SF-110, either, although I know of certain benches (e.g. FlowData) that require it. I've never seen any noticeable variations when running a calibration check against the supplied plate, either.

Unlike Dwayne's, my calibration tests don't seem to care which way the plate is oriented. However, I have seen a small (but consistent) difference in calibration factors between tests run at 10" and 8"; I check for both, since those are the most common test pressures I use, and adjust the results accordingly.

As far as factoring in the intake / exhaust temp differential into the final calculation, I've done that... but really haven't seen much added value in taking that extra step. Since the consistency w/ the inclined manometer readings has always been good when retesting known ports, the only thing that the temp differential adjustments seemed to do was lower the final intake #s a few cfm and raise the final exhaust #s a few cfm. I really didn't see any improvement in test-to-test consistency with them...

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: FastOne] #13491
11/18/04 10:23 PM
11/18/04 10:23 PM
Falconer, NY
KatFysh Offline
master
KatFysh  Offline
master

Falconer, NY
"I guess it's a matter of the head porter to be "up front" with the customer & having an informed conversation with the fellow to see what he really needs"

Exactly.

I'd like to think that I had a little to do with this post. Dwayne and I had quite a talk and MAN, did he ever learn me. This whole post is very "enlighteneing" to the guy {like myself} that doesn't really know much about head flow and porting and such. I, too, appreciate the unbiased comparisons between different porters. It's really helpful to us all... Here's to you guys..

You'll, hopefully, be hearing from me soon,Dwayne...

When you decide to quit, THAT is the moment when you would've succeeded..
Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: KatFysh] #13492
11/18/04 10:34 PM
11/18/04 10:34 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
blowfish, my feelings exactly, this has been one of the better forum's that has taken place on this board for some time, very enlightening informative and understandable, cheer's and 's

Re: "Stage II" porting....its not all the same [Re: moderncylinder] #13493
11/18/04 11:31 PM
11/18/04 11:31 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
I Live Here
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Jeff,
just a lowly SF-110 here.
the repeatability is excellent, but i dont think it provides a very realistic comparison between heads with vastly different port cross sections, especially the bigger heads.
the lower test pressure, and with that, lower velocity, just isnt able to saturate the bigger heads, so gains that might be made from increases in cross section either dont show up....or hardly show at all.

it seems as though on heads that flow 300ish or less (@ 28") the numbers parallel the numbers from a SF600 pretty closely, but on something like a Dart 360 BBC head or a B1, the numbers just seem to be too low.

yes.....i know i could stand to have a bigger bench.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5