Littleton, NC
K
KingMopar Offline OP
top fuel
KingMopar  Offline OP
top fuel
K

Littleton, NC
Figure you can learn off my Fubar....and learned a lesson in the process. I have a fairly good bodyman as a resouce...but trying to do as much as I can by myself. I had repainted the interior sides of my A body doors with SS urethane and was gonna install the tracks, glass, basically put the doors back together before hanging. My "ole painter" resource had mentioned long ago, that when installing things like windshield chrome, trim items--or putting parts back together around freshly painted objects(ya have to let it dry well though!).....is always lay down some masking around your working area to keep from scratching anything up, doing the reinstall. Following his lead, from long ago.....I did so and had a mishap, bascially making a small scratch in my paint--because the part went through 2 layers of masking tape(metal part of side glass)--and to be honest, I was gentle as if in brain surgery. Well....he then added to his tip,(he's old, he forgets-LOL) which cost me a small scratch that could have been avoided.

When trying to install windshield chrome, or related parts around painted surfaces......do the masking first, and low tack is the best. Do 1-2 layers of that around the area, and the further you go away from the "working area"..the more secure you are basically. Then on top of the masking tape....lay down some duct tape(or as Nascar boys say: 200mph tape).....as this tape is Far more durable to "bumps" than the masking will be, even against any sharp objects--but you can't let the stuff touch paint directly, especially fresh paint. That's the reason for the masking, to be a barrier between the duck and the paint. Wish he had told me this earlier!!! Anywho....I messed up, but U don't have to! 2 rolls of tape are far less expensive than sanding, remasking reshooting--especially if you do the precautions beforehand properly!

Have a nice day ---mine wasn't so great

Re: A free tip.....learn from my mistake [Re: KingMopar] #13366
10/08/04 02:10 AM
10/08/04 02:10 AM
Arlington, Texas
earlybee Offline
master
earlybee  Offline
master

Arlington, Texas
your not alone, my buddy was in a hurry and did not use low tack tape and guess what happened!