Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Performance Only] #1323822
10/26/12 02:01 PM
10/26/12 02:01 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Well, here is an update...or news flash if you will. I just talked to Dan at Performance Only for easily two hours! OMG! Now I know why he is so highly recommended and respected by everyone!
There is so many great things that I want to say about him, from just our conversation! I am thoroughly impressed and excited! Dan is without a doubt, the correct choice for my hemi build! His knowledge on hemi engines is immense, and he took the time to cover every aspect of the build, and he mention things that no one else has! I can be confident that the outcome will be nothing but spectacular!!!! (excitement personified!!!) The price estimate is great and falls into my budget nicely! This will take me in a new direct from my initial plans of doing some of the assembly myself, but taking on a hemi build with no experience is foolish! I am going to get through the holiday season first (ugh!) ...then go over a list of parts to be delivered for the project. Amazingly, Dan offered to meet me half way at Yeehaw Junction to take the whole puzzle of hemi engine parts from me, including the 6-71 blower! I am also welcome to come see his shop and take home some sample steel shavings off the floor if I can find some! (not entirely Dan's words!) Thank you to everyone who has helped me make this decision, and I will post more updates in the future...hopefully with pictures of a fire-breathing blown hemi on Dan's dyno!

YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone, Excited Steve

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Hooligan] #1323823
10/26/12 03:07 PM
10/26/12 03:07 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

I like Elvis, and no disrespect to the "King" when I say..."I want my hemi to rock-n-roll really hard, so maybe Ozzy Osborne would be a good choice!" Anyone have a similar taste?! Besides...I have been to Graceland, and judging by all the cars Elvis has in his driveway, I'd say that he specializes in Cadillacs, not Mopars!

Sorry, you missed the inside joke I guess. Elvis was another FL engine guy who used to be on the board.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: slantzilla] #1323824
10/26/12 06:45 PM
10/26/12 06:45 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Sorry here too! I didn't know of that Elvis. (sigh)

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Hooligan] #1323825
10/26/12 08:15 PM
10/26/12 08:15 PM
Chicago Blackhawks
H
hemicar1971 Offline
master
hemicar1971  Offline
master
H

Chicago Blackhawks
Using Tim Banning of FHO is never a bad thing, but he himself will say there are other good builders of the hemi motors. I do not think you want to ship all your stuff so far away but if you did you would get a great hemi back from FHO. If I read you correctly you are using a blower on your motor. Tim at one time ran a 500 CI Hemi with a 14-71 with carbs on top and that was an awesome ride he had. I think everyone within 500 miles of tim uses FHO to build their motors. I have used FHO since about 1982 for something on every hemi I have had accept my learning experience with the Funny Car Alky guy that screwed me over. This other guy Dan seems like a good choice also. Take a drive over to his shop and drop the hemi stuff off and have him come back after the build to your house when you want to fire the engine up in your car. I would believe that Dan might want to run the motor on the dyno before he gives it back to you. That is what Tim at FHO does.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY
Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: hemicar1971] #1323826
10/26/12 09:47 PM
10/26/12 09:47 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Tim Banning is a great guy! I bought some of my hemi parts from him, and he treated me right! I wouldn't a have problem trusting him for the build, but I would not be thrilled with shipping all my stuff to Canada, or the added the cost of the shipping, and possible damage to my parts with my lousy luck. For this project, I want to spend the money right here in the U.S.A. I had a great talk with Dan today, and Dan is definitely the man for me! He is going to run my engine on the dyno, not so much for the purpose of determining the horse power, as to set up the blower drive ratio...the carburetor calibrations...cylinder pressure testing...break in the cam...test for leaks and lean conditions, and anything else that is slipping my mind right now. He made me realize that the investment that I have so far is too high to risk not letting a professional like him handle every aspect of the build. I'll save time and money, and headaches in the long run for sure!

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: VCODE] #1323827
10/26/12 11:24 PM
10/26/12 11:24 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do your home work before you decide who is going to be handed your hard earned cash. Even if you do your home work and everything looks right with the person you choose it does not mean a good job will be done. My first motor, I picked an Alky funny car guy to do then build. Big mistake he said he did this in the build and I asked him to do other things but after hurting the motor I found out some things were not done. After taking it back so he could see the problems, I got nothing but it was my fault, that I abused the motor. The next motor I built and it is still together. Now after building a Hemi motor and looking over all the machine work others did for me and doing all the assembly myself, I have learnt just how much work it is to build a Hemi. The next motor that is coming up to be built I am choosing someone that has experience and loves to do this stuff and has a great name building hemis. Luckily I have a guy really close to me with a super reputation and has done Hemi Head work for be before. Good luck on your build and enjoy the beasty when it is put back together.

Darn and I thought you were talking about me.

MLR426

Yes, make sure who you send your Hemi to!!!!
I drove 14 hours from N.Y to (MLR426) Martin's in Oden IL
The best thing I did and would do it again.
Bob

Thanks Bob, for the nice comments. I take pride in what I build.

MLR426

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: ] #1323828
10/26/12 11:34 PM
10/26/12 11:34 PM
Joplin, MO USA
Robbins Offline
master
Robbins  Offline
master

Joplin, MO USA
I've wondered about him also for my early Hemi build. These other guys like Dan from Performance only....do you do early Hemi's?

This reminds me of the that guy in Columbia, MO. I won't use him again.

Last edited by Robbins; 10/27/12 10:23 AM.

Moparlee
Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Robbins] #1323829
10/27/12 12:13 AM
10/27/12 12:13 AM
STL ,MO
H
Handygun Offline
enthusiast
Handygun  Offline
enthusiast
H

STL ,MO
Quote:

I've wondered about him also for my early Hemi build. These other guys like Dad from Performance only....do you do early Hemi's?

Phase II machine in St Louis did an excellent job on my 392.

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Hooligan] #1323830
10/27/12 12:04 PM
10/27/12 12:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Tim Banning is a great guy! I bought some of my hemi parts from him, and he treated me right! I wouldn't a have problem trusting him for the build, but I would not be thrilled with shipping all my stuff to Canada, or the added the cost of the shipping, and possible damage to my parts with my lousy luck. For this project, I want to spend the money right here in the U.S.A. I had a great talk with Dan today, and Dan is definitely the man for me! He is going to run my engine on the dyno, not so much for the purpose of determining the horse power, as to set up the blower drive ratio...the carburetor calibrations...cylinder pressure testing...break in the cam...test for leaks and lean conditions, and anything else that is slipping my mind right now. He made me realize that the investment that I have so far is too high to risk not letting a professional like him handle every aspect of the build. I'll save time and money, and headaches in the long run for sure!

I believe you made a good choice. I bought my Stage V heads from Tim Banning but his machining and assembly costs were just to much for my budget. The rest of the parts for my Hemi are coming from all over the States so it's easier just to keep them down there for the process Dan will put them through. I will have between 30-40 thousand in the engine and the fact that I live in the far west cost of Canada I really needed to have someone with a trust worthy reputation that was willing to work with my snail pace schedule and so Dan became that man.

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: ] #1323831
10/27/12 01:34 PM
10/27/12 01:34 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Yeah...it should be very easy to sleep at night with Dan on the job! I threw out all my engine receipts when they reached the total of 20 grand! Beyond that amount, I don't want to know!

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Handygun] #1323832
10/27/12 01:41 PM
10/27/12 01:41 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Hey Handygun...I sent a PM to Dan about checking out your post, but maybe you should PM him or call. His phone number is on an earlier post from him. I can imagine that he probably can rebuild a Gen 1 hemi in his sleep! He is great to talk to...ego-free!
You'll see!

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Robbins] #1323833
10/27/12 02:29 PM
10/27/12 02:29 PM
SoCal
J
jake4cars Offline
top fuel
jake4cars  Offline
top fuel
J

SoCal
Quote:

I've wondered about him also for my early Hemi build. These other guys like Dan from Performance only....do you do early Hemi's?

Is Hot Heads still in business, I think he is located in South Carolina, they specialize in early Hemi's

Joey

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: Hooligan] #1323834
10/27/12 07:53 PM
10/27/12 07:53 PM
Chicago Blackhawks
H
hemicar1971 Offline
master
hemicar1971  Offline
master
H

Chicago Blackhawks
Sash7 looks like you have made your choice. The pressure is off now. The Dyno is used for more than getting the biggest numbers you can. It is a great tool to set the motor up and you dont wanting it running lean when you spend a lot of cash. Dan seems like he is a good hemi guy.

Tim Banning will assemble your motor, but Tim is great at the Hemi Head porting and fine tuning of the Heads with his CNC and his Hand finishing. I dont think you are planing much track time on the car, once in a while at the drag strip, so to pump maximum HP out of your combination is not that important, you want your motor to run nicely and last.

Good Luck with your build.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY
Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: jake4cars] #1323835
10/27/12 11:04 PM
10/27/12 11:04 PM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Quote:

Quote:

Is Hot Heads still in business, I think he is located in South Carolina, they specialize in early Hemi's

Joey

Me and my partner just finished a 6-71 blown 354 hemi for a straight axle 40 Plymouth Coupe Gasser. It was a beast at 625 hp and close to 600 torque, those small hemi's make big power with a blower. It was getting close to 12 pounds of boost when we shut it down. The customer took a phone video of the dyno pull and I'm trying to get him to send it so I can post it up here. What an animal. Hot Heads is the best source and they are good people.

MLR426

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: MLR426] #1323836
10/28/12 02:33 AM
10/28/12 02:33 AM
Oregon
KillerCuda Offline
enthusiast
KillerCuda  Offline
enthusiast

Oregon
i recently had a 472 hemi engine built by eddie haines. it had some issues, had to go back, and he rectified them, but after installing it, my rear main leaked like a sieve. he has cut off all communication with me, saying "the agreement between buyer and seller has been met, i never implied there was any warranty". lame in my opinion, for the amount of money i spent there....

so, two engine pulls later on a freshly restored car to solve issues that had NOTHING to do with me, and plenty of my own money/labor going into shipping/gaskets/seals, etc, i had to do the work myself to repair the rear main leak. it's a nice engine, but he sucks in the customer service department.....

my two cents, from a paying customer of his. live and learn i guess........

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: KillerCuda] #1323837
10/28/12 09:21 AM
10/28/12 09:21 AM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Sash7, you made a great choice to go with Performance Only. I made the drive down to Dan's shop to drop off my engine parts, and it took me exactly 4 hours.

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: hemicar1971] #1323838
10/28/12 12:24 PM
10/28/12 12:24 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
That's true. I'm not too concerned about the HP figures. I did some drag racing when I was young. I kept it off the guard rail, and I had plenty of insane street races! Cars were cheap back then. This car cost more than my house, so I keep telling myself that I will be content to let this car just be a pampered show-puppy...taking a few rocket blasts on the street, when Johnny Law is dining at the donut shop! Hah!

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: MLR426] #1323839
10/28/12 12:29 PM
10/28/12 12:29 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
That sounds cool!!! My car will be hoppin' along on a straight axle too! I love gassers! I'll bet yours is a hand full when it takes off! I wanted to post some pics, but I have some technical difficulties at the moment.
Thanx, Steve

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: KillerCuda] #1323840
10/28/12 12:37 PM
10/28/12 12:37 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Finally! There it is! The Hemi Haines experience that I have been searching for! I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience there, but you have contributed to my happiness that I have chosen Dan for my project! I'm glad that I posted the question on Moparts, and you guys came through for me again! THANKS GUYS!!!

Re: Eddie "HEMI" Haines...good or bad Hemi builder??? [Re: DusterDave] #1323841
10/28/12 12:45 PM
10/28/12 12:45 PM
USA
H
Hooligan Offline OP
mopar
Hooligan  Offline OP
mopar
H

USA
Hi Dave, The drive should feel shorter knowing that I am heading to the RIGHT place! Your Jeep is looking great! Hmmm...you built two projects before I could build one! You must have one of those sleep number beds, so your rested enough to let the sparks fly in the garage for hours and hours!
Thanks for the inspiration man!!!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4