09/03/12 10:17 PM
09/03/12 10:17 PM
Connecticut
Ron_M Offline OP
top fuel
Ron_M  Offline OP
top fuel

Connecticut
I have a MP P3690426 Electronic Conversion kit on a Magnum 380. I often times have trouble starting the car with intermittent power at the coil. This leads me to believe the pick-up coil is shot because after a few tries (and several expletives) the car will fire. Sooo I see MP offers P4007985 pick-up coil and lead assembly, is this correct for my distibutor? I also see Mancini offers their SMP-LX102. Is this the better choice (if the MP part is even available)?
Thanks in advance.

Common sense is a flower that does not grow in everybody's garden
Re: Distibutor Pick Up Coil Question (MP) [Re: Ron_M] #1296513
09/03/12 11:14 PM
09/03/12 11:14 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
The magnetic pickups are pretty reliable, they will usualy work or not work, unless there is a wire that s almost broken in half except for one or two strands It wouldn't suprise me that your problem is in the ignition wiring or the ignition switch, not the mag. pickup in the distributor You can always check the pickup with a Ohm meter, use the lowest scale you can select and test between the black and the other color(there has been more than one positive color of wire in the pickups over the years, the black is the negative side of the pick up)Disconnect the lead to it and use the Ohm meter leads hook one side to each of the pickup connectors , wiggle the pickup wires around while maintaning a good connection to the test leads, if it goes open, infinite Ohm reading, instead of 200 to 500 ohms thats your problem If not, look elsewhere

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Distibutor Pick Up Coil Question (MP) [Re: Ron_M] #1296514
09/04/12 12:31 AM
09/04/12 12:31 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I often times have trouble starting the car with intermittent power at the coil.

What's telling you the coil ain't recieving steady voltage in ign2 (crank)? I would pull the yellow "ign" wire off of the starter relay to disable the starter and have a helper hold the key to "start" and you under the hood, seperate the 2 wire dist pickup connector & drag/tap the male end of the eng half of the connector to the intake (ground) & see if that makes the coil to dist (dist end) of the secondary wire held 1/4" from ground produce steady sparks. If good that eliminates all except the pickup & tho a pickup can test good when cold then act up when hot this is happening cold so might be easy to pin down. The gap is good right?

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth