07/24/12 12:15 AM
07/24/12 12:15 AM
Indiana
MonGoo$e Offline OP
master
MonGoo$e  Offline OP
master

Indiana
Wondering if you all could give me some pointers on wiring a relay into my headlights on my '96 Dakota. I've pretty much done without driving at night for the past 4 months, hoping I'd get money to have them fixed but it's not happening, I've done some wiring but would like to just fix it and be done.

After 10-15 minutes they may or may not begin flicking, either they'll stay get dicey again or just go out all together, I figure it's overheating, New switch and Multi-function. also one of the connectors on the headlight switch pigtail was melted.

I'm reading of guys taking a 30 amp, hooking it to the melted connector and running it to battery. Thats all I have picked up on and wondering if anyone could detail it some for me. I'd appreciate it!

My YouTube Channel, "Hoosier Garage"
https://www.youtube.com/HoosierGarage
Re: Wiring relay into '96 Dakota to fix headlights? [Re: MonGoo$e] #1273009
07/24/12 01:42 AM
07/24/12 01:42 AM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
If they're just dim, that's one thing - a relay might improve things. With what you're describing, it's possible there's some sort of small short that's causing the overheat of the switch, if in fact that's what's happening. If so, a relay probably won't fix the problem.

You might try disconnecting the headlights, pulling the headlight fuse, and touching a test light between the two fuse terminals to see if it lights. If so, you've got a short to ground somewhere. If not, you might still have a short, just not a big enough one to light the test light. If that's the case, try touching a volt-ohm-meter across the fuse terminals in amperage/current mode at the largest current setting possible to see if there's a current draw.

If so, there's a possible short somewhere you might have to track down.

That's as far as my thinking goes...

Re: Wiring relay into '96 Dakota to fix headlights? [Re: MoparMarq] #1273010
07/24/12 06:25 AM
07/24/12 06:25 AM
Indiana
MonGoo$e Offline OP
master
MonGoo$e  Offline OP
master

Indiana
I just wanted to bypass the factory wire really.

My YouTube Channel, "Hoosier Garage"
https://www.youtube.com/HoosierGarage