Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
Quote:

Quote:

I've had my denso on my big block for over 6 years. it's a 130amp out of an 02 ram van. bolted to stock big block brackets and I added a 4g wire from alt to pos stud on starter relay. I also cleaned the bulkhead connector real good and bypassed the amp gauge. best money I have ever spent on the car.

you can get cheap denso's on ebay all day long

OK.

So you ran a new wire from the alt to the starter relay.

Did you leave the original wire hooked up as original? Or does it have to be removed for this upgrade to be effective?

And does anyone know if the Denso, or later chrysler alternator will work with my new , March brackets on my 440?

thanks
codfish

i left all other stock wiring in place. I did have to add another wire for the field hookups. I went from single field reg to dual field.

Re: The great alternator question... [Re: AndyF] #125420
09/27/08 08:44 PM
09/27/08 08:44 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Quote:

I developed the Denso swap to solve those problems. The stock Mopar alternators are very lazy at low speeds. The Denso alternator solves all the problems and it bolts on with very easy wiring mods. I switched my car over a long time ago and would never go back to a Mopar alternator.

Andy, Do you have any brackets to low mount the alternator to clear an electric water pump?
I have a Denso 130 Amp external reg alternator from a newer truck, and I am going to run electric water pump, electric fuel pump, and cooling fans. Wiring is not a problem, put my EE degree to work, just looking for brackets so I don't have to fab them myself?

Re: The great alternator question... [Re: codfish] #125421
09/28/08 08:43 AM
09/28/08 08:43 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Quote:

I've had my denso on my big block for over 6 years. it's a 130amp out of an 02 ram van. bolted to stock big block brackets and I added a 4g wire from alt to pos stud on starter relay. I also cleaned the bulkhead connector real good and bypassed the amp gauge. best money I have ever spent on the car.

you can get cheap denso's on ebay all day long

OK.

So you ran a new wire from the alt to the starter relay.

Did you leave the original wire hooked up as original? Or does it have to be removed for this upgrade to be effective?

And does anyone know if the Denso, or later chrysler alternator will work with my new , March brackets on my 440?

thanks
codfish

When you run a wire from the alternator to starter relay OE wiring needs to stay in place to feed power to the switches ect. in the pass compartment. The later model higher output OE "square back" alternators will fit older model brackets. The Big Denso can fit with stock brackets but its real close to or hits the head unless you get the new brackets designed by Andy F (Mancini sells them). I believe the small Denso needs different brackets designed by Andy F (Mancini).

It doesn't sound like your application needs a jumbo alternator - A late model high output "squareback" ('78 Diplomat parts store replacement rated 78 amps), a Powermaster squareback (75-80 amps) or the small Denso would fill the bill. The Denso would have the best low RPM performance and may be more durable. It also costs more and requires bracket modifications.

Page 2 of 2 1 2