383man Offline OP
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I picked up a used return reg from a member on here. I am using a stock fuel tank so I have to figure out a setup to go with the return line reg as I want to stay with my stock fuel tank. Ron

I assume you have a 3/8 line in the sending unit..
you can solder a return on it

Thats what I did when I was running a stock tank. There should be enough room in the bung to drill and solder in a 3/8" return line. Running a return fuel line isn't going to help you with your fuel / heat issues though - especially if you are returning from a regulator that is mounted on the fender well. Fuel isn't cookin in that area.

Thats just what I was thinking. I could remove the sending unit and drill it for a return line.

A few members on here have said the return line helped them with the same problem. I figure it has to help some. Sure cant hurt thats for sure. Ron

Re: So far no more fuel problems. [Re: 383man] #1238767
05/25/12 10:49 AM
05/25/12 10:49 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Thats just what I was thinking. I could remove the sending unit and drill it for a return line.

A few members on here have said the return line helped them with the same problem. I figure it has to help some. Sure cant hurt thats for sure. Ron

The closer the reg is to the carb the better(less
heated fuel waiting to go into the carb)... the
returning fuel doesnt get heated up as much but it
does take some heat back to the tank but you have a
bigger mass to help cool it
EDIT
If you put the reg AFTER the carb it has more fuel
flowing to keep it cooler yet

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 05/25/12 10:52 AM.
Re: So far no more fuel problems. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1238768
05/25/12 12:01 PM
05/25/12 12:01 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

The closer the reg is to the carb the better(less
heated fuel waiting to go into the carb)... the
returning fuel doesnt get heated up as much but it
does take some heat back to the tank but you have a
bigger mass to help cool it
EDIT
If you put the reg AFTER the carb it has more fuel
flowing to keep it cooler yet

Re: So far no more fuel problems. [Re: 383man] #1238769
05/25/12 12:45 PM
05/25/12 12:45 PM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
Quote:

I picked up a used return reg from a member on here. I am using a stock fuel tank so I have to figure out a setup to go with the return line reg as I want to stay with my stock fuel tank. Ron

i soldered a piece of 1/4" tubing in my stock sender for a return. you can solder something in or use a bulkhead fitting. come up with some kind of "jet" or regulating orifice. don't use a 1/4" line without some restriction. restriction size may depend on pump capacity or volume requirements. usually .060" is a nice place to start. probably wouldn't need anything bigger than .090". you can go up or down size depending on how the return effects fuel pressure at WOT.

Re: So far no more fuel problems. [Re: lewtot184] #1238770
05/25/12 01:19 PM
05/25/12 01:19 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Just to eliminate any confusion on the return line thing, .060" is what the factory used with their metal can fuel filter with a return line. This was in conjunction with their "factory" mechanical fuel pump. You are not using the factory fuel pump, so if you want your fuel regulator to control the pressure to the carb ( and not the return line ), you don't want any restriction on the return line. It should be atleast the same size as the pressure line.

Fastest 300
Re: So far no more fuel problems. [Re: 383man] #1238771
05/25/12 02:05 PM
05/25/12 02:05 PM
ohio
T
top comp Offline
top comp  Offline
T

ohio
Quote:

Na its not busting my stones. I can honestly say that in the early 70's when I started in this hobby and even up to now I never really seemed to have enough money to build what I wanted to (being married with kids) and most of my years I build mild low budget builds. And back then no one used AN fittings on all the fuel system lines and mine were usually stock or very close. Now over the years all my buddies run the high dollar AN fittings on everything and they tell me I am stuck in the 70's when I dont use all the new high dollar stuff. A dinasour ?? Who me ? But honestly with a 6 lb system I have never had a problem using good clamps on good fuel line and never any leaks. I have not had any track officials say anything about the braided fuel line with clamps either. But I have not updated alot of things I still use like the MP orange ECU that still works fine for me. Even though all my friends have to run MSD or something like it. Yea I guess I am still old school on alot of things but if it still works for me it takes me a long time to change. And most of the old school is cheaper. So as long as it is still safe I stick with some of it on my budget. But dont get me wrong as I appeciate anyone's input. One day when the cash is flowing good I will most likely update to all braided line with the AN fittings. I have been waiting a long time though for the day the cash is flowing well. Ron [/quote) I love the old school look.(racing old school for 43 years-going fast and saving money

Page 2 of 2 1 2