05/21/12 02:29 PM
Up in the North and Far Away
A
AutoEngineer Offline OP
AutoEngineer  Offline OP
A

Quote:

well you are losing at least 4 tenths at the 60 foot mark. You should be around the 1.65 60 foot. Now on to the rpm problem...I'd think if you had a fuel problem it would be ok thru 1st and maybe 2nd. From my experience when you have a poo poo pump it's at 3/4 track when you find out. Are you running it w/ an air cleaner assembly? If so remove it and run just the base plate. I'd think with that MPh you should be real low into the 12's and if you can pick up 2-3 mph maybe high 11's.

The track was very slippery like all those old airfield tracks we have here around. They don't have even close to that traction you have with dedicated and prepped race tracks. That's one reason why I like running the cams in the straight up position or slightly retarded. Advancing the cam will only add low end torque and possibly even worsen the traction problems. I might be also testing a taller gear ratio like 3.55 after solving first this rpm problem. On a slippery track it's really difficult to have a good launch and hook hard.

After this rpm problem is history, I assume it will pick up some mph's, because it was almost 200ft before going through the lights when it hit like a wall. At the moment I can only imagine what the ET would had been, IF would had driven on a prepped track and without that rpm problem.

Was running it w/ an air cleaner assembly like this http://www.knfilters.com/images/l/66-3000.jpg

Re: Charger with 440 won't pull and rev enough? [Re: AutoEngineer] #1236075
05/21/12 03:40 PM
05/21/12 03:40 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Not sure what A/F monitor you Are using, a fair number of them out there are either slow response or have a fairly 'generous' +/- % range of accuracy....steady state they're 'fine', but many of them (not allthough) out there can't be trusted to read real time on a 1/4 mile pass.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: Charger with 440 won't pull and rev enough? [Re: AutoEngineer] #1236076
05/21/12 03:43 PM
05/21/12 03:43 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I hate to tell you that the M/T ET Street radials don't work worth a hoot on a bad track, the regular ET streets do a lot better I have both types for my car, I run the radials on the good tracks, 1.39 60 fts and the bias plys on the bad tracks, 1.43 60 ft on the same track, same day. The radials won't run 1.60 on a bad track where the bias will run 1.49 to 1.52 Does the motor hit the same RPM limits in all gears or just high gear ? If in high gear only look at the fuel system, if the same in all gears look at the ignition sytem or tach Good luck on getting that rat motor rascal Put the hammer to him

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Charger with 440 won't pull and rev enough? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1236077
05/22/12 01:37 PM
05/22/12 01:37 PM
A
AutoEngineer Offline OP
AutoEngineer  Offline OP
A

Quote:

I hate to tell you that the M/T ET Street radials don't work worth a hoot on a bad track, the regular ET streets do a lot better I have both types for my car, I run the radials on the good tracks, 1.39 60 fts and the bias plys on the bad tracks, 1.43 60 ft on the same track, same day. The radials won't run 1.60 on a bad track where the bias will run 1.49 to 1.52 Does the motor hit the same RPM limits in all gears or just high gear ? If in high gear only look at the fuel system, if the same in all gears look at the ignition sytem or tach Good luck on getting that rat motor rascal Put the hammer to him

Practically it's nearly the same in all gears, about 5500 rpm and hits like wall. Almost like there would be a rev limiter somewhere ...
But if it's being rev'd in neutral, it takes in the twinkling of an eye over 6500 rpm

Have tested an other ECU, coil, ballast, dist, triple checked the wiring of all ign components, everything EXCEPT the tach.
It's a replacement Tic-Toc-Tachometer from Y1. Used a Sun tach to compare the reading of it when installed, and there was non to mention.

Could it really be so easy solution that the tach would cause the rpm problem?
In theory the answer is yes, but how about in practice, has anyone had such a problem caused by the tach?

However, it will be easy to disconnect that Tic-Toc-Tachometer from the coil

Re: Charger with 440 won't pull and rev enough? [Re: AutoEngineer] #1236078
05/22/12 02:33 PM
05/22/12 02:33 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Practically it's nearly the same in all gears, about 5500 rpm and hits like wall. Almost like there would be a rev limiter somewhere ...
But if it's being rev'd in neutral, it takes in the twinkling of an eye over 6500 rpm

Have tested an other ECU, coil, ballast, dist, triple checked the wiring of all ign components, everything EXCEPT the tach.
It's a replacement Tic-Toc-Tachometer from Y1. Used a Sun tach to compare the reading of it when installed, and there was non to mention.

Could it really be so easy solution that the tach would cause the rpm problem?
In theory the answer is yes, but how about in practice, has anyone had such a problem caused by the tach?

However, it will be easy to disconnect that Tic-Toc-Tachometer from the coil

Disconnect that rascal and go see It wouldn't be the first time a tach caused poroblems like yours

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Charger with 440 won't pull and rev enough? [Re: AutoEngineer] #1236079
05/22/12 04:17 PM
05/22/12 04:17 PM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
1 thing you can try is wind it up in 1st to say 5400 let off staring in first then get back on it if it pulls past the wall at 5500 it is fuel letting off allowed it to catch up!

But my feeling is your lash is set to tight floating the valves take a turn of pre load out and try it can't hurt anything. then maybe another assumimg you have them set the same most people struggle setting the lash and are all over the place from .150 to tight to .030 which is close to right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2