albemarle, NC
D
dusterbd13 Offline OP
enthusiast
dusterbd13  Offline OP
enthusiast
D

albemarle, NC
so ive lusted after an omni glh ever since i drove one when i worked at the dealership. for a 20 year old car at the time, it was a riot. sold it through wholesale auction....

anyway, found a clean and rust free appearing non glh under a carport after my gps went stupid on me today. 6 inches of dust and crap piled on top of it. knocked on the door and no answer. ill go back until i get one.

how hard would it be, and expensive, to turn it to glh specs? im looking for a new commuter/auto-x toy, and i think this would fit the bill admirably. any forums, or preferrably links, to doing this kind of upgrade? better/easier to find/cheaper motor options? any good reasons i shouldnt do this? id love to do it for under GRM challenge budget ($2000 for the whole car, that it. not just the swap.) so, fire away. looking forward to y'alls input.

Michael Crawford CSP 1970 plymouth Duster back under construction: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.ph...ouring-makeover 1964 el camino beater shop truck 96403-project-drivabeater-2-0-64-el-camino-this-time
Re: omni non glh to glh conversion [Re: dusterbd13] #1234049
05/16/12 12:44 AM
05/16/12 12:44 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
www.turbododge.com

There are HUGE differences in electrical and fuel systems between turbo and non turbo cars.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: omni non glh to glh conversion [Re: dusterbd13] #1234050
05/16/12 02:40 AM
05/16/12 02:40 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
You will need a turbo engine(there are several variants and year-to-year changes) and you'll probably want to upgrade transmissions. The l-body cars always got a crappier manual transmission than their other turbo dodge brothers. For that reason many will swap from the mechanical linkage L-body transmission to the stronger cable shifted daytona transmissions. The method of shifting is not what makes them stronger, but a basic way of telling them apart. The turbo auto transmissions are not strong in stock form and really a 4 banger with a 3-sp auto is just blah.

FWIW, the stock 80's engine electronics suck. You will be time and money ahead if you buy a megasquirt and a wideband o2 sensor and tune it from scratch. The stock ECU's are fine for a stock or near stock combo but if you do any modding they are just not worth wasting your time and money on IMO. You can swap in the stock wiring/computer if you find a compatable donor, I have gone this route myself in the past. Never again, just not worth it for the lack of tunability.

Quote:

any good reasons i shouldnt do this?

Yeah, it's all 80's mopar fwd stuff. I still have my daytona and it's in nice shape but I haven't driven it in years just keep it stored inside. When I get to working on it, it's going RWD for sure. May keep the old 4 banger just for nostalgia, or just say the hell with it an drop in a nice small block.

Re: omni non glh to glh conversion [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #1234051
05/16/12 02:42 AM
05/16/12 02:42 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
For info:

www.thedodgegarage.com
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/
www.turbo-mopar.com
www.turbododge.com

There is some useful info on those forums, but I've found the guys there to be less than useful when it comes to any real solid tech help. Usually just figured it out for myself instead of dealing with guys who talk big but don't know what they're actually talking about.