Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

You shouldn't.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: S/ST 3040] #1230287
05/12/12 01:49 PM
05/12/12 01:49 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

You shouldn't.

So everyone is supposed to look over your shoulder when you fire up the Serdi or Rottler? What are you getting at?

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: S/ST 3040] #1230288
05/12/12 01:54 PM
05/12/12 01:54 PM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
As long as were are ONLY stating facts. Let's look at this a little different. So what if new lifters had been used and had a manufacturing defect. Or let's say the used lifters were defective and not defective due to 50 laps of use but due to a manufacturing error. As a result the defects caused the failure. The OP has not ruled out lifter problems but BELIEVES that the failure is only due to the spring selection causing surge. There is no evidence provided by the OP that he has ruled out a defective lifter. It is totally his belief.

At this point he has no proof only a theory but has chosen to publicly bash the company that built the motor when in fact they may have nothing to do with the unfortunate circumstances.

Question: What was so wrong with the previous race engine valve train that they needed to immediately change to a Jesel setup? Did this have an impact on the lifters?

Damon

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Hot 340] #1230289
05/12/12 01:55 PM
05/12/12 01:55 PM
On the south side of Nowhere
S
S/ST 3040 Offline
master
S/ST 3040  Offline
master
S

On the south side of Nowhere
People who know me keep me plenty busy.

I saw everybody giving their $.02 and that's all I was doing.

Sorry about all of your issues Brian. Thank you for the
informative post. Do carry on.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: S/ST 3040] #1230290
05/12/12 01:56 PM
05/12/12 01:56 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

Sorry about all of yor issues Brian. Thank you for the

ok. ill stop.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Hot 340] #1230291
05/12/12 07:21 PM
05/12/12 07:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I got a little hot under the collar when I posted Lay off Ryan! but....if you read my post it is to protest the public hanging of what may well be an inocent business and person on an internet forum. I do build engines for a living so I may be extra sensitive here BUT...you put used junk in a race motor--it go boom--tough crud for you pal--no matter WHO did it. Truth is you put new stuff in --it go boom--that is the risk we all take when turning an engine ( any engine) 7500 plus-- And I really got upset with the notion that every engine that has .200 to coil bind is a problem and was not done right--That is TOTAL BS! And...with titanium parts it is even more BS. So...I will just finish up by saying
I hate your engine failed, I really do, I know what pain that can be but--the most vulnerable part in any race engine is the freaking roller lifter axle and needles--we all know that for a fact! Use the best ones made and you need to swap them at every fresh up-NO MATTER what. Take the used ones and sell on Ebay and guess what? Someone down the food chain TAKES A RISK when buying and using those kind of parts. I am building a new Front engine dragster--I have a NEW frame that is nice but I will be using Used Junk for my engine to keep it cheap--I will have a used discarded oil pump that I took apart and cleaned and checked, used valve springs, cracked block that customer tossed ( I will fill that sucker), cam with funny looking lobe where a roller lifter failed a little, used streched tinming set, cracked heads as I will not be running water it is alky, mismatched pushrods USED head gaskets etc etc but I will have an engine that will run mid 8's in my dragster for about $1200 tops. I understand it may not live all season but I do it to prove that used stuff is OK if you are aware of it's limits. I can't do this for customers--EVER--and I never do. Would I use some sprint car whored up lifters in my engine--YES. Would I let a customer talk me into using them in his? Well...yes...I have in the past and guess what? It always comes back to bite someone IF you expect the used parts to be fail proof--if you say I am saving X amount over new ones and I know I am taking a risk --no big --but to do that and then throw your builder under the bus--IN public--well...it just makes me sick.
The only builder left on here to help is Bob George and Andy--what happens if one of his blows? Then I guess you will have no builders to help out--
Check all of Bobs past post, and Ryans before he left here, and the others-- they are all aiming to help folks for free with their vast experience.
Always remeber what Smokey Yunick said--The price of progress( speed and power) is trouble!
Can't we all just get along?

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: ] #1230292
05/12/12 09:04 PM
05/12/12 09:04 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Have you missed reading that others too have had issues? I dont think this is an isolated incident, Brian just choose to speak up. Now you can read within this post where others have had issues as well, they main not choose to be as public with them as Brian but you can clearly see this is not an isolated one time incident.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: S/ST 3040] #1230293
05/12/12 09:36 PM
05/12/12 09:36 PM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
Quote:

Sorry about all of your issues Brian. Thank you for the

Hey,Vic,.........
I have a set of big block Edelbrock RPM heads for you to fix.

Keith

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1230294
05/12/12 09:44 PM
05/12/12 09:44 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Have you missed reading that others too have had issues? I dont think this is an isolated incident, Brian just choose to speak up. Now you can read within this post where others have had issues as well, they main not choose to be as public with them as Brian but you can clearly see this is not an isolated one time incident.

Thanks Al, you treed me.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: ] #1230295
05/13/12 12:58 AM
05/13/12 12:58 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

I got a little hot under the collar when I posted Lay off Ryan! but....if you read my post it is to protest the public hanging of what may well be an inocent business and person on an internet forum. I do build engines for a living so I may be extra sensitive here BUT...you put used junk in a race motor--it go boom--tough crud for you pal--no matter WHO did it. Truth is you put new stuff in --it go boom--that is the risk we all take when turning an engine ( any engine) 7500 plus-- And I really got upset with the notion that every engine that has .200 to coil bind is a problem and was not done right--That is TOTAL BS! And...with titanium parts it is even more BS. So...I will just finish up by saying
I hate your engine failed, I really do, I know what pain that can be but--the most vulnerable part in any race engine is the freaking roller lifter axle and needles--we all know that for a fact! Use the best ones made and you need to swap them at every fresh up-NO MATTER what. Take the used ones and sell on Ebay and guess what? Someone down the food chain TAKES A RISK when buying and using those kind of parts. I am building a new Front engine dragster--I have a NEW frame that is nice but I will be using Used Junk for my engine to keep it cheap--I will have a used discarded oil pump that I took apart and cleaned and checked, used valve springs, cracked block that customer tossed ( I will fill that sucker), cam with funny looking lobe where a roller lifter failed a little, used streched tinming set, cracked heads as I will not be running water it is alky, mismatched pushrods USED head gaskets etc etc but I will have an engine that will run mid 8's in my dragster for about $1200 tops. I understand it may not live all season but I do it to prove that used stuff is OK if you are aware of it's limits. I can't do this for customers--EVER--and I never do. Would I use some sprint car whored up lifters in my engine--YES. Would I let a customer talk me into using them in his? Well...yes...I have in the past and guess what? It always comes back to bite someone IF you expect the used parts to be fail proof--if you say I am saving X amount over new ones and I know I am taking a risk --no big --but to do that and then throw your builder under the bus--IN public--well...it just makes me sick.
The only builder left on here to help is Bob George and Andy--what happens if one of his blows? Then I guess you will have no builders to help out--
Check all of Bobs past post, and Ryans before he left here, and the others-- they are all aiming to help folks for free with their vast experience.
Always remeber what Smokey Yunick said--The price of progress( speed and power) is trouble!

I want it officially noted that I'm no longer the cheapest racer on this board....

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Eric] #1230296
05/13/12 01:07 AM
05/13/12 01:07 AM
Out West
408strokerdart Offline OP
master
408strokerdart  Offline OP
master

Out West
Quote:

Quote:

I want it officially noted that I'm no longer the cheapest racer on this board....

Noted Eric....Where is your new bullet? Bob George still putting his magic touch on it?

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: 408strokerdart] #1230297
05/13/12 01:22 AM
05/13/12 01:22 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Noted Eric....Where is your new bullet? Bob George still putting his magic touch on it?

Yepper....hopefully soon I'll be out finding new ways to loose...

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Eric] #1230298
05/13/12 07:21 AM
05/13/12 07:21 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
It's done.Trust me
To comment about the original post: Trust is the relationship between you and your builder.In this game shtz happens and things go wrong.Parts break and engines blow.To hold a builder accountable for a new rod bolt that breaks or anything else that fails is beyond anyones ability to predict.Sometimes screwups are the fault of the parts,builder or worker and even the choise of parts or origin of manufacture.
Our philosophy is simple,if our customer has a problem,then "we" have a problem.How it is handled after is how you base your relationship.At BGR we understand that our reputation is our most important asset.No matter what or who screws up it falls on my shoulders to make it right.
We have seen our share of F*ups over the last 50 years and because of how we handled each situation ,those have become our most loyal customers,friends and BGR family of racers.
Sometimes we put machinists and builders on a pedestal so high that it makes any error almost unforgivable.Remember they are human like everyone else.
I hope everthing works out for everyone involved.

Last edited by B G Racing; 05/18/12 07:41 AM.
Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: B G Racing] #1230299
05/13/12 01:34 PM
05/13/12 01:34 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

It's done.Trust me
To comment about the original post: Trust is the relationship between you and your builder.In this game shtz happens and things go wrong.Parts break and engines blow.To hold a builder accountable for a new rod bolt that breaks or anything else that fails is beyond anyones ability to predict.Sometimes screwups are the fault of the parts,buider or worker and even the choise of parts or origin of manufacture.
Our philosophy is simple,if our customer has a problem,then "we" have a problem.How it is handled after is how you base your relationship.At BGR we understand that our reputation is our most important asset.No matter what or who screws up it falls on my shoulders to make it right.
We have seen our share of F*ups over the last 50 years and because of how we handled each situation ,those have become our most loyal customers,friends and BGR family of racers.
Sometimes we put machinists and builders on a pedestal so high that it makes any error almost unforgivable.Remember they are human like everyone else.
I hope everthing works out for everyone involved.

Nice!!!....a bit of good news interjected into this thread

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: B G Racing] #1230300
05/13/12 03:43 PM
05/13/12 03:43 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
What came first the roller or the spring.... In the start of this post the OP used the word fact several times stating that the spring caused the failure. After reading posts on other sites & the opinions of other race engine builders it seams that this lifter has been known not to like seat pressures over 300lbs, The fact is we really don't know if this is true or false, It is just the opinion of others that have seen this type of failure. Race engines by nature tend to push the limits of parts & design. Without proper failure diagnosis the OPs failure is speculative at best. It seems that race engine shops are just as competitive as racers & some are fast to blame a failure on someone else's work, I also feel that TRUST is a two way street, To not communicate with your builder weather before or after the fact seems counter productive to both parties, Then on top of that to share your opinion on a public form with others that may have a axe to grind over the years this shop has been building race engines is just not right.... The bottom line is race engines fail and there are not that many people qualified to state fact rather than opinion. Its way too easy to just throw a builder under the buss using opinions. Was this post intended to warn other racers or vent some steam? Failure posts should be about corrective measures not blame. I do not know the OP and I have no connection what so ever with the builder except I have been following his posts for years and have found them very informative and accurate.I feel posts of this nature tend to push the people best qualified to contribute to this site away and why some posters with the most experience are getting a little bitter with replies, The availability of cutting edge Mopar small block people are few compared to Chevies & Fords So what do we have for our reading future some Hi tec lug nut posts

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: emarine01] #1230301
05/13/12 04:45 PM
05/13/12 04:45 PM
Joplin, Mo
R
rt66jim Offline
master
rt66jim  Offline
master
R

Joplin, Mo
Quote:

What came first the roller or the spring.... In the start of this post the OP used the word fact several times stating that the spring caused the failure. After reading posts on other sites & the opinions of other race engine builders it seams that this lifter has been known not to like seat pressures over 300lbs, The fact is we really don't know if this is true or false, It is just the opinion of others that have seen this type of failure. Race engines by nature tend to push the limits of parts & design. Without proper failure diagnosis the OPs failure is speculative at best. It seems that race engine shops are just as competitive as racers & some are fast to blame a failure on someone else's work, I also feel that TRUST is a two way street, To not communicate with your builder weather before or after the fact seems counter productive to both parties, Then on top of that to share your opinion on a public form with others that may have a axe to grind over the years this shop has been building race engines is just not right.... The bottom line is race engines fail and there are not that many people qualified to state fact rather than opinion. Its way too easy to just throw a builder under the buss using opinions. Was this post intended to warn other racers or vent some steam? Failure posts should be about corrective measures not blame. I do not know the OP and I have no connection what so ever with the builder except I have been following his posts for years and have found them very informative and accurate.I feel posts of this nature tend to push the people best qualified to contribute to this site away and why some posters with the most experience are getting a little bitter with replies, The availability of cutting edge Mopar small block people are few compared to Chevies & Fords So what do we have for our reading future some Hi tec lug nut posts

x2

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: rt66jim] #1230302
05/13/12 05:06 PM
05/13/12 05:06 PM
State College, Pennsylvania
F
fatman Offline
fatman  Offline
F

State College, Pennsylvania
X3. This situation is full of grey areas, yet so full of strident opinion.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: emarine01] #1230303
05/13/12 05:10 PM
05/13/12 05:10 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

x4. especially on the others that have an axe to grind.

Re: Should you be able to trust your engine builder? [Re: Hot 340] #1230304
05/13/12 06:55 PM
05/13/12 06:55 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
To answer the original question..

I would say that you "SHOULD" be able to trust your machinist/builder..

However, if something goes amiss then from my past experiences, I would say find someone else..

I'm still fixing the problems of my EX-machinist/builder..

I trusted him, and when there was a problem, he said he fixed me up.. Cost me more $$$ too..

Guess what, more issues.. So when I had some of my problems fixed.. .002-.004 piston to bore by another top machinist/builder

The short block was much better.. So I started telling people of my issues, and it got back to the original machinist..

Here's where it gets back to Brian's point..

The original shop told me he would fix my still existing valve train issues for free.. That's right "FREE"..

So I took the whole engine to him, and gave him a chance to make good on his bad machine work..

So when I got the engine back, he said "Put it in and run it"

I said.. "No lash adjustments or anything?" He said.. "Nope, your good to go and this ones on me so please stop saying bad things about me"

When we got the engine back home, myself and Robbie started looking things over..

Noticed the lash was written on the intake.. .027-.024..

I call him and ask if that's what he set the lash at.. Yep cold.. (I have an all aluminum B1) so that would be about .041 hot..

Okay, now we're checking everything..

Found out that he re-used my old head gaskets, even though I gave him new ones, and painted them with silver spray paint.

So when we pull the heads we find out that the pass head wasn't even seated all the way down.. Dowel pin issue he never saw.. Must have damaged at his shop.

Water would have just filled cylinders in the rear.. (BTW.. he lost my head studs too, and said I never brought them)..

We also found a few rocker studs nuts were only holding 2-3 threads and would have surely come off.

Anyway, we put it back together and it ran well, but as I've posted before, I had valve train issues, (Al saw first hand) that were totally the result of faulty or never done at all machine work..

Just got my heads back, from a reputable Mopar Shop.. After 30 runs from "THE SHOP I TRUSTED" the heads needed all new guides.. (supposedly already done) new intake seats.. (badly beaten because of bad guides)

So now after another pile of $$$$ in this deal, I would say that I "Should Never Have Trusted This Shop" after the first crappy work..

EVEN FOR FREE..

I feel you Brian..

Chris..

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10