03/19/12 11:22 PM
03/19/12 11:22 PM
Detroit, MI
F
FC7AARcuda Offline OP
FC7AARcuda  Offline OP
F

Detroit, MI

I bought a pair of the repo upper control arms for my '71 'cuda which I tried to install last weekend. When I went to remove the cam bolts that attach the control arms to the body I ran into problems. On the front bolt, the nut and washer came off no problem, but the bolt is rusted in place and won't come out. The rear bolt broke when I tried to remove the nut and that bolt is stuck in place as well. The bolts appear to be rusted to the inner sleeve of the control arm bushing(cars been off road for 25+ years). When I torque the bolts to try and break them loose, I can see the inner part of the bushing move along with the bolt. I've tried wacking the bolts with a 3lb sledge but they won't budge. I think I'm bending the bracket in the wheel well that the bolts go through. I've drenched with PB Blaster a couple times but no luck.

Any one had this problem? Any suggestion on how to remove the bolts? Thanks, Warren

Re: 'cuda Upper Control Arm Issue [Re: FC7AARcuda] #1199975
03/19/12 11:53 PM
03/19/12 11:53 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
just about any old Mopar that has it's originial arms on it, and is a bit rusty can be a bear to remove, replace all the cams, they're cheap and still available, don't waste time wrenching crap, the shafts are hardened, so a sawzall won't help, a small die grinding wheel, the 1/16 or 1/8" thick disc style, about 2" in diameter works best cutting the shafts right at the bushing ends, then just knock it out....