09/08/08 04:18 PM
09/08/08 04:18 PM
germany
440sat72 Offline OP
top fuel
440sat72  Offline OP
top fuel

germany
i'm still tinkering around with my TQ. i got the idle speed up with my larger cam now by drilling the primary throttle blades 1/8" which worked fine (and made me able to lower the throttle blades so that the exposed area of the idle transfer slots is not too big).

however, i am still having a little hesitation when touching the gas. it is not a bog, more like a rough running. it only occurs when i step on the gas a little.

what i noticed is that when i touch the gas like that, the accelerator pump does not shoot fuel into the carb. i have to move the gas a little more to activate the accelarator pump. is that the way it should be?

Last edited by 440sat72; 09/14/08 06:47 PM.
Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440sat72] #117334
09/08/08 07:16 PM
09/08/08 07:16 PM
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Ansonia, CT
The accel pump on a TQ has a spring that is compressed by the throttle linkage at idle. This design automatically takes up any slop in the system. The pump should squirt fuel as soon as the throttle is touched. Perhaps not much of a shot at the most tiny movement but it should be responsive.

Describe "touch the throttle". Just breaking it off idle or light accel??

I wonder if your 1/8 holes were too big and you are not uncovering the transfer slots enough off idle.

2017 Contusion Blue Challenger T/A 392 M6 "BLKNBLU"
Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: CJK440] #117335
09/08/08 10:43 PM
09/08/08 10:43 PM
near Harrisburg, Pa
440trk Offline
master
440trk  Offline
master

near Harrisburg, Pa
Your accelerator pump setting is too low or the accelerator pump linkage has slop in it. The spring does NOT self-adjust. To adjust the pump, you must bend the linkage, or if it's "pretty close", you can get away with bending the adjusting tab at the pump. Check your pump setting. IF it is set properly, you need to fiddle with the linkage to get the slop out of it. When you move the throttle, the accelerator pump should immediately move...even just a little. If you have ANY throttle movement before the accelerator pump moves, you're going to have a lean stumble.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440trk] #117336
09/08/08 10:57 PM
09/08/08 10:57 PM
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Ansonia, CT
It does not self adjust, it does however take up any slack in the linkage.

If you can find slop in a TQ pump linkage, you got big problems.

Unlike a holley that has levers that push the pump the TQ has a spring that pushes the pump plunger, but at idle the linkage draws the plunger back, compressing the spring and "cocking" it. When the throttle is opened the spring is no longer held back and it shoots fuel.

Disconnect the linkage on a carb full of fuel and you'll see what I mean.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: CJK440] #117337
09/08/08 11:37 PM
09/08/08 11:37 PM
near Harrisburg, Pa
440trk Offline
master
440trk  Offline
master

near Harrisburg, Pa
Quote:

It does not self adjust, it does however take up any slack in the linkage.

If you can find slop in a TQ pump linkage, you got big problems.

While I agree 99%...I've seen linkage that was not correctly adjusted, hang up and prevent movement at the pump. It allowed the rod to wiggle at the throttle linkage a little before unbinding. So getting slop in it, is possible. Yes, the pump spring will usually overcome it...but I've seen some pretty messed up linkage over the years, as many folks just weren't up on TQ tuning, and made things worse than they probably were before they "fixed" them.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440sat72] #117338
09/08/08 11:55 PM
09/08/08 11:55 PM
Midland, Tx
R
rjones Offline
rjones  Offline
R

Midland, Tx
what i noticed is that when i touch the gas like that, the accelerator pump does not shoot fuel into the carb. i have to move the gas a little more to activate the accelarator pump. is that the way it should be?

This is a common problem with TQs and what causes it is the accelerator pump piston design. It is a two piece design with a plunger and a lip seal that fits loose on the plunger. The seal will usually have about .020 up and down play in it. What happens is when the throttle is closed the pump plunger is lifted to the top of its travel and the seal is pulled to the bottom of its groove. Now when you step on the throttle the plunger has to move .020 before the pump squirt will begin.

The problem is easy to cure by placing a tight o-ring around the bottom of the plunger forcing the lip seal tight against its upper sealing surface. The catch is you can't do this without removing the plunger which requires removal of the check valve at the bottom of the pump piston bore. Removal almost alway destroys it and now you have to buy a carb kit. However this is a easy mod if you have plans to rebuild the carb. Hope this helps.

Roger

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: rjones] #117339
09/09/08 01:09 AM
09/09/08 01:09 AM
near Harrisburg, Pa
440trk Offline
master
440trk  Offline
master

near Harrisburg, Pa
Quote:

No, you most likely have a float setting too low, or the accelerator pump adjustment is too high. Again, it's possible to have some binding in the linkage, so check that out too. You should get pump movement immediately, and fuel out of the squirter directly there after.

Quote:

This is a common problem with TQs and what causes it is the accelerator pump piston design. It is a two piece design with a plunger and a lip seal that fits loose on the plunger. The seal will usually have about .020 up and down play in it. What happens is when the throttle is closed the pump plunger is lifted to the top of its travel and the seal is pulled to the bottom of its groove. Now when you step on the throttle the plunger has to move .020 before the pump squirt will begin.

The problem is easy to cure by placing a tight o-ring around the bottom of the plunger forcing the lip seal tight against its upper sealing surface. The catch is you can't do this without removing the plunger which requires removal of the check valve at the bottom of the pump piston bore. Removal almost alway destroys it and now you have to buy a carb kit. However this is a easy mod if you have plans to rebuild the carb. Hope this helps.

Roger

Interesting observation... I can't say I've ever had a problem with one, but I can see where that could possibly occur. I would think that by setting the pump and float properly, you basically pre-load the plunger though, wouldn't you? i.e. the fuel in the bowl would be just a shade higher than the plunger setting, thereby assuring the accelerator well was always full of fuel. If So, wouldn't that effectively push the plunger up, pre-loading it against the spring assembly? Now I'm going to have to play around with one, to see what happens....

I've always had good luck setting the floats at 1" and the accelerator pump at spec for the carb.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440trk] #117340
09/09/08 07:21 AM
09/09/08 07:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thats a standard feature of thermobogs

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation #117341
09/09/08 08:10 AM
09/09/08 08:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an interesting thread and I in no way wish to jump someone else's thread but while we're on the subject.
I have a speed demon doing the exact same thing for a while now. I have performed various suggested solutions from people local to me as well as moparts members in the past. Change float levels, change squirters, change pump settings. Nothing has really helped the stumble. I was playing with adjustments with Hemi Jimbo the other day and he offered a possible solution since everything else seems to be correct. He wondered if maybe there was a tiny leak in the pump diaphragm. Since I have been hearing some issues with Barry Grants QC dept. lately I thought maybe he is right? So I ordered a new diaphragm. It just came the other day have not had a chance to install it yet. I hope this finally works that stumble is beyond annoying. As I know this is different than the TQ carb. Do any of you guys have any input related to my issues?
Thanks.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation #117342
09/09/08 08:43 AM
09/09/08 08:43 AM
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Ansonia, CT
If the diaphram in your demon was leaking, it would drip out of the pump cover and onto your manifold.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: CJK440] #117343
09/09/08 03:40 PM
09/09/08 03:40 PM
germany
440sat72 Offline OP
top fuel
440sat72  Offline OP
top fuel

germany
thanks for all those interesting replies! let me answer a few things:

Quote:

Describe "touch the throttle". Just breaking it off idle or light accel??

Just breaking it off idle.

Quote:

I wonder if your 1/8 holes were too big and you are not uncovering the transfer slots enough off idle.

i thought about that, too - but i have still a little more than .040" of the transfer slots exposed beneath the throttle baldes so i think i should be ok?

Quote:

When you move the throttle, the accelerator pump should immediately move...even just a little.

it does move immediately - but it doesnt shoot fuel immediately ...

and yes, my floats are set at 1".

anyway, i'll check wether my accelerator pump setting is correct first!

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440sat72] #117344
09/09/08 07:09 PM
09/09/08 07:09 PM
Eastern Ohio
mopowergtx Offline
master
mopowergtx  Offline
master

Eastern Ohio
Sounds like your on the right track with the tips on the acc plunger but I've had the exact same slight stumble your describing going from the brake at a red light and easing into the gas. Both times on my Thermoquad it was super fine rust getting through my filter partially plugging my idle circuits. You could no problem drive the car like that with that one second or less "stumble" but it was annoying till I cleaned it both times with compressed air and a can of carb cleaner. Just another thought to throw out there to look at. If it is that you'll see the super fine, like dust really, particles in the bowls when you tear it apart though. Good luck.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: mopowergtx] #117345
09/09/08 10:08 PM
09/09/08 10:08 PM
Midland, Tx
R
rjones Offline
rjones  Offline
R

Midland, Tx
It is difficult to describe in just words about the accel pump piston so I thought a couple pictures might help. The first picture shows a .016 feeler gauge that demonstrates the slack that is present between the lip seal and the plunger. This slack exists when the throttle is closed because the lip seal drags on the bore when the piston is lifted. The plunger now has to take up this slack before the accel pump squirt will begin.

Here is a picture with the o-ring installed on the plunger. This o-ring is too loose but it demonstrates the idea. The o-ring just needs to be a snug fit.

If my memory is correct very early TQs had leather accel pump pistons. On these no slack is present in the pump piston and they squirt immediately when the throttle is opened. These were better designs and the only reason I can figure they changed them was to save money in production costs. However the newer one will work just as well if you are willing to o-ring it. Hoped this helps.

Roger

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440sat72] #117346
09/09/08 10:41 PM
09/09/08 10:41 PM
Midland, Tx
R
rjones Offline
rjones  Offline
R

Midland, Tx
Some other things I forgot to mention. This is usually not a noticeable problem with TQs when they are used on stock engines where the rest of the carbs metering circuits are tuned and working correctly. However, when you start tuning these carbs for high performance use these defencies begin to appear. TQs always seem to be lacking in the accel pump so the more pump squirt you can get the better.

Also, 440 sat 72 are you using the mopar performance distributor? If so there is a allen screw adjustment inside the vacuum diaphram that will allow the vacuum advance to come in sooner at a lower manifold vacuum. I have two of these and they were both adjusted from the factory so high that the vacuum advance never worked. Also give your engine as much inital timing as it will take and still start without firing against the starter. To do this you might have to remove some of the mechanical advance so the timing will not be advanced too much at high rpm.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Roger

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: rjones] #117347
09/10/08 12:25 AM
09/10/08 12:25 AM
Port Alberni, British Columbia
MoparDonny Offline
top fuel
MoparDonny  Offline
top fuel

Port Alberni, British Columbia
I always thought my off idle stumble with my old TQ was from a worn out primary throttle shaft bore. Just another stick in the spokes idea. I could here a slight vacuum leak from the shaft if I gently touched the throttle, could even hear it while driving the truck if I did it just right.

Don.

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: MoparDonny] #117348
09/10/08 12:52 AM
09/10/08 12:52 AM
Las Vegas, NV
C
chargerbr549 Offline
chargerbr549  Offline
C

Las Vegas, NV
This is a very interesting read since I have had the same problem on my 74 Dodge Pickup stock 440, I always had a stumble off idle so I double checked everything and tried different acc pumps and check valves etc. and nothing ever fixed it so I had other TQ's laying around and one that I had used years earlier and had always worked great I tried that as well but still had the same stumble so I ended up putting a 750 Holley on it and problem solved, however I would like to go back to the TQ because it was better on gas and it seemed to make more WOT power but that could be because it made alot more noise also, with some of these tips I might have to give the TQ a shot again,

Thanks Kevin

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: rjones] #117349
09/10/08 01:06 AM
09/10/08 01:06 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

It is difficult to describe in just words about the accel pump piston so I thought a couple pictures might help. The first picture shows a .016 feeler gauge that demonstrates the slack that is present between the lip seal and the plunger. This slack exists when the throttle is closed because the lip seal drags on the bore when the piston is lifted. The plunger now has to take up this slack before the accel pump squirt will begin.

Here is a picture with the o-ring installed on the plunger. This o-ring is too loose but it demonstrates the idea. The o-ring just needs to be a snug fit.

If my memory is correct very early TQs had leather accel pump pistons. On these no slack is present in the pump piston and they squirt immediately when the throttle is opened. These were better designs and the only reason I can figure they changed them was to save money in production costs. However the newer one will work just as well if you are willing to o-ring it. Hoped this helps.

Roger

interesting info, however I tryed to use leather sroke pumps without success ( Highgrade kits )... never got good squirt... maybe beacsue leather was not in perfect conditions even they were new ? or mabe because cilinder walls are worn ? dunno, but had to change to the rubber unit to get a good squirt!

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: NachoRT74] #117350
09/10/08 04:37 PM
09/10/08 04:37 PM
germany
440sat72 Offline OP
top fuel
440sat72  Offline OP
top fuel

germany
hey this is great information here!shouldnt this be moved to tech archives?

Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: 440sat72] #117351
09/12/08 09:48 PM
09/12/08 09:48 PM
Missouri
M
MY340 Offline
master
MY340  Offline
master
M

Missouri
What size squirters are you using? Have you tried a larger squirter to see if it helps or eliminates the hesitation?

1970 FE5 Duster 360/904/3.91's SOLD 1973 TB3 SpaceDuster 340/4spd/4.10's SOLD Moparless for now but when the opportunity is right I'll have another one.
Re: Thernoquad off idle hesitation [Re: rjones] #117352
09/14/08 06:49 PM
09/14/08 06:49 PM
germany
440sat72 Offline OP
top fuel
440sat72  Offline OP
top fuel

germany
Quote:

Roger

Roger, you are my hero! modifying the accelerator pump as you suggested cured the off idle hesitation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2