12/27/11 12:23 PM
Mass
68bb Offline OP
super street
68bb  Offline OP
super street

Mass
Hello All

I posted a while back about new axle seals leaking profusely. It was suggested to check the vent. I have the vent out now and have a question. It seems like just a hollow threaded section of pipe with a spring loaded cap at the top. Question is, should only be open at the top or also have holes drilled in from the sides as well?

thanks

Re: 8 3/4" rear axle vent question [Re: 68bb] #1144972
12/27/11 12:29 PM
12/27/11 12:29 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
I think it is open at the top only and the dust cap should be loose.

if you can blow thru it,i would say it is not clogged

are you sure the seals didnt get the back spring poped off on install?

I happen to run greens with no inner seals just the o-ring on the bearings for the last 2 yrs. no leaks yet.

are the axle in good shape where the seal rides?

I have also removed the cap and used the vent bolt holding the brak tee on the housing with a small mini cone shaped breather/filter also.

picked it up at the parts store in the chrome goodies section for 10 bux.

fixing to do that again on mine

Re: 8 3/4" rear axle vent question [Re: 68bb] #1144973
12/27/11 06:56 PM
12/27/11 06:56 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

It seems like just a hollow threaded section of pipe with a spring loaded cap at the top.

Your vent is good & you need new seals. fill the rear spring recess completely full with grease and smear some gasket cement of any kind on the housing ID recess where the seal will reside when it is in place rather than on the seal OD or it will be scuffed off as the seal is driven it. Make a round flat piece JUST smaller than the seal OD and a drift & with some easy light hammer taps get the seal started in square a bit then switch to a BFH & drive it home with as few strokes as possible as each stroke increases the chance of distorting it (prob what happened or very old seals) but do stop after each stroke & check to see if it's still going in square & if it's a bit tilted sideways then put the drift on the edge of the circular flat over the high spot rather than the center & a medium hit to square it back up then continue on with the big hammer & big hits in the center. Measure the depth of the old seal before removal to easily know the distance to drive the new one in to.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 8 3/4" rear axle vent question [Re: RapidRobert] #1144974
12/27/11 08:09 PM
12/27/11 08:09 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Make sure to clean, inspect and repack the bearings while you have it apart. Pack with a good wheel bearing compatible grease. This is the only lubrication that they get. They are NOT lubricated by the rear end lubricant. Then reinstall the axles and adjust your end play. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/12.html