09/02/08 03:00 PM
09/02/08 03:00 PM
clarks summit pa
73cuda340 Offline OP
super stock
73cuda340  Offline OP
super stock

clarks summit pa
Whenever I go to start my car I have to prime the engine with gas or starting fluid to get it to start and if I try to just start it by cranking, the battery will die before it starts, but once the engine starts it runs good. I thought this could be a problem with the fuel boiling out from the carb since the exhaust crossover isn't blocked off but even if I shut it off and go to pump the gas, no gas squirts out. Carb is a thermoquad. Also when I took the car down the road just to test it (still under restoration) I sometimes get a slight bog but it clears out. Could this be a misadjustment in the secondaries? Thanks for all help.

1973 Cuda 528 all aluminum Hemi, 4 speed, 3.23 Sure-Grip, (JA5) Silver Frost Metallic 1973 Challenger Rallye 340 1985 W150 Power Ram prospector 1986 Camaro IROC-Z 305 tpi
Re: Carb problem [Re: 73cuda340] #114041
09/02/08 03:35 PM
09/02/08 03:35 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
My suggestion would be to add a black plastic phenolic spacer under the carb with a drop base air cleaner if needed to compensate for the additional height increase, and block off the ex crossover. When it's running stop & see if you have a good squirt that starts immediately as you touch the throttle. Less likey is the black plastic thermoquad body has a leak in the wells in the base & gas in draining off overnight & check float level.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Carb problem [Re: RapidRobert] #114042
09/02/08 04:57 PM
09/02/08 04:57 PM
Seattle, WA
R
rss Offline
super stock
rss  Offline
super stock
R

Seattle, WA
Quote:

but even if I shut it off and go to pump the gas, no gas squirts out.

The way I am reading this makes me think your accelerator pump is not working.

Are you saying the car is running, you turn it off and then when you manually depress the throttle linkage you are not seeing a squirt of gas into the carb? If this is so, adding a spacer under your carb isn't going to fix anything.

Sounds to me like you are priming the carb to get the car running and then you have enough vacuum to pull fuel into the carb. When car is running if you stab the pedal quickly you get a bog but if you feather the pedal you generate enough vacuum to feed the carb and get the revs up. Does this sound right?

Re: Carb problem [Re: rss] #114043
09/02/08 11:14 PM
09/02/08 11:14 PM
clarks summit pa
73cuda340 Offline OP
super stock
73cuda340  Offline OP
super stock

clarks summit pa
Quote:

Quote:

Are you saying the car is running, you turn it off and then when you manually depress the throttle linkage you are not seeing a squirt of gas into the carb? If this is so, adding a spacer under your carb isn't going to fix anything.

Sounds to me like you are priming the carb to get the car running and then you have enough vacuum to pull fuel into the carb. When car is running if you stab the pedal quickly you get a bog but if you feather the pedal you generate enough vacuum to feed the carb and get the revs up. Does this sound right?

That pretty much sums it up, however I've only taken the car for two or three quick trips down the road and it only did the bog once.

1973 Cuda 528 all aluminum Hemi, 4 speed, 3.23 Sure-Grip, (JA5) Silver Frost Metallic 1973 Challenger Rallye 340 1985 W150 Power Ram prospector 1986 Camaro IROC-Z 305 tpi
Re: Carb problem [Re: 73cuda340] #114044
09/02/08 11:59 PM
09/02/08 11:59 PM
Texas
amchale Offline
amchale  Offline

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That pretty much sums it up, however I've only taken the car for two or three quick trips down the road and it only did the bog once.

My 440 is a bear to start when its been sitting for a while too, but I'd check all of the above mentioned. Also you could check the choke and idle settings on the carb to make sure the choke is closing/opening as it should and that the idle mixture is right. Sounds like a carb rebuild is in your future.

Re: Carb problem [Re: RapidRobert] #114045
09/03/08 01:00 AM
09/03/08 01:00 AM
Missouri
M
MY340 Offline
master
MY340  Offline
master
M

Missouri
Quote:

My suggestion would be to add a black plastic phenolic spacer under the carb with a drop base air cleaner if needed to compensate for the additional height increase, and block off the ex crossover. When it's running stop & see if you have a good squirt that starts immediately as you touch the throttle. Less likey is the black plastic thermoquad body has a leak in the wells in the base & gas in draining off overnight & check float level.

Thermoquad carbs don't need phenolic spacers as they have phenolic fuel bowls that cool the fuel. But they will still need to be cranked and pumped some to start after sitting long time with today's crappy gas that evaporates easily in the carb. If you're having trouble with hot restarts you probably have leaking jetwells and the carb is flooding the intake after engine is shutoff.

Mine had this problem and after re-epoxying the jetwells it starts so easily on hot restarts even with headers.

1970 FE5 Duster 360/904/3.91's SOLD 1973 TB3 SpaceDuster 340/4spd/4.10's SOLD Moparless for now but when the opportunity is right I'll have another one.