12/22/11 08:36 PM
12/22/11 08:36 PM
east coast
E
EV2 AAR Offline
EV2 AAR  Offline
E

east coast
Well,I am not in the market so it would be an unfair judgement,because there are two ways to buying a car,one, that you absolutely have to have and are not worried if you overpay and that most likely have no intentions on selling,therefore would pay more to obtain if need be.
Two,you scan the classifieds,forums,ebay,etc for what seems like a real good deal,and if can be had,you buy with the attitude that you can use and enjoy for awhile then flip,restore and sell,or plain out flip it.Unfortunately there is more of that going on than true hobbiest.
But,to answer your question,if I was in the market,and saw this car,yes,because I do like them alot,and knowing it is a real V code,my honest offer would be around the $25-30k range.As some say about the added value of the sunroof,as I said,I don't like them so it does not reflect in my price offer,and wish it did'nt have one,ntm,now because of the sunroof there has to be a full vinyl top which I also don't like.But,you don't have a choice,it's on that car.
I greatly think that if it did have its numbers motor/tranny that it could add a good amount to it.
If I owned it already,I would have an awfull hard time parting with it.
Back in the high market price 04-07 I had an offer of a pretty large sum for my AAR,which still is in project form,that most would have jumped at,more than 4 times what I paid for it.
I did'nt want the money,I want the car.
Finished value,that is a tuff call,there is and never will be somthing to compare it.It's a roll of the dice if you auction it,and me personally would never take the risk unless it was a reserve type like Mecum and I could take it back home.Look what happened to that 70 Stage1 Buick factory showcar that supposably had an appraisal of $1,850,000,ran with no res and only sold for $72k,then was on the bay at a dealer for $299k BIN.That particular crowd on hand only wanted to pay such.
To put it on Ebay with a high res to see what it could bring is a bad gauge to me, as you cannot determine the value with such a minimal exposure of only 10 days max.The certain person or persons might not be looking that particular week on the bay.
If I could obtain this car,I would pay that much,$25-30k even if this whole Moparts forum agreed that it was only worth that much restored,I would be proud to own it regardless,even at a so called loss.You are not talking about any more you are going to see,that is it,I would love to have something noone else does,regardless of its estimated value.
Again,would sell the Superbird instead of this car,be different!!!

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: HPMike] #1138092
12/23/11 12:19 AM
12/23/11 12:19 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
Quote:

My OPINION is that Andy Masny or Tom Cannon must own this car! Knowing these guys, they would do the car it's proper justice. C'mon guys, start selling your junk and get it going.. This is the Holy Grail..

MB

I totally agree. But Andy loves his wife, and he can't get lucky with the RR. I love the car. I think it's the Holy Grail of 72's as well. Great color, great engine, trans and rear...but the roof, that's the coolest !! Guy's even in this economy that thing has to be worth at least 50. Somebody would not, in myopinion, buy the car and restore it for an investment. You buy the 71/72 Plymouth B Bodies for the love of the car. I never knew they built a 71 Hemi GTX with a sunroof, so I threw a Hemi in mine. There are many 72 Road Runners out there, and many have their numbers parts still. There are even more without their numbers parts. That being said, the cool factor only goes so far in the world of real money exchanging hands. I changed my mind. $35 as is(EDIT--back to 50, this thing has a ton of cool factors). Add the NOS stuff, tack on another 5-10K. I obviously am in love with the body style. I've had my 71 Sunroof GTX for 29 years. Good luck, cool car. I say Andy or one of the Cannons should park it in their garage. Who knows, maybe it could be the next F.A.S.T. record holder?

Last edited by sunroofgtx; 12/23/11 05:08 AM.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: EV2 AAR] #1138093
12/23/11 12:37 AM
12/23/11 12:37 AM
Alabama
BigMoneyLewis Offline
master
BigMoneyLewis  Offline
master

Alabama
I have thought about these '72 V codes alot over the past 20 years or so , and have felt that a fair value would be approx tripple that of a '71 B body V code , whatever the market value was at that time.
This car in question, would , for a lack of a better term, "stand the Mopar community on it's ear ". FEW cars will ever come out of the woodwork with this much weight . By this time, Most of your rarites and oddballs have come out and been made public. The four door hemis ,
the 68 Coronet Hemi (non-R/T) The '70 Charger 500 Hemi , etc.
The list of those yet to bask in the sunlight are on a very short list . The two '71 Hemi Challenger convertibles (non-R/Ts) the '72 Hemi 'Cuda we keep hearing about, and of course the V code '70 Sport Fury GTs are all yet to be accepted by the general car enthusiest ,
and are all virtually unknown to most of the world.
The '72 Six Pack Rallye Chargers and the '72 Six Barrel Road Runner GTX fall into this catgory as well .
Never been a restored example (or even a non-restored driver) in a magazine, or car show . The former Ron Slobe Charger got a write up many years ago in the mags , but it was a non-running car .
Back to the subject car . What would it be worth as it sits ? I think most of us here with enough knowledge would agree 40k minimum .
What would it be worth done ? I agree with the 125-150k estimate .
What someone is willing to pay ? Who knows . The general population doesn't know an export tag from a box of tampons , so lord only knows
what would happen if the cars price had to be established in an auction format .
Just my opinions.

Greg

gregward@mchsi.com phone 256-852-0955
Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: BigMoneyLewis] #1138094
12/23/11 01:05 AM
12/23/11 01:05 AM
Emmett michigan
S
srtchallenger Offline
srtchallenger  Offline
S

Emmett michigan
I remember when I was kid I ran into a guy in Clinton township Michigan that had a lime green superbird in his driveway. I stopped and talked to the guy and he told me about the 1972 6 pack rallye charger he had yellow. He told me there where 7 6pack cars made in 1972 and I have been searching for years never seen another until now. It doesn't mater what color the car is I could live with any color! I would love to have this car in any color..........

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: sunroofgtx] #1138095
12/23/11 04:40 AM
12/23/11 04:40 AM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

My OPINION is that Andy Masny or Tom Cannon must own this car! Knowing these guys, they would do the car it's proper justice. C'mon guys, start selling your junk and get it going.. This is the Holy Grail..

MB

I totally agree. But Andy loves his wife, and he can't get lucky with the RR.

Yes Rich, but look at it this way..There are only two of these on the planet. Women are as common as rocks, and a new model doesn't have to have all of its original equiipment-just has to look good.

MB

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: HPMike] #1138096
12/23/11 08:42 AM
12/23/11 08:42 AM
Fargo ND
M
moparphilll Offline
master
moparphilll  Offline
master
M

Fargo ND
When you own a car like Larry's 72 that is a low production # car most people assume it is a clone. 90% of the public can't read a fender tag or really care about the production #'s. This car has the Best colors and great options and top it off with the 440+6 on the hood it would be an AWESOME ride. DON'T SELL get it on the road as is, ENJOY it a little, then decide. You will be amazed how much people will love the car in UNRESTORED condition. They will walk right by the $100,000 resto to look at the dings and dent and original paint of a 40 year old Mopar! I take my unrestored 71 hemi out and it does just that...

6980430-IMG_0211.JPG (125 downloads)
Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: moparphilll] #1138097
12/23/11 10:38 AM
12/23/11 10:38 AM
Manistee, Michigan.
High Impact Offline
pro stock
High Impact  Offline
pro stock

Manistee, Michigan.
Quote:

When you own a car like Larry's 72 that is a low production # car most people assume it is a clone. 90% of the public can't read a fender tag or really care about the production #'s. This car has the Best colors and great options and top it off with the 440+6 on the hood it would be an AWESOME ride. DON'T SELL get it on the road as is, ENJOY it a little, then decide. You will be amazed how much people will love the car in UNRESTORED condition. They will walk right by the $100,000 resto to look at the dings and dent and original paint of a 40 year old Mopar! I take my unrestored 71 hemi out and it does just that...

Agreed! How much money and effort would it take to put the 72 dated motor in the car and drive it as is? It seems like it'd be worth doing...........Granted if you did sell it someone would end up taking it all apart and what you did spend would mostly be for nothing but It sure would be sweet to drive the car, even for a short time. Then if you decided you really want to sell it then fine.

PLUS, right now it seems socially aceptable to drive cars with a "Patina" to them, hell, I too would walk past a row of restored car's to see what's so special about a faded ole GTX sitting at the end of a row. ~check this out....the only 72 6-pack GTX in the world!...............Yup, I can hear it now (how cool would that be)

Good luck in what-ever you decide!

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: High Impact] #1138098
12/23/11 10:50 AM
12/23/11 10:50 AM
Mopar World Headquarters
P1970HeMICuDA Offline
super stock
P1970HeMICuDA  Offline
super stock

Mopar World Headquarters
Larry, can you post the pics of the car on the trailer - I remember seeing them years ago....

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: P1970HeMICuDA] #1138099
12/23/11 10:52 AM
12/23/11 10:52 AM
Berwyn, IL
M
Moparlar Offline OP
super stock
Moparlar  Offline OP
super stock
M

Berwyn, IL
my sig pic

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: Moparlar] #1138100
12/23/11 11:09 AM
12/23/11 11:09 AM
Mopar World Headquarters
P1970HeMICuDA Offline
super stock
P1970HeMICuDA  Offline
super stock

Mopar World Headquarters
Thanks Lar -had that turned off.....for anybody else....

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: P1970HeMICuDA] #1138101
12/23/11 12:51 PM
12/23/11 12:51 PM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

A good long read...but has anyone forked over any cash yet for the great car that needs to be saved here???

And the only other thing I can say is everyone acts like this car just popped up, clearly this car is semi well known I find it odd the owner dont have a "call me first" list of possible buyers.

Read from page one on up, the car goes from ok to some to great from the same later in the post.

All the posts about the motor trans being removed, the car might of been set to be crushed...baaa.

Not putting the car on ebay????? We all see and complain of what overpriced junk sells for, so still why not put a crazy reserve and look for the check writer?

But here again, I dont see the car snatched up yet...reading all the posts I still dont think anyone here has an idea what its worth, its the amount that changes hands is what matters, this post and all the rest concerning this car is internet fodder.

I dont see any posts that ma mopar or any auto related museum is beating the doors down for this car so time will tell when, where and what happens to this car.

Im just waiting for one of these experts to write the 45k check and go from there....I dont see it happening.

What really are the pros and cons of this car? Start a list....

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: quick77rt ] #1138102
12/23/11 01:53 PM
12/23/11 01:53 PM
NY
70440+6bbl Offline
master
70440+6bbl  Offline
master

NY
Quote:

A good long read...but has anyone forked over any cash yet for the great car that needs to be saved here???

And the only other thing I can say is everyone acts like this car just popped up, clearly this car is semi well known I find it odd the owner dont have a "call me first" list of possible buyers.

Read from page one on up, the car goes from ok to some to great from the same later in the post.

All the posts about the motor trans being removed, the car might of been set to be crushed...baaa.

Not putting the car on ebay????? We all see and complain of what overpriced junk sells for, so still why not put a crazy reserve and look for the check writer?

But here again, I dont see the car snatched up yet...reading all the posts I still dont think anyone here has an idea what its worth, its the amount that changes hands is what matters, this post and all the rest concerning this car is internet fodder.

I dont see any posts that ma mopar or any auto related museum is beating the doors down for this car so time will tell when, where and what happens to this car.

Im just waiting for one of these experts to write the 45k check and go from there....I dont see it happening.

Maybe he has been offered $45k and that isn't the # in his head that will take the car???

Maybe he hasn't really decided to let it go yet???

Deals on more expensive cars don't happen within a few days, I have bought and sold cars in the higher price range and usually there is long distance involved, banking issues, etc...

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: ryangtogtx] #1138103
12/23/11 02:01 PM
12/23/11 02:01 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

Quote:

ev2 aar,, what do you value this car,, AS is,, and finished? or what would you be willing to pay/offer,, since you have a gtx n96 etc..

As is, I would put a price of around 40-45K. Maybe 50 if it comes with all of the NOS parts he has stocked up. Finished, I would value it at 125-150K. Rare and desireable don't always intersect, but in this case they come very close. If there are 11 '71 Hemi Cudas converts and only one known '72 440+6 RR with desireable options, it makes you stop to think hard. BIG money collectors drool over the opportunity to own something nobody else does and I also think this body style is just beginning to get the respect it deserves so there could be alot of upside in this car even at a 50K buy-in.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: DPelletier] #1138104
12/23/11 02:22 PM
12/23/11 02:22 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
i think its worth around the high end coin mentioned here
and the main reason is not for what it is!!!!...

you can argue about its a less wanted 72,missing its orig motor or anything else
what you cannot dismiss or blow smoke over is

just look at the attention it attracts!

imo
that adds a extra intrinsic value
you cannot/will not get with most other cars....
and it out weighs the negatives by alot.

to put a number on that is hard and will depend
on how bad the next owner wants alot of attention..

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: DPelletier] #1138105
12/23/11 02:27 PM
12/23/11 02:27 PM
midwest
68427vette Offline
top fuel
68427vette  Offline
top fuel

midwest
remember GOVERNOR GALEN said 1 of 1,(of known , some may be hiding), and now i'm reading 6-7 produced? and what is the one in the AD picture? with the stripes?

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: 68427vette] #1138106
12/23/11 03:06 PM
12/23/11 03:06 PM
east coast
E
EV2 AAR Offline
EV2 AAR  Offline
E

east coast
Hence what I said,the superbird would be long gone first,and keep this one.You can always get another bird later,tons are always for sale,and ntm,coming back to reality where they should be as well as alot of other Mopars.
And if what some of you project for value is true ,then this 72 V code runner on the average would/could be worth more than a restored superbird.
Now its a no brainer,I say again,keep it and restore Moparlar !!!!!If not,you could be seeing this car restored and flipped across the stages of BJ,Mecum,etc..!!!!!

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: 70440+6bbl] #1138107
12/23/11 05:21 PM
12/23/11 05:21 PM
home of the Buckeyes
Butterscotch71 Offline
Lost Title
Butterscotch71  Offline
Lost Title

home of the Buckeyes
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe he has been offered $45k and that isn't the # in his head that will take the car???

Maybe he hasn't really decided to let it go yet???

Deals on more expensive cars don't happen within a few days, I have bought and sold cars in the higher price range and usually there is long distance involved, banking issues, etc...

Also, it seems to me Larry is interested in it going to someone who will appreciate it for what it is IF he decides to sell it, not just sell it on ebay to the highest anonymous bidder. Remember, this started out as a WIW post, not a for sale ad...

addict:to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively ....hmmmm
Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: Butterscotch71] #1138108
12/23/11 07:34 PM
12/23/11 07:34 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
I think it still is a what is it worth. My guess is Larry appreciates a little bit of feed back on what others think and feel about the car. This is one that does not come up ever day and I think chewing the fat about it before making decisions would be the logical thing to do. I actually hope he decides to finish what he started, he's earned it.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: Moparlar] #1138109
12/23/11 07:41 PM
12/23/11 07:41 PM
Berwyn, IL
M
Moparlar Offline OP
super stock
Moparlar  Offline OP
super stock
M

Berwyn, IL
Well I am probably going to disapoint some people but I think I have decided to go through all my parts this next week while I am off work and see exactly what I have. Part of the problem is I have been buying parts for years and I have boxes that I have not even opened yet. I am going to try and get some rough quotes on paint and body work. So I want to thank all of you for the replies but after thinking about this for a week I think if anything was going to happen I will sell the Bird and do the 72. How can I let go a 1 of 1 car when I can always buy another Bird. Of course now I have to try and find someone that I can work with and trust for the body work.

Larry

Re: WIW 72 roadrunner 6pack car [Re: Moparlar] #1138110
12/23/11 08:27 PM
12/23/11 08:27 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
I am glad Larry, I think you made the right decision
There very well could have been some regrets selling it.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19