11/13/11 11:00 PM
11/13/11 11:00 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
As some of you know my mum, the only remaining close family member to me, lost her battle against cancer earlier this year. It has been a rocky ride to say the least and I really needed to get away from it all. I always wanted to visit Detroit in the worst way (only been there for one day earlier), see the Woodward Dream Cruise and combine those with the MoPar Nats and other stuff. My mother would have wanted to make another trip with me to the US as well (we have been to CA & HI, driven cross country twice and visited FL on three different trips) and in a way we did...she loved America and American cars as well. This one was for you mum, I owe you a lot!

I will list a lot of pics in this thread and try to include some background info as well. I am by no means an authority for example on Detroit history so comments and additional info is always welcome. I did accomplish a lot but unfortunately I had to cut off my west coast part of the trip...it got hectic and expensive without it and on top of that I got a huge reduction in working hours when I got back so in the end it was for the best. But this wasn't about being sensible, it was about a MoPar obsession that just doesn't let go. Still hoping to scrape enough money to put together my 500 cube stroker that has been in storage in a members garage for a long time as well meet him and other nice MoPar folks on the west coast. At least I got an induction system and a block for it at the Nats so now almost all pieces are there
I will post some pics from the Nats and Woodward Dream Cruise but try to keep it down as there is so much to post...I will be posting some brand X stuff as well as C-bodies and oddballs, stuff that I like. There will also be some Hudson and Studebaker stuff posted...but none of that furrin stuff So, bear with me, this will take awhile...it is 4AM here and I have to get to work but I hope to complete this story in a few days. Picture requests are OK, I took 5000 of them so I might have something that was around but not posted. Here we go...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113120
11/13/11 11:35 PM
11/13/11 11:35 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
There was some difficulty in finding a two car trailer for rent but our own (now mellowed out I hear ) Rhinodart came to rescue and I even ended up using his trucks on my trip! Much appreciated Sir! Here he comes to meet me in the Windy City! I had a feeling that this will be good and I was right!

Passing the Belvidere plant was another good sign right in the beginning!

Some people would call Rhino a hoarder but I would call him a saviour...this pretty sweet Belvedere was going to the crusher but he managed to find a new caretaker for it for a very reasonable amount of money

Someone else got a good deal on this 4-speed Dana GTX with a bunch of new sheetmetal...will be a sweet ride!

I'd say this is a keeper..but then again I'm a C-body guy!

A-bodys everywhere...this would make a sweet ride;

Some cars you sell, some cars you buy...I would have bought this Hemi Dart too given the chance

This garage definitely had a lot of goodies, how about a 440 Cuda;

And what's this?? A genuine MrNorms Paxton blown Demon;

It wasn't all fun and games, we had to work too Here is an original paint 440 Dart from Grand-Spaulding being moved to a new facility;

A short stop at MrNorms HQ

And the totally awesome new place in downtown Rockford, IL! I'd kill for that place...sadly it pretty much killed old Mr Strandquist when the gubmint took it away from him...more on the history of this beautiful complex later!

Yes, those are the original floor tiles from the 40:s...

The second floor;

In one of Rhinos many stashes we find this schweet Sweptline big block that he uses for pushing celebrities around

Can't complete a day without checking out a Chrysler dealership

Stay tuned, lots of interesting stuff to come!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113121
11/13/11 11:36 PM
11/13/11 11:36 PM
Madera, CA.
MowP4rsn Offline
master
MowP4rsn  Offline
master

Madera, CA.
Sorry to hear about your loss, but as you state surely your mum would approve.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: MowP4rsn] #1113122
11/13/11 11:43 PM
11/13/11 11:43 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your loss, but as you state surely your mum would approve.

Well, she always thought that I was a bit nutty about it all (you don't know me, I'm as bad as Jim lol) but as time went on she understood that I got such a kick out of this stuff that few people do and that childlike enthusiasm tend to keep us healthy and sane...even if it is a bit insane Thank you for the kind words
You might like to see what I got out of Tennessee btw..takes a while to get to that point though...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113123
11/14/11 12:58 AM
11/14/11 12:58 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
I didn't know RhinoDart was a Bogger, how cool! what's your tag?

-Daty

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Daty Rogers] #1113124
11/14/11 01:28 AM
11/14/11 01:28 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Hi Hans, it was great to have you here and I had a fun time! It is cool to find another brother from a different mother, and it sounds like you had a cool one! I look forward (pun intended) to more pictures, and wish you could have had the time to finish your quest out west, but I hope to finish it for you soon. I am currently in California but won't have time this week, but will be back in two weeks and maybe I can get the rest of your "stuff" secured. Talk with you soon! Khoooooooollll.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Rhinodart] #1113125
11/14/11 02:12 AM
11/14/11 02:12 AM
The Sierras
L
LAST440 Offline
super stock
LAST440  Offline
super stock
L

The Sierras
Hello Hans,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Look forward (or Forward Looking)

to the rest of your album.

Truckin' Thru Life
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: LAST440] #1113126
11/14/11 03:42 AM
11/14/11 03:42 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
Hans, I for one understand, Robyn helped me so much with mom's passing, ya'll helped me with hers. Sorry, really not trying to be a downer here. A passing in the family is so wrought with grief and questioning. At least that is what I have experienced. VERY happy both of you had good times. I understand wanting to step away, done it 3 times to Colorado to see Anna (my only remaining family member) since she passed. I miss her, I love her, and sorry posts like this really gets to me, if I don't speak I'll spirial.

-Daty

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Daty Rogers] #1113127
11/14/11 10:11 AM
11/14/11 10:11 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Hey Jim, I wish I'd be back already! Next time we have to hit the yards fer sure fer sure!! Can't believe I spent 4 weeks in the US and didn't see any...maybe I'm just too old, slow and lazy? Sure appreciate the help with my stuff, you're the man! Talk later!

Jeff, good to hear from you, I was actually hoping to meet you again on this trip but unfortunately I had to leave west coast out at the last minute. One day I'll come your way, that's a fact! Hope you'll enjoy the pics, there are lots of them!

Daty, sorry about your hardships, sometimes it is hard just to get to the next day. There is another side of the coin though, people who suffer a lot when tragedy happens are also the ones that are able to enjoy life in a greater way. It might not help right now but it is fortunate to be able to live life to the fullest when you can. There are so many people that search their whole life for something they don't even recognize themselves. Often those people don't get real kicks from anything. There will be better times my friend and you are a person that can truly appreciate them I have been down a few times myself and without MoPars it would have been very difficult to survive. But the sun will come up one day no matter how dark it seems at the moment.

OK, let's look at them pitchers!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113128
11/14/11 10:44 AM
11/14/11 10:44 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
OK, spent a few fun filled days in the Chicago area and now we are off to the Nats! Jim is driving the Challenger convertible part of the way to pick up the toterhome on the way, I got to drive the V10 Ram...

Setting up shop in a primo spot...those who are too slow to vanish into thin air get to help Jim with the awning...and if there's not enough orders from Jim their's a cool MoPar chick in position to keep eyes on everybody. Is this a professional setup or what?

All kidding aside, in 2007 I was lucky enough to see the Dragmaster Dart at the Petersen Museum and even meet Dode Martin at his home...who would have believed that 4 years later I'll be pushing this thing around and keep it clean?

There aren't many things in this world that sound better than a cross ram Hemi...

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/norm-hemi-dart.html

I am not that big on the new stuff but I have to say that the new Chargers are truly amazing cars to drive...I wonder how many would be sold in Europe without the huge trade barriers??

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113129
11/14/11 10:59 AM
11/14/11 10:59 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Here's a few cool MoPars at the Nats;

It is amazing how many repro parts have popped up in the recent years;

Genuine Michigan State Police '68 Fury with the cool lighted stop sign they've used for ages...serious drooling in process;

Anyone have an extra set of these wheels and/or hubcaps? Give me a holler...

Loved this color combo, stunning!

If it's a rare A-body Jim has probably owned it, going to buy it or it is in someway on his radar screen. In this case it was the first option;

Lots of cool cars at the Hampton Inn in the evening;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113130
11/14/11 11:21 AM
11/14/11 11:21 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
More Nats stuff, Indy displayed a lot of items for sale including complete engines;

Many aftermarket editions of Chrysler products were on display;

Here's a time machine;

Res Ipsa Loquitor (it speaks for itself) as Al Eckstrand called his Max Wedge, can be applied to these;

This was a very reasonably priced Hemi car...and super solid too;

Drool...

Christmas is soon here

Not many Forward Look cars present but here is a beautiful 1960 Chrysler 300F;

And a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere in beautiful colors, luckily all of these aren't red and white...

Yup, that'd be me with Mr Norm Kraus himself, thank you Sir for your time!

A cool story...I wish more people would write about the history of their car;

Not many Hemi cars left like this;

Got a few engine swap kits from the good people at Schumacher Creative Services;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113131
11/14/11 11:39 AM
11/14/11 11:39 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
OK, here's still a few from the Nats, I could post a hundred more as many cool ones are left out but it would be too much. I think? lol

Was this RR in PHR back in the 80:s? I do remember one with Centerlines, a white interior and the same stance;

The A&A Transmission guys had so much goodies on display...I couldn't resist their offer on the Max Wedge intake package and there went my budget...lol!

Sometimes people tell me that I'm more American than most Americans which I think is a nice compliment but the guy who painted the Loco Challenger (in the background)is more of a genuine surfer dude than anyone else...and he hasn't even been in California! Far out man!!

You don't see too many nice 1967 New Yorker 2dHT:s..loved this one;

OK, in with the 426Hemi, 440 block, buckets and bench seats, corning glass, Max Wedge induction system and a ton of other stuff...we're outta here!

Next stop: The Motor City!!!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113132
11/14/11 12:39 PM
11/14/11 12:39 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
That looks like one hell of a good time.

Jim actually let you drive the cars and helped ya out?...lol

Should see the dealership now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157627533541538/

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113133
11/14/11 12:42 PM
11/14/11 12:42 PM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Great pictures and stories...and I am so glad you got to see the Woodward Dream Cruise, there really isn't anything else like it in the world.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113134
11/14/11 12:48 PM
11/14/11 12:48 PM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline

Here
Awesome pics - thanks! Looks like a great trip.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: DirectSubjection] #1113135
11/14/11 02:27 PM
11/14/11 02:27 PM
Charleston, South Carolina
67RT Offline
pro stock
67RT  Offline
pro stock

Charleston, South Carolina
I'm looking forward to more updates. Lots of nice cars in those pictures.

1968 Fury III Convertible - 383 4bbl - 4-speed - Black
- SOLD and going down under.

1967 Coronet R/T - 440 - 4-speed - Dana 60 - Red - FOR SALE

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: 67RT] #1113136
11/14/11 11:02 PM
11/14/11 11:02 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Ahhh the memories when I used to have a job. At least you got a pic of my good side!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: 67RT] #1113137
11/14/11 11:40 PM
11/14/11 11:40 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Thanks for the kind words! I'm going to try to keep this stuff in order somehow but Photobucket really messes up everything in the upload process and looks like some pics have not uploaded at all...

Anyway, Detroit next...spent a week in the area but I could have stayed for months! What an amazing place, so rich in history! A perfect start on a MoPar forum is the former GM headquarters, now renamed Cadillac Place. Just standing on the sidewalk looking at this amazing structure by Albert Kahn (so unlike his factories) makes you realize the proportions of Detroit success in the beginning of the 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Place

Just across the street we find the Fisher Building (of the Fisher Body fame);

http://www.historicdetroit.org/building/fisher-building/

These were in the New Center area a bit north from downtown where the new GM headquarters are;

If one travels a bit north from downtown on Woodward Avenue Woodlawn Cemetary is on the left. Here you can see the Dodge Brothers mausoleum and many others, it is a really beautiful cemetary.

http://www.woodlawncemeterydetroit.com/

There must be a ton of old dealerships like this old Chrysler/Marmon dealer on Cass still around, I would have liked to hunt for them more but there simply wasn't time, a few famous ones will be coming up though. Preston Tucker used to work here, he also studied at nearby Cass Tech. Unfortunately they moved recently to a new building and the old one was torn down. Cass Motors still seemed to have a lot of the old details intact inside the building, it is hard to witness such rich history disappearing. It was owned by Dagleish Cadillac just up the street which was unfortunateley forced to close shop by the gubmint. Maybe it will be renovated though, there is a ton of cool stuff just in this little part of Detroit, check this link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam_Historic_District

http://detnews.com/article/20100119/OPINION03/1190358/End-of-the-road-for-Dalgleish-Cadillac

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM7X3J_Cass_Motor_Sales_Detroit_Michigan

Next up some car pics for those that don't like to look at old buildings...but there will be more on those too later

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113138
11/15/11 12:31 AM
11/15/11 12:31 AM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
DirectSubjection  Offline

Here
Cool!

Here's an old Chrysler dealership in my state - its for rent now, love to find a pic of it functional. The little showroom isn't a pentagon, but from the road it sure looks like one.

If I was wealthy, I'd love to rent this building as a Chrysler resto shop.

6919991-dealership.jpg (249 downloads)

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6