11/19/11 07:53 AM
11/19/11 07:53 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Behind the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum is the National Auto and Truck Museum. This is one big place and it is housed in the old ACD facilities that are too cool themselves. A lot of vehicles here and an amazing die cast collection. It is also a superb place if you like International trucks, a lot of factory prototypes and other oddities on the lower level along with a number of Scouts. Highly recommended!

www.http://natmus.org/

The Chrysler Sno-Runners are everywhere! I did see one at the Nats too...still bugs me that I didn't buy it...but I really didn't have the money anyway..sigh.

Not your ordinary Chrysler Crate Engine;

I had to fly out of Auburn and I still couldn't find the 6th gear in the Dodge. Lol. When you go past 70 this thing is really starting to suck down gas like there is no tomorrow with 4.10:s in the back. Luckily gas isn't 9 bucks a gallon like back home but it still puts a hurtin when you rack up about 10,000 miles in a month and have noone to share the costs with. Well, enough whining, I have to be in Chicago tonight and I am NOT going to miss the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana! Sorry Jim for being so late, you live in the wrong part of town...well...maybe not...I spent one night in a motel in Gary, Indiana many years ago...no offense if someone here lives there but I don't have much desire to go back...anyways, I had less than an hour at the museum and that is a bit hectic even for me! Again another place were there is a lot to see and learn from the various photo displays on the walls and the whole thing is extremely well put together. Studebaker was a diversified industrial giant that once also owned such famous names as STP, Paxton and Onan. I did also get a fast guidance to the remaining Studebaker facilities nearby, much appreciated! I wasn't at all prepared for this area but on the other and there wasn't time to see too much either. Looks like I have to come back here too...

www.http://studebakermuseum.org/

An Avanti that made some fast runs at Bonneville;

A lineup of Studebakers at a drive in, a South Bend landmark is seen in the background;

In the basement a lot of cool cars including factory prototypes are stacked on two levels;

I guess it is not widely known that the Humvees and Hummers are actually a part of the Jeep legacy with a fascinating history of companies merging over the years. AM General used to be owned by American Motors, read the history here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_General
http://www.amgeneral.com/

Just beside the museum is this magnificent structure, the original Studebaker Mansion, now a fine restaurant. Take the tour on their website;

http://www.tippe.com/

Sadly some of the old factory buildings were being demolished during my visit. I was too much in a hurry to pursue my brick fetish, anyone in South Bend wanna send me one?

Luckily some of the other facilities are still in use and in pretty nice shape. If I would have unlimited funds I'd buy this place, have my cars on the first floor and live on the second. Nirvana.

I can already see the Short Ram 413 equipped 1961 Dodge roll out of this door with open headers echoing in the night...

Although the new museum is beautiful I would have preferred that the whole thing would have been located in old corporate facilities instead. In fact, the collection used to be in this old administration building at one time, it is still in very good shape and only a couple of blocks from the museum. The above factory building is in the background;

OK, let's keep flying low, Chicago, here we come!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113200
11/19/11 09:22 AM
11/19/11 09:22 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
I did get to Chicago really late and Jim hadn't slept in a good while so he wasn't too happy about us having to go for a major drive still that night to change trucks. He did what had to be done though, I do appreciate it! I needed to get to Tennessee fast in order to have time for my other plans for the coming weekend...but there was some more logistics that needed to be sorted out. US Nationals was approaching and Jim needed to get his 1969 Dodge there...and the NHRA Safety Safari car. How would that work out? Well, let's just say that if a guy from a faraway land would transport the Safety Safari car to Indy he'd have memories for a lifetime! The pic is taken at the Z-Alt Musclecar Oil Distributon Center, try their stuff;

www.z-alt.com

Tennessee, here we come;

I know a guy who is a big time farmer (by our standards, I guess 3000 acres is a hobby farm in the US) back home and since he is born in 1967 he has been thinking a long time about getting a C-body from 1967. He works way too much, at least 100 hours every week and has never had a holiday so I thought it might be good to get him something to balance that off...hopefully he doesn't take that hobby time away from sleeping hours though? The 1967 300 wasn't perfect but with a bit of work it will be a nice summer cruiser and it is loaded with options starting with the 440TNT engine. This car did cost almost the same as three base Valiants back in the day. It still had the original window sticker and was always a local car;

The one thing that got me into trouble was that the guy selling the 300 also had a 1967 New Yorker 2dHT for next to nothing. His dad who used to own the cars, had passed away and this project was never completed. Of the 67-68 Chryslers the 67 NY has always been my favorite and since the only offer had been from a derby guy I simply had to drag it home so it would be saved. What can I say, I'm a sick sick man.

Drive that old Chrysler to Mexico, boy! Well, not quite but I was headed to Houston, Texas which is good for a ZZ Top fan too;

If you ever get to Houston with a trailer, don't be lazy and tired like me and rely on the GPS. First time around I used the Sam Houston Tollway and just to get to the other side of Houston was $20!!

Since I am a trucker I wanted to see The Great American Trucking Show in Dallas the next day. I was so tired that I just took off the Interstate at a Super 8 a bit south from city center and later when I checked the area on the internet it had a lot of vehicle break-ins in the motel parking lot and was not recomended. Well, I was lucky and nothing happened. The trucking show was amazing and one can only imagine what it takes to detail these besats to this degree;

Gotta dig those twin stick transmissions!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ffkS37miQ

Lots of cool stuff here including this Bonneville Studebaker familiar from many major magazines;

Being again an old school guy this 3 million mile Kenworth was my favorite;

Lots of cool trucks humming away in the parking lot (with courtesy buses running non stop to the show) in the 104 degree heat;

The best part of the day is still ahead though including a really historic finding from Chrysler's racing days in the 60:s!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113201
11/19/11 11:10 AM
11/19/11 11:10 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
After the truck show I went to see Scott who runs the Sweptline website and forum. He is the man if you ever need parts for your 1961-71 Dodge truck. He also lives like he teaches, the D200 crew with D100 axles in the foreground is what he tools around in!

http://www.sweptline.org/
http://www.sweptlineparts.com/

These trucks are so cool, I was drooling as there were a lot of hard to find parts here;

I had a plan for the evening and Scott was not the man to say no. There had been rumours for a long time that the short wheelbase (and wilder) version of the Max Wedge D100 The Dragmaster company built and San Diego Radio personality Dick Boynton raced in the early 60:s, would be somewhere in Texas. Recently a guy had been posting about such a truck on the Sweptline Forum but there were no pics. I had been nuts about these trucks for 30 years and gathered a bunch of info on them as well as having been gathering parts for a replica of the first, longbed, version. So, it is investigation time! We really didn't know what to expect although we gathered that the truck would be somewhat dismantled. Here's a few historical pics of the SWB one from back in the day;

Read more about these and Dragmasters here, scroll down;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247089&page=85
and here, although the 1967 book gives you the impression that there was only one truck which is wrong;
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/spectrucks.html
http://www.sweptline.com/hist/rtest3.html

Gotta love the "Cowboy-rake" which was so typical for the early 60:s!

This is the longbed version but a very cool Chrysler video;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUfNoR7LkI

We were really wound up when we got to right place, would this really be it?? And yes, it was!! How often do you stumble on a real deal B/FX truck?? It is really sad that the truck has been dismantled by apparently someone who didn't have a clue what they were doing (it wasn't the owner) but even so, this was the real deal, no doubt about it! It was all in pieces and the frame had been blasted, luckily the body was not. Doing a bit of washing we found the old lettering still intact (doesn't show too good in this pic)!

The bed with it's special air scoop just beside the cab was further evidence. It looks like the truck simply had the lettering painted over, that was all. You can still see the stripes on the cab roof! I was also wondering about the fact that one member on Moparts remembered this truck being red? Maybe it was when it was last raced, at least the lower part along with the stripes. Both of these trucks changed the lettering and such several times!

The frame was blasted but it clearly showed all the modifications still including the tow tabs...the towbar and the specially made fiberglass hood were gone though...they were stored in an airplane and forgotten in it when it was sold?!! How's that for an unlikely story!?

I have my suspicions that these trucks were actually owned by Chrysler and the high class fiberglass work would support that. How about that slightly broken grille, it is fiberglass too!! Why even bother? And those inner fenders are not broken, they are of fiberglass and made like that for fenderwell headers! The front fenders, radiator support and bumper complete the beautifully made package.

Being my weird self I had to make this shot. After 30 years of looking I am holding the very same door handle Dick Boynton used when going racing in this beast!

Quite an evening! Although there were some unfortunate steps in taking this truck apart there is no doubt that the current owner did the Chrysler community a great favor by hanging on to it for a very long time! We can only hope that a true Chrysler lover will take the time and money to do this truck right at some point. We already made some arrangements with Scott to that direction but it seems uncertain if the current owner will let it go for a reasonable price. Maybe he gets it restored, I don't know? I only hope that there will be high caliber Chrysler experts around when it happens.

I thank Scott for a great time and head towards Houston again, time for one hour of sleep at the motel as it got a bit late again and I had to leave the rig pretty much in the middle of the parking lot, lol. I had bought a 1967 D200 crew Sweptline longbed from Scott a long time ago and had to haul it to the shipper. I actually wanted to get a 1962-64 W200 Power Wagon Sweptline Crew longbed but it being a factory streched special order vehicle I had pretty much given up hope. But as it turns out, there is one out there...don't fail me now Jim!!

BTW, if somebody has an extra set of those huge optional west coast truck mirrors let me know!! From Houston I'm heading to one of Jims stashes in Indiana. Gotta give the man a hand, his friends disappear when the hard work starts

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113202
11/19/11 07:03 PM
11/19/11 07:03 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Driving through the night again (great way of saving in motel room fees is to sleep every other night only ) I arrived so much before Jim that I had time for a one-hour nap at a gas station. Sleeping sitting up is also easier when it comes to waking up. I need a blown Hemi to roar in my ear anyway to wake up so you gotta think ahead One thing in this hobby seems to be the same wherever you are. If you like to collect a lot of this stuff (and I mean a lot) you are bound to have it moved way more than you would like. If I wouldn't be a truckdriver and have access to even big rigs for free I would have collapsed not only physically but also financially in these ordeals. Luckily we only did a small project with Jim, we filled an enclosed trailer with parts and also loaded up a Dart convertible and the totally cool big block crew cab dually for a trip towards the Chicago suburbs. Piece of cake! I really don't mind the work, it is always neat to look at all the cool stuff! And Jim has a lot of it at this location too!

Back in Chicago we went to look at the newly opened MrNorms facility in Rockford. So cool that the building got a new chance and even Chrysler products in it again!

http://www.mrnormsgarage.com/

Here's a look at a 900hp beast that has a Dana conversion, thought it might be of interest;

If you buy a GOOD air conditioning unit you don't have to use your hard earned cash for another new one every year. Yup, that's a Chrysler made Airtemp unit!

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/airtemp.php

Some priceless shots from Mr Strandquists album (thank you Sir!), including this fantastic shot of Sox & Martin doing the Plymouth Super Car Clinics in the same spot as the modern Cuda Sox & Martin tribute car is!!!

My God, I have walked here...53 years too late...drool..drool...drool.. Look at that fantastic brand spanking new 1957 DeSoto Adventurer!! Talk about a rare car...

An awesome shot of 1962 Plymouth Patrollers for the Rockford Police I assume? As it happens, I did take a pic of their Crown Vics..a bit worried about what is coming next?

Mr Strandquist got the first one off the line at the nearby Belvidere plant...

Beep beep! Look at the Fury in the back...

More work, there was a Hot Rod Magazine photoshoot scheduled and we took two cars to the dragstrip for it;

A lot of whining on the way about the new Ford...I was amazed how bad of a product it is compared to the Dodges and Chevys..nothing seemed to be as it should. But then again, I think Ford has always made a lot of cheap feeling products in general.

A pro at work...I hope it is OK to post this pic...in case some of you wonder, I have been trying to ask everybody permission to post their stuff and what is OK to tell. I don't want to use anyones trust in the wrong way.

Evening is here but we had time to stop at this old Chrysler dealership which was pretty cool but way overpriced;

Luedtke Auto Group has been discussed here before so no need for that now;

Not many drive-in theaters left but here is one;

Coming up; a new day and new adventures

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113203
11/19/11 07:48 PM
11/19/11 07:48 PM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Quote:

But then again, I think Ford has always made a lot of cheap feeling products in general.

...I agree, and I will have to show this to my brother, who is a design engineer at Ford.
My husband works for Chrysler so there is some friendly family rivalry that goes on.

Awesome pics once again!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113204
11/19/11 08:22 PM
11/19/11 08:22 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Quote:

But then again, I think Ford has always made a lot of cheap feeling products in general.

...I agree, and I will have to show this to my brother, who is a design engineer at Ford.
My husband works for Chrysler so there is some friendly family rivalry that goes on.

Awesome pics once again!

LOL, that should get some conversation going! Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113205
11/20/11 10:07 AM
11/20/11 10:07 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Jim had agreed to transport a cool Dodge 4x4 to a buyer and the guy who sold it had lots of goodies in his garage. If you wonder where this is going;

This is the answer;

In the early 80:s when I was in highschool there was a book wholesale company next door to my school. Used to go there often with a friend of mine to check out the new automotive titles in general. I had already become a Forward Look fan and bought my first MoPar at the age of 15, a four door 65 Dart. This was the age before the internet so besides going to the yearly American Car Show in the capitol, the Hot Rod Show in Stockholm, Sweden, a few drag races every year the only sources of info were the car magazines at the newsstands. Since 1980 I bought every single of them that featured old American cars. Car Craft, Hot Rod, PHR and 3-4 Swedish and Finnish ones. Soon a lot more were added via subscriptions. But I never got much of info about the car that started to haunt me after seeing it at that book wholesaler in the early 80:s. It was a photo of the Ramchargers 1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer 2dHT with a 413 Short Ram and a three speed stick. Here is that very photo;

I know, many consider this car unattractive and odd, even some Ramcharger members had those thoughts back in the day. But to me that car was the king of cool and I knew that one day I would find out more about it and hopefully even recreate it if possible. Every now and then I found small tidbits of the car but somehow it never got much ink anywhere. The only place I have found as a major source of info is Ramcharger member Dave Rockwells book "We Were the Ramchargers". If anyone has an interior photo of this car I would love to have it! I'd especially want to see the shifter and tach...and hopefully the color of the interior. All photos are welcome in general even if I have many of the more common ones that are floating around. Anyway, I had been searching for a 61 Pioneer on and off for more than two decades but they are not easy to find. I have found a few but they have either been sold or then I have never received answers to my enquirys. Well, some time ago on eBay one appeared. The pics were really poor and the car was in Wisconsin so I had my suspicions. The seller claimed that it didn't have much undercarriage rust. I was pretty certain that wasn't true and I was right as it turned out. But it was the correct bodystyle and it was very cheap. That suits me because I didn't have the money anyways, had to use my American Express card and figure about paying when the bill arrives. Lol. So here is one of my dreams reaching the first step;

Here is one more from back in the day. If this car wouldn't have been so successful in what Dave Rockwell describes "as the most important drag race in Chrysler history" I wonder if all the high performance stuff would have taken off like it did?

OK, I was off to Texas again. But there was one super treat on the way! In a secret location and owned by a fellow that prefers to stay anonymus I got high on C-bodys. Amazing! Spectacular! Don't know what to say except that this dude has class! Thanks again for letting me see it all!

If you love C-bodys shouldn't they get the room with the best view???

Took this pic down by owners request as it might identify him...there are too many crooks out there...sorry Sir! You are my hero!

A big block Fire Chief wagon;

Minnesota State Trooper 61 Plymouth with a big block;

Nebraska State Patrol 2 door Fury, HP383 I think?

This one was familiar to me from many years back. In fact, I had tried to buy it from a wrecking yard in Montana several times but never got answers to my mails. Even talked to an officer in California who had bought the Polara Highway Patrol car right beside it. It is a complete Montana Highway Patrol 440 car and though it used to have a Challenger stacked on top the roof did not suffer much. Glad it got to a good home!;

There's an endless supply of goodies here...

Next stop US Nationals in Indy via Texas!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113206
11/20/11 08:58 PM
11/20/11 08:58 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
My original plan was to drive to the west coast on the last week (instead of going to Texas now) but time and money was in short supply already and if something would come up on that last leg I might miss my flight. Besides, Jim promised to take care of some of that west coast stuff for me and he really wanted me to see the US Nationals. I have to admit that I really don't follow current drag racing, the nostalgia stuff is more my thing. But this was the US Nationals and it might be a good idea to see it at least once in a lifetime. Besides, there is a lot to see besides racing, many interesting cars on display, the cool motorhomes and race rigs that are out of this world for a European, all the vendors and the whole huge event in general. So, I made the sensible descision and headed to Indianapolis from Texas. Besides, this way Jim would get his two car trailer where he needs it

Jim had already set everthing up a couple of days ago so all I had to do was grab a cold one and check out the circus

This Willys gasser with a blown Hemi was one of the absolute highlights. It was really more of a jewel than a car. Fantastic!

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/display_article.php?id=232810

Got even to meet Shirley Muldowney, how cool is that?;

John Force had more than 10 big rigs present...

Here's a couple for the 4 door Hemi discussion

http://www.logghestamping.com/about.htm

No, this isn't a Max Wedge, it's one of those rare inline 2x4 343 horse 383:s;

Why is this guy smiling? Well, another hard day at the office is over. Today we had to tow some old dudes railjob hundreds of yards in front of screaming masses and give the "queen wave" to boot. Well, the queen wave was optional but Jim isn't afraid of working hard so he takes everything to the limit

Yes, we actually watched some racing too;

Nothing like relaxing in a luxurious American toterhome after a busy day...and watching THE movie. How appropriate. This is the last night before flying home from Chicago tomorrow. But wait, this ain't over yet...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113207
11/20/11 09:38 PM
11/20/11 09:38 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Ahhh the memories of my old job, I did have some fun and glad I talked you into seeing the U.S. Nationals. Thanks again for hanging out with me and sharing the good times!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113208
11/20/11 09:49 PM
11/20/11 09:49 PM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Ooooo, you met Shirley...lucky you. I know many people don't like her but I do, plus she still holds the record for fastest pass at Milan Dragway (my home track.)

Rhino...that job of yours looked really cool.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113209
11/20/11 10:38 PM
11/20/11 10:38 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

It was, but too much work for the pitance I was paid. Shirley came in and did her makeup in the toter and I talked with her for awhile. At first I didn't recognize her because of the short blonde hair. She was very gracious and her assistant (the big guy driving the golf cart) is a Mopar guy!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113210
11/20/11 11:08 PM
11/20/11 11:08 PM
SW Fla.
CYACOP Offline
master
CYACOP  Offline
master

SW Fla.
Absolutely the best post I have seen on this site.
Thanks for putting this together.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Rhinodart] #1113211
11/20/11 11:29 PM
11/20/11 11:29 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Jim, you truly have a tough life. Imagine having to drive the "toter" [I thought it drove very nicely, personally], "having" to entertain Shirley in said toter and the toughest part of it must have been towing Don around in that old Dodge truck of yours. Glad you got to have a fun circuit.

Your newfound disciple will be catching his breath for quite some time. I remember that, too.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: CYACOP] #1113212
11/20/11 11:35 PM
11/20/11 11:35 PM
Oviedo, Florida
wanna72rr Offline
super stock
wanna72rr  Offline
super stock

Oviedo, Florida
BEST POST ON MOPARTS EVER!!!!
Thanks for sharing! Amazing tour!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Wagonmaster] #1113213
11/21/11 12:28 AM
11/21/11 12:28 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Quote:

Jim, you truly have a tough life. Imagine having to drive the "toter" [I thought it drove very nicely, personally], "having" to entertain Shirley in said toter and the toughest part of it must have been towing Don around in that old Dodge truck of yours. Glad you got to have a fun circuit.

Your newfound disciple will be catching his breath for quite some time. I remember that, too.

Perry, we had fun, huh? I enjoyed being able to take new found friends around with me on my adventures, that is definitely one of the things I will miss most about not working there anymore. It was real fun helping Hans out on his adventures too, I wish I could have been with him throughout his journey and hope he can return here soon for more! I did teach him some good ol' American slang that he will never forget. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Rhinodart] #1113214
11/21/11 12:31 AM
11/21/11 12:31 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Amazing pictures and stories!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Rhinodart] #1113215
11/21/11 01:58 PM
11/21/11 01:58 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

It was real fun helping Hans out on his adventures too, I wish I could have been with him throughout his journey and hope he can return here soon for more! I did teach him some good ol' American slang that he will never forget. That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

Hey Jim, I put that there to check if you actually read the posts I'll be back as soon as I can afford it! Then we'll hit the yards too! Thanks again everybody for the kind words! I just wonder if I should have put a different heading on this thread as it hasn't gotten more views? I assume that many of the views counted are by repeated visits as this has been several days in the making? In any case, the last pics are coming up shortly

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113216
11/21/11 03:31 PM
11/21/11 03:31 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
I had to get to Chicago from Indy as my flight departed from the Windy City. It wasn't a problem though as one of the Z-Alt Muscle Car Oil head honchos promised to take me! Much appreciated again! It was a pity that I didn't get to see much of Chicago as I would have liked that. A ton to see there! My uncle was a Korean War veteran and used to be a police officer in Morton Grove (Chicago suburb) back in the 50:s and 60:s. It would have been cool to have seen his old neighborhoods. One stop I wanted to make but didn't have time for, was the "Hill Street Blues" police station, loved that tv-show. One day I'll park a C-body in front of that garage door!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKVSVjbGcFM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_District_Police_Station

But all was not lost! Instead of being sensible and head straight towards the airport true gearheads set the GPS for 3300 W. Grand Avenue! It is at the corner of Spaulding...

Well, this is definitely Lower Wacker Drive. If my estimations are correct, we should be very close to the Honorable Richard J. Daley Plaza.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet???

Yes, we are!!

http://www.mrnorms.com/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro9Q0w66Ic0

This makes the hair on your hands stand up...nothing much has changed in decades...first pic is from Fall 1969...

This was a huge operation on both sides of Grand;

Don't know what the deal with the walking bricks is but I got this one saved before it got run over by someone

From MrNorms ad in 1969; "What does 69 mean to you? To us it means DODGE FEVER hotter than ever! 300 High Performance 69 Dodges in stock. Pick your model. Pick your color. Pick your equipment. Pick it out - drive it out." Can you imagine this parking lot 42 years ago??

The showroom in 1966;

Mr Norm had his office on the second floor;

Less than two hours before departure and we drive past the Radio Flyer factory. Next time I'll buy one or two of those...slightly smaller but Made in Chicago!

http://www.radioflyer.com/

That was all, I hope you guys enjoyed it all! I sure did and I want to say thank you to everybody who made my trip an awesome experience. It was impossible to mention all of you here but that doesn't mean you are forgotten! Thank you again! I didn't see everything I planned but I was sure even before I left that it would have been too much. There will be new adventures ahead and also new friends I have to get to meet again, maybe I will see the rest at that time as well as a lot of new places. As the late Gipper said; All in all, not bad -- not bad at all.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Devil] #1113217
11/22/11 07:08 PM
11/22/11 07:08 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

That looks like one hell of a good time.

Jim actually let you drive the cars and helped ya out?...lol

Should see the dealership now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157627533541538/

Hey Ryan, as you might have seen already I actually was lucky enough to see it...not to mention the fantastic Strandquist album! Also wanted to say that your photos and stories are among the best stuff on Moparts, always enjoy reading about your adventures! Would love to join one of those excursions some day!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113218
11/22/11 08:20 PM
11/22/11 08:20 PM
Northern OH
R
rapom Offline
top fuel
rapom  Offline
top fuel
R

Northern OH
Looks like you really made the most out of your trip. You saw more than I have ever seen in my entire life. You even got a picture of me twice at the Donut Cutter. I was the one with the green 68 charger. Wish I would have had a chance to talk to you.

Glad you had a great time and sorry about your mom.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6