11/15/11 12:49 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Hey Jim, just another favor for you

Woodward Dream Cruise is pretty huge, about 40,000 cars cruising mainly up and down on Woodward Avenue. What makes it great in my mind is the huge variety of cars, you never know what shows up next. The car scene in my part of the world is a bit different to the US so my first car shows in the US was a shock. Don't you have anything besides Mustangs, Camaros and Classic Chevys? WDC offers something for everyone but the main problem with this event is that even if you walk 10 miles every day there are only so many cars you can study closely because there simply isn't that many places for cruisers to stop. I'm not complaining though, it is an awesome show and every car geek should see it at least once. Be sure to come before the actual cruise day, Saturday, though because it is too packed really. I wish people would keep their daily drivers away from Woodward those few days. Chrysler has the best place at the cruise by far since it is one of the few larger parking areas available. What really blew my mind is how local this event is judging by the license plates, it seems to be a Michigan/Windsor event by 95%? I did see a few cars for example with California and New York plates but this seems to be a local event to a much larger extent than I imagined. Detroit is really a fantastic place for a car geek with about 70 events weekly (during the summer)in a 50 mile radius.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

http://youtu.be/AX3KnsLfEqI

One of the more famous stops at WDC is Sam's Shell on Woodward...I'd prefer an American chain but then again I'm narrow min...err focused

Really nice Torino with a big (572?) stroker in it;

A rather famous car with fantastic workmanship...but I would have kept it original...sorry;

That's a mean looking car Sir! - Thank you! Anyone from Moparts?

Yup, my MoPar will just about nuke your GM, I don't care what it is! - Wanna back that up?? - (this conversation is purely fictional)

This little Nova was quite a sleeper

Yup, I have a thing for Super Duty Pontiacs..my mother loved Pontiacs and that was a good excuse for me to buy a 1964 Catalina Ventura 2dHT, although I prefer 63:s but they are hard to find. This 62 Royal Bobcat was fantastic;

More non MoPars, a 1964 Mercury Marauder with a dual quad 427;

Drool...

427 Impala;

It is 2011 and all is well in the world...at least on Woodward!;

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113140
11/15/11 12:59 AM
11/15/11 12:59 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I love seeing my silver Ram in some of the pics, kinda like "where's Waldo". I have been to Woodward twice, hope to make it again some year! Keep up the architecure shots, soom there won't be many left in Detroit.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Rhinodart] #1113141
11/15/11 01:09 AM
11/15/11 01:09 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Hey Jim, if you ever sell it you can ask twice the market price due to its cool history! I wonder how many people can claim that their truck has been inside (this term being used a bit loosely though) Plant 4 in Highland Park...pics coming up!

DS, I hear ya! If I'd be wealthy I'd be buying and restoring all these places like a madman!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113142
11/15/11 02:30 AM
11/15/11 02:30 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
More Detroit automotive history...I was so worried that the Packard plant would be gone completely before I get to see it but I was lucky enough to witness this complex in person...there are no words really...one has to see it in person to realize the proportions. I wish there would be a time machine and I could walk into the factory showroom. I had to fight myself not to go in but being alone and leaving the truck unattended as well it wasn't an option...the people you might meet isn't the only concern either, there is so much loose stuff hanging in the air as well as floors and stairs that might collapse it is scary. The building is going down fast with scavengers taking their toll every day. As luck would have it, I was able to see pieces of this once fantastic structure later on...sorry about not having better pics but there was some nasty onlooks while on site and I couldn't concentrate on the pics too much I now have a few bricks saved from it too, I didn't feel bad about it since this thing will unfortunately be gone. A part in the northern end is in good shape though, to my understanding that was added during WW2 to make the Packard improved version of the Rolls-Royce engines. It is sad that the city officials got all the tenants (except one that refused to leave) evicted, that marked the end of this beautiful Kahn masterpiece.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?9631-Couple-of-Packard-Plant-Questions

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galle...0803&Ref=PH

http://onlyndetroit.com/html/decay/ond-0012motorcityunderworld.htm

This used to be the other of the two main entrances, now gutted, old pic a bit below, the factory showroom was on the right, colored glass added later after Packard left;

A bit of contrast, 1935 Packard 120:s awaiting shipment at the factory;

The parking garage in the 40:s;

Assembly line 1953;

Factory showroom 1954;

View outside the showroom on Grand Boulevard in 1955...luckily those entrances have been saved..pics later...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113143
11/15/11 04:21 AM
11/15/11 04:21 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Sometimes it is really hard to find out the factual info on things...many people told me (even an original Ramcharger member)that Hodges Subaru is the old Hodges Dodges;

But no, that was Hodges Imports back in the day. This is the old Hodges Dodges facility;

The first Ford plant on Piquette has been beautifully restored, unfortunately it was closed the day I stopped there;

www.tplex.org

It is amazing how fast things expanded, here's the next Ford factory in Highland Park...a part of it was demolished in the west end to make room for a mall...I think the mall is an eyesore, not the factory. They should have converted part of the factory to a mall instead...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Park_Ford_Plant

This is the same buliding seen in its heyday from the opposite direction, check the amazing detail;

http://www.shorpy.com/node/11210?size=_original

Fisher Body 21 is also in this area, once one of more than 40 buildings in the Fisher empire;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piquette_Avenue_Industrial_Historic_District

Next up; the home of the Highland Park Hummingbird!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113144
11/15/11 08:27 AM
11/15/11 08:27 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Now it might get weird for some people but this was really the climax (yes, that's the right word!) of my trip! I had been looking for info for quite awhile regarding the old Chrysler Center in Highland Park and I knew that it was already heavily developed with only one of the old buildings still standing. I had looked at satellite views and Google street view and I was pretty certain that I would still find something Chrysler-related there. The east side of the property has a brand new Magna seat factory and most of the south end is a Coca-Cola distribution facility. But there seemed to be some dirt roads in the northern part still and one of the main gates...let's see what goes on today at the site where everything important happened back in the day like 426 Hemi connecting rods flying through the dyno facilty window when an engine grenaded at full throttle!

Here's an overview of the complex;

A couple of photos of building 135 which was used for dyno work;

I was supposed to meet Ed, a totally cool guy who worked with the fellow who signed this dyno sheet. He had a few other Chrysler engineers with him...unfortunately I could not make it...it really bugs me...I hope to see you guys the next time around!! And I had a somewhat valid reason, more on that later...

For more info and pics go to this site and put "Chrysler Center" as search words;

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/

OK, excitement was on top when I parked at one of the old main entrances! It is odd that it has been mostly untouched as there was grassy knolls added where the office buildings used to be.

Driving to the grounds from the north end will soon reveal the only structure still standing, building number 101 which is described as a warehouse on the documents. It is covered with steel siding like so many other old buildings in the Detroit area, for the modern look and lower maintenance I guess?

Excitement is again on top when I park Jim's truck in what used to be Plant 4...I assume that the metallic strip in the foreground used to be an overhead door location;

Could this be from inside Plant 4 during WW2? In any case, this is a shot of 40mm anti-aircraft gun barrels at the Highland Park complex;

Walking towards the gate from the inside you can clearly see where the guardshack used to be..the floor tiles were still on the ground...the intact one has now been saved..it was't exactly mint as it seemed that somebody had made burnout efforts on them

There were piles of what seemed to be old construction material here and there but I couldn't be sure if those were part of the structures or what somebody had just dumped on site...search for artifacts continues when I stumble on something unbelievable! Yup, that is the old dyno building floor!! I didn't know what to do, somekind of a tribal dance or what?? Well, I was my boring Nordic cool self and just took pics...and a piece of it! If I'd be wealthy I'd buy and lift the whole damn thing out of there and make it my Motor Room! Somebody should bring a Hemi there and make it scream on site at least one last time! Dammit!

I spent quite some time on site and I was worried that some security dude would show up and make me leave. No way Jose, I travelled a long way for this! When I got my "loot" secured I was worried about losing it...and if somebody would have seen the Packard bricks inside the truck they would probably have called the dudes carrying a white jacket with long sleeves for me...so, it was best to get out of there. One last pic in Plant 4 with the artifacts (the third piece is a part of the floor in Plant 4);

Pretty intense for a certified Chrysler nut!!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113145
11/15/11 08:55 AM
11/15/11 08:55 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
More stuff for us that like to live in the past, Ramchargers garage on 1956 Hilton Road in Ferndale. They were ere from late 1964 to late 1967. The overhead door in the back is gone though...wouldn't it be awesome to have that??!! A couple of pics from the inside from Dave Rockwell's book; "We Were The Ramchargers". Get it!

More Ramchargers history...in 1961 and 1962 their sponsor was "Taylor's Motor Sales" in Detroit...although it was only a front for the factory. It later became Northwestern Dodge before Northwestern relocated...now it is a U-Haul place but it seems pretty untouched! Looks like the huge showroom windows are just boarded up! What a timemachine this could be, it was a huge dealership with additional parking across the street.

If someone thinks that the Packard plant is a rough area don't go and check out where design guru Virgil Exner lived in the 1930:s. He rented the second floor of this building in the 1930:s...could ave been the house next door too...I already made a u-turn and didn't want to slow down too much to check out the number..lol!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113146
11/15/11 09:07 AM
11/15/11 09:07 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Let's see some cars before looking at more Chrysler history. And there's a furrin vehicle in the mix...although it is clearly in America, the amount of overkill is just right!

When my mother and father visited Detroit in 1967 they rented a Fairlane 500 2dHT that was even the same color than this one...they also toured the Ford factory back then;

When my parents came home they soon bought a Rambler American...but not quite like this. I have fond memories of that car as I loved to ride in it until my father traded it for a new Chrysler 180 in 1974. Not a good move, we should have bought a Dart.

This was definitely the nastiest sounding car at the WDC!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113147
11/15/11 09:24 AM
11/15/11 09:24 AM
My Garage / Museum
idrivevintage Offline
Chrysler Plant
idrivevintage  Offline
Chrysler Plant

My Garage / Museum
Hans, you sir are awesome Make no excuses to anyone for your enthusiasm!

Enjoy the history of it all...I smiled at the pictures of your loot

I've got scraps of buildings and such laying around too and most people think it's crazy Cool to see another saving little pieces of the past.

It's amazing to see some of those pictures...buildings in absolute ruin, just sitting wide open ready to be explored. Can't help to think what little treasures one might still find in there

The floor tile from the gaurd shack and dyno room are awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures and trip with us.

Sorry about your mom

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113148
11/15/11 10:27 AM
11/15/11 10:27 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Allpar.com has a great tour on their site of Chrysler factories...I followed their route especially as I wasn't familiar with the area from before and it is easy to drive back and forth too much.

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/tour.html

First was Sterling Stamping;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/sterling-heights.html

Then Sterling Heights Assembly;

Then a place that has an amazing history, the old Detroit Tank Arsenal where Chrysler built tanks a long time. The factory itself was built incredibly fast, more here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Arsenal_Tank_Plant

Short visit at Van Dyke Dodge which is just across the street, got me the MoPar Performance catalog and drooled at the new Rams;

I was curious about the the huge number of Chrysler trucks running around, they all seem to be Macks, not a single Freightliner? I got the inside story later, all Freightliners were dumped as soon as bloodsucking Daimler was out of the picture. Nobody wants to have anything to do with those guys! Sounds good to me!

I am sure that many of us has wondered what the Center Line Parts Facilty looks like as the address appears on so many parts packages, here it is;

This sounds just about right

Detroit Axle is now closed...

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/detroit-axle.html

Lynch Road Plant, so rich in history, is right next to it...closed too...get the full factory tour in 1954 here;

http://www.allpar.com/cars/plymouth/factory-tour.html

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/lynch-road.html

In my stupidity I thought that this was Lynch Road but it is still part of Detroit Axle...these things are so huge it is unbelievable!

Jefferson Avenue Plant;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/jefferson-avenue.html

Mack Avenue Engine Complex;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/mack-avenue-engine.html

Mt Elliott Tool And Die;

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/mt-elliott.html

This is a common sight in Detroit, used for transport of car parts between facilities;

Looks like Photobucket left some pics out, I think that this is another parts distributing facilty but can't remember the address;

Finally, Warren Truck or Dodge City as it is called...we will return here!!

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/factories/warren-truck.html

Not enough? How about the building where Creative Industries put together the Dodge Charger Daytonas?;

http://www.aerowarriors.com/afct.html

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: idrivevintage] #1113149
11/15/11 10:32 AM
11/15/11 10:32 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Hans, you sir are awesome Make no excuses to anyone for your enthusiasm!

Enjoy the history of it all...I smiled at the pictures of your loot

I've got scraps of buildings and such laying around too and most people think it's crazy Cool to see another saving little pieces of the past.

It's amazing to see some of those pictures...buildings in absolute ruin, just sitting wide open ready to be explored. Can't help to think what little treasures one might still find in there

The floor tile from the gaurd shack and dyno room are awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures and trip with us.

Sorry about your mom

Thank you for the kind words...it makes all this work with the pics a lot easier, haven't saved the links or anything so I have to find this stuff as I go...more to come...a lot more!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113150
11/15/11 10:48 AM
11/15/11 10:48 AM
Chicken coop
dustergirl340 Offline
Chicken Little
dustergirl340  Offline
Chicken Little

Chicken coop
Great pics...you were in some rough areas. I actually love urban decay and graffiti pics and Detroit is full of both. I have some good pics from 8 Mile Road.

If you ever do Woodward again we do a get-together the Wednesday before at the Donut Cutter. And you can actually cruise! I will take you for a ride in my Dart.

Thanks for the pics...I like seeing familiar stuff from a different perspective.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113151
11/15/11 11:12 AM
11/15/11 11:12 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Back to the cruise again, today a lot of cool MoPars at the Donut Cutter!

Duggans is one of the cruise hotspots;

GM was setting up this day as well;

They also had a bunch of these cool old billboards on Woodward;

I guess this one's for Ryan?

This looked quite ga..cool? (yes, I know what it is but still..)

This guy wanted to sell me his bike...is that legal? Or was he working so deep deep undercover that I didn't realize it? I was happy to see Harleys though, anything else on Woodward would be dead wrong!

A magnificent Newport Custom..from Canada, eh?

Yes, there were some fellows who had seen the light and had arrived from far, far away places;

Nasty;

I have never seen so many full-size big block 4-speed cars in my life...awesome!

Fargos rule!

Eh?

One more of those "Hot Chiefs";

Sam's Shell is always packed;

The Hunter House is the only diner that remains on Woodward from the 1950:s. If you like to know more about Woodward Avenue history get Robert Genat's book "Woodward Avenue - Cruising the Legendary Strip"

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: dustergirl340] #1113152
11/15/11 11:18 AM
11/15/11 11:18 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

Great pics...you were in some rough areas. I actually love urban decay and graffiti pics and Detroit is full of both. I have some good pics from 8 Mile Road.

If you ever do Woodward again we do a get-together the Wednesday before at the Donut Cutter. And you can actually cruise! I will take you for a ride in my Dart.

Thanks for the pics...I like seeing familiar stuff from a different perspective.

Hey, thanks, much appreciated. Would have loved that, maybe next time! Detroit should really be experienced in vintage iron! Feel free to share some pics in this thread, it is a lot about love for Detroit anyway! And speaking of Donut Cutter...

My dream would be to buy a 1969-72 New Yorker, preferably black, and cruise coast to coast in it. That would give some awesome photo-ops in places like New York, Detroit and Chicago...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113153
11/15/11 12:12 PM
11/15/11 12:12 PM
Kingston, IL USA!
gts340swinger Offline
master
gts340swinger  Offline
master

Kingston, IL USA!
I wouldn't be against seeing every one of your pictures with your perspective on it posted here. Great thread. I think you and I have a lot in common. The history of these cars and the people who made them are just as much a part of the fun of the hobby as the cars themselves. You are lucky to have made this trip. many of us who live here in the USA haven't seen as much of it as you have, or with so much detail.

Mr. Norm's "Fanatic" (idiot)
71 Mr. Norm's Demon GSS
77 Mr. Norm's personal B250 GSS van
76 Mr. Norm's KZ900 Motor Sports Special
69 Mr. Norm's M code Dart GTS
69 D100
68 Barracuda
64 Valiant V200
07 Charger Daytona SST 6 speed test mule.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: gts340swinger] #1113154
11/15/11 12:36 PM
11/15/11 12:36 PM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline OP
master
Forwardlook  Offline OP
master

Turku, Finland
Quote:

I wouldn't be against seeing every one of your pictures with your perspective on it posted here. Great thread. I think you and I have a lot in common. The history of these cars and the people who made them are just as much a part of the fun of the hobby as the cars themselves. You are lucky to have made this trip. many of us who live here in the USA haven't seen as much of it as you have, or with so much detail.

Thank you Sir! That's how I feel! When you have read most what can be read about the cars you want to dig deeper into history. There will be lots of treats ahead and I wouldn't mind posting all my pics but it is a lot of work...mostly due to the slow upload process. Most people would probably fall asleep too Now I have to get my a$$ in gear and remove the trans from my '67 D200 Sweptline crew longbox...thought I'd get it up and running with a small effort but unfortunately the trans was full of sand and water The darn thing is full of rust inside. I have to get it off my buddys 4-post lift by tomorrow. Anyone have a good small block 727 reasonably? I need to get it in operable shape, it is a pain to move it here, there are no trailers big enough! I have to load it in my work truck and I need a loading dock to get it out! More pics to follow after my wrenching session and work in the morning...

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113155
11/15/11 12:58 PM
11/15/11 12:58 PM
Pewaukee, WI
Airgrabber Offline
master
Airgrabber  Offline
master

Pewaukee, WI
Those photos are some of the coolest pictures that I have seen in a long time. I'm happy you had the opportunity to check this stuff out.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113156
11/15/11 01:11 PM
11/15/11 01:11 PM
Reno, Nevada
NV69B7RR Offline
master
NV69B7RR  Offline
master

Reno, Nevada
Thank you so much Forwardlook!!
Sounds like your mom was a good lady, sorry for your loss.

This is the best post I've seen on here in a long time, thank you!! You've got a great eye for all cars!

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113157
11/15/11 01:12 PM
11/15/11 01:12 PM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
Wow, Thanks for posting and your right, Rhinodart is a one of a kind. It was nice to meet you at the Nats, hope you are able to make it again.

Re: 4 week MoPar Midwest tour with lots of pics! [Re: Forwardlook] #1113158
11/15/11 01:52 PM
11/15/11 01:52 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you Sir! That's how I feel! When you have read most what can be read about the cars you want to dig deeper into history. There will be lots of treats ahead and I wouldn't mind posting all my pics but it is a lot of work...mostly due to the slow upload process. Most people would probably fall asleep too Now I have to get my a$$ in gear and remove the trans from my '67 D200 Sweptline crew longbox...thought I'd get it up and running with a small effort but unfortunately the trans was full of sand and water The darn thing is full of rust inside. I have to get it off my buddys 4-post lift by tomorrow. Anyone have a good small block 727 reasonably? I need to get it in operable shape, it is a pain to move it here, there are no trailers big enough! I have to load it in my work truck and I need a loading dock to get it out! More pics to follow after my wrenching session and work in the morning...

Hans, go make some money and I will ship you all your parts plus a good 727 I have laying around, just let me know when!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6