J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

It's been my experience that any brittle coating will show cracks when the substrate deforms. I use it to discover where deformation has occurred. Chrome either cracks or flakes. Powder coat cracks unless it is very elastic. Paint cracks. Even mill scale, the blackish stuff on the surface of hot rolled steel, will crack if the part deforms.

Of course, I was using something I had already learned. An older way of determining strains in parts (before finite element analysis) was to make a part and coat it with special paint called "brittle coat". Then load the part. Remove the load and inspect the part. Cracks in the brittle coat would be perpendicular to the strain. One could tell from the cracks what strains were occurring.

R.

I agree to a large degree, however I think the issue with chrome is it can delaminate, hiding a beginning crack, and as others seem to think, powder coating is elastic, which would delay? a coating crack. the brittle paint idea is cool. Regardless this is splitting hairs, unless this is an F1 site.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Powder Coating leaf springs [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #1095983
10/21/11 11:20 AM
10/21/11 11:20 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

I would do it if the springs are pit free after blasting (most are not) and BTW, after you blast and powdercoat , get a re-build kit with the interleafs and straps you may have over $500 into a set of old worn out springs.

Where can you get a rebuild kit with the interleafs and straps? If I can afford to replace my springs, then Im thinking about pulling mine, wire wheeling them, paint them black, and then reinstalling...and some of the interleafs really need to be replaced. And just to be sure, the interleafs refer to the little plastic peices at in between the tips of the leafs right?

thanks
roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Powder Coating leaf springs [Re: roe] #1095984
10/21/11 12:24 PM
10/21/11 12:24 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
Try Totally Auto , Mega parts,RT Spec...ect . I think most were around $80 or so the last time I got one. They should include the plastic end pieces and the interleafs (the stamped steel pieces between the springs)and the straps. Remember, when you strip/fill the pits/rebuild,restrap,repaint,many hours of labor and you still have a re-built set of worn out springs. I have done it a few times and the third time, I just ordered a new set. ESPO has a good set of springs for the price.

Re: Powder Coating leaf springs [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #1095985
10/22/11 07:27 AM
10/22/11 07:27 AM
MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline
super stock
maximus  Offline
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
I use POR-15 also, 6 years later and it looks like the day I painted them. Very flexible paint.

Page 2 of 2 1 2