P
Pat_Whalen Offline OP
super gas
Pat_Whalen  Offline OP
super gas
P

Mesa, AZ
I tried searching to no avail. So a simple question:

What is the ideal configuration for grounds in a vehicle.

Right now all I've got is a cable from the NEG battery post to the engine at the front intake bolt and a smaller cable from battery NEG to my core support. I know this isn't the best.

Ideally, is it battery negative to engine, engine to frame, frame to body?

Re: Grounds- where and how many? [Re: Pat_Whalen] #1081109
09/23/11 08:15 PM
09/23/11 08:15 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
You have the basic OE setup. Heavy guage ground from negative to the engine for starting and charging current. Lighter ground to the body/frame for current coming from lights and some accessories. Unless you are dealing with a C, its unibody so body and frame are welded together with good electrical connection between the two. There is sometimes a supplemental medium guage ground strap from engine to frame as backup. Beyond the possible engine-frame supplemental strap, I wouldn't sweat it.

Re: Grounds- where and how many? [Re: ahy] #1081110
09/23/11 08:25 PM
09/23/11 08:25 PM
Mesa, AZ
P
Pat_Whalen Offline OP
super gas
Pat_Whalen  Offline OP
super gas
P

Mesa, AZ
Quote:

You have the basic OE setup. Heavy guage ground from negative to the engine for starting and charging current. Lighter ground to the body/frame for current coming from lights and some accessories. Unless you are dealing with a C, its unibody so body and frame are welded together with good electrical connection between the two. There is sometimes a supplemental medium guage ground strap from engine to frame as backup. Beyond the possible engine-frame supplemental strap, I wouldn't sweat it.

Sorry I didn't clarify earlier but this is an 80 Ramcharger. Giving it a cursory thought, the only ground the body has is through the smaller gauge wire at the core support. I don't mind overkill, so I think I'll plan a 4 gauge from the rear of the block to the firewall and perhaps one from that point to the frame. Can't hurt, right?

Re: Grounds- where and how many? [Re: Pat_Whalen] #1081111
09/23/11 08:37 PM
09/23/11 08:37 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry I didn't clarify earlier but this is an 80 Ramcharger. Giving it a cursory thought, the only ground the body has is through the smaller gauge wire at the core support. I don't mind overkill, so I think I'll plan a 4 gauge from the rear of the block to the firewall and perhaps one from that point to the frame. Can't hurt, right?

I use two # 2 ground straps from the motor to the front sub frame on my street car with elepahant ears plus the grounding from the battery to the body with the battery in the trunk, you can never have to good of a ground path, right

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Grounds- where and how many? [Re: Pat_Whalen] #1081112
09/23/11 08:38 PM
09/23/11 08:38 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Sounds reasonable. Another place that might work is across the motor mounts - engine to frame with 4 guage.