Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: patrick] #1057924
08/23/11 10:49 AM
08/23/11 10:49 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,803
NY usa
5
540challenger Offline
master
540challenger  Offline
master
5

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,803
NY usa
Quote:

Quote:

Still costs way more than a carb set up would, even the eddy with two carbs

I think I am gonna look into the mod-man intake, I am concerned with low speed fuel distribution but it looks to be the cheapest way




even taking into account the $800 spark computer for the distributorless ignition?




With EFI he is also going to need to upgrade the fuel system electric pump filter and etc.... that will add up fast too.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: 540challenger] #1057925
08/23/11 12:31 PM
08/23/11 12:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,999
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
master
HotRodDave  Offline OP
master
H

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,999
Kalispell Mt.
Summit has an MSD ignition controller for $475 and right now you can get a $40 rebate on that. For EFI you would have a hard time running the factory controller, it needs to comunicate with the instrument cluster and other crap, FAST makes a controller that is like $3000 XV control is about the same but comes with a complete kit. Either way I don't see it costing less than double the carb route.

I can't beleive what I said about the intakes, when Indy has the cheapest of something it must be a cold day in Hades (mopar land)


I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!



Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: STEFF] #1057926
08/23/11 04:38 PM
08/23/11 04:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,533
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,533
Indiana
Quote:

Instead of complaining, there's market opportunity, make the investment and develop, manufacture & sell an affordable intake.



And for Joe Average, after you get all the engineering and manufacturing design all laid out, the cost vs projected sales volume adds up to...

$800. To break even.

Or you get it made in china, sell it for $500, and get complaints about chinese origin, or poor quality, probably both.

Never thought I'd say it, but when contemplating a new Hemi, I actually think 'just get a 360 Magnum'.

If I was serious about a carb'd 5.7, I'd start looking for V8 engines with the same port pattern (like we saw above), and see if there is one that could maybe fit with some simpler adapter plates. Unfortunately, those intakes won't really be cheap either, but if a simple set of CNC spacerplates does the trick, you'd be a hero.

How close is the 4.6/5.4 for port spacing???

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: patrick] #1057927
08/23/11 05:06 PM
08/23/11 05:06 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,028
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,028
Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Still costs way more than a carb set up would, even the eddy with two carbs

I think I am gonna look into the mod-man intake, I am concerned with low speed fuel distribution but it looks to be the cheapest way




even taking into account the $800 spark computer for the distributorless ignition?




And that the EFI will make more power over a carb

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1057928
08/23/11 05:13 PM
08/23/11 05:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,533
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,533
Indiana
NO!!! Every 'should I go EFI' thread clearly states somewhere that carbs make more hp.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: Fury Fan] #1057929
08/23/11 05:24 PM
08/23/11 05:24 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,680
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,680
Ontario Canada
Quote:

NO!!! Every 'should I go EFI' thread clearly states somewhere that carbs make more hp.



Both properly tuned carb or efi are equa.
EFI has the advantage of easier start and less ring wash.

Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: MattW] #1057930
08/23/11 05:34 PM
08/23/11 05:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 833
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 833
MN
Quote:

Quote:

NO!!! Every 'should I go EFI' thread clearly states somewhere that carbs make more hp.



Both properly tuned carb or efi are equa.
EFI has the advantage of easier start and less ring wash.




I can actually squeeze out a few more ponies with a carb. Not much, just a few. Whats nice about EFI over a carb is you can use a remote start. lol


Jerry Williams.
Re: Eddy single 4 intake for 5.7 ?? [Re: HotRodDave] #1057931
08/23/11 05:37 PM
08/23/11 05:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 833
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 833
MN
Quote:

Summit has an MSD ignition controller for $475 and right now you can get a $40 rebate on that. For EFI you would have a hard time running the factory controller, it needs to comunicate with the instrument cluster and other crap, FAST makes a controller that is like $3000 XV control is about the same but comes with a complete kit. Either way I don't see it costing less than double the carb route.

I can't beleive what I said about the intakes, when Indy has the cheapest of something it must be a cold day in Hades (mopar land)




FAST now has an upgrade for their's that has adaptive learning capabilities. Like $50 and well worth it.


Jerry Williams.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Advertisement
Forum Statistics
Forums32
Topics193,736
Posts2,260,833
Members25,796
Most Online1,424
Jun 20th, 2018
Moparts Newest Topics
VFN Fiberglass
by Wirenut. 03/18/19 04:49 PM
2019 Stickshift Challenge @ The Nats
by 68shifter. 03/18/19 03:12 PM
Bad Fall
by 340SIX. 03/18/19 01:28 PM

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1