08/23/17 07:13 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
I think the AMC 4.0's are the best of them. Good torq, good hp, very dependable and durable, fuel injected. The slant's were reliable and fit under the hood of a car but only made 1/2 the hp.

As far as why dodge made the 3.9 instead of updating the slant, the dakota is the only reason I can come up with. Either the dakota was originally designed around the 2.2L and later they decided they needed a 6 cyl and the slant was too long or from the get-go they decided they wanted a shorter hood on the dakota. The decision making process at the time really boggles my mind. Here for the 1987 model year they debuted the 3.9 V6, carbed at 125hp which was less HP than either the fuel injected 2.2 turbo engines or the fuel injected mitsu 3.0 that were both available that year making 140hp. Then in 1990 the 3.3 V6 comes out at 150hp and the next year the 3.8 V6 comes out. They spent millions on developing the 3.9 really for no good reason and it wasn't any good of an engine anyway. I don't know if the fwd and rwd departments just didn't communicate and share or what because it seems like one big waste.

Its a cut down 318 with a split pin crank. Its to make all the stuff on the same tooling - transmissions, starters, etc are the same on vehicles with the V8. Near all parts interchangeable to a 318.

This is basically using the "4.3 V6 Formula" that GM used (Chopped 350).

I'd swap in a Pentastar before I'd waste my time on any of these other engines. Should be able to be run on Megasquirt no issue so long as you have a transmission to bolt on the back.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: MuuMuu101] #2358936
08/24/17 01:45 AM
08/24/17 01:45 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Chrysler pulled the plug on the Slant because they simply couldn't make it run clean enough for the tightening emissions standards.

They did try a diesel version, but it never got past the prototype stage. I have seen pictures of one.

They also experimented with aluminum heads, and turbos. 7 aluminum heads were made, and 3 or 4 turbo motors.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: slantzilla] #2359055
08/24/17 11:43 AM
08/24/17 11:43 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By Supercuda
They didn't spend crap on developing the 3.9, go read the story at Allpar, it will answer your questions.

Yeah I'm sure casting a new block, crank, heads, cam and associated R&D (even if robbing as much 318 stuff as possible) and topping it off with a carb that was obsolete before it was ever introduced on the 3.9 was cheaper than installing one of the other off-the-shelf EFI engines they were already producing....

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Chrysler pulled the plug on the Slant because they simply couldn't make it run clean enough for the tightening emissions standards.

Surely if they made a new head for the slant and upgraded the induction system it wouldn't have been any different from any other engine? AMC seemed to get by with their carbed straight 258ci I-6. Jeep wranglers still came with the carbed straight 6 until 1991 and that engine dates back to as old as the slant.

Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: peter] #2361570
08/29/17 08:57 AM
08/29/17 08:57 AM
Mohawk Valley, Oregon
knote72 Offline
knote72  Offline

Mohawk Valley, Oregon
Sadly the picture doesn't show anymore. Thanks a lot photobucket!

Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: Grizzly] #2361571
08/29/17 08:59 AM
08/29/17 08:59 AM
Mohawk Valley, Oregon
knote72 Offline
knote72  Offline

Mohawk Valley, Oregon
Originally Posted By Grizzly

6 year old thread, but... you can use the Jeep 4.0 in a truck.

Has already been covered and has a video attached in the first reply in case you missed it. up
Didn't see the link at first, all I saw was "Yes". So the megasquirt pairs with the jeep 4L components? Because I heard the ecu is the one thing that won't work for the slant adaptation, because it requires cam and crank sensors

Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #2361572
08/29/17 09:10 AM
08/29/17 09:10 AM
Mohawk Valley, Oregon
knote72 Offline
knote72  Offline

Mohawk Valley, Oregon
Originally Posted By knote72
I was curious about this topic as well. Somewhere down the road I wanna do a Turbo EFI slant in a pickup, and would prefer a MPFI setup if at all possible. I came across this article DeBiase EFI for adapting the GM 3.8L MPI setup. I was curious about the Jeep 4L route, because I have a 92 Grand Cherokee with a 4L that is just sitting on my property and would like to find out if I can use that setup instead

6 year old thread, but... you can use the Jeep 4.0 in a truck. In a car the deck height might be a problem if you enjoy being able to close your hood. If you are keeping it stock, the Jeep efi system is easy enough to dissect and transfer over. Transmission selection would rule out stock mopar transmission however there are other swap options that would work.

As far as using the 4L itself.......no thanks. There's a reason it's sitting there. I've driven a few of these 4Ls, to be honest I'm not too fond of Jeep stuff at this point (electrical is their biggest achilles heel from what I've seen). Aside from getting out usable parts, I wouldn't mind seeing it go into the crusher. I just figured I'd get some usage out of what's there so maybe it could pay me back for the PITA it caused me, and since I'd have to scrap the ecu for aftermarket anyways if I used the parts, it'd be less likely to infect the build with its old gremlins

Last edited by knote72; 08/29/17 09:20 AM.
Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: knote72] #2362077
08/30/17 12:09 AM
08/30/17 12:09 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem

Has already been covered and has a video attached in the first reply in case you missed it. up
Didn't see the link at first, all I saw was "Yes". So the megasquirt pairs with the jeep 4L components? Because I heard the ecu is the one thing that won't work for the slant adaptation, because it requires cam and crank sensors

Honestly, Knote72, I'd just find a 4 L Jeep donor and grab every scrap of wire, sensors, computer and injectors and adapt the whole thing over to your 225.

Nothing beats Factory. up

Fussing around with that aftermarket crap is a nightmare and only seems to work perfect for one yahoo on some online forum. Everyone else (You and Me) waste alot of money and time trying to get junk to work.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: Grizzly] #2362161
08/30/17 05:11 AM
08/30/17 05:11 AM
Mohawk Valley, Oregon
knote72 Offline
knote72  Offline

Mohawk Valley, Oregon

Honestly, Knote72, I'd just find a 4 L Jeep donor and grab every scrap of wire, sensors, computer and injectors and adapt the whole thing over to your 225.

Nothing beats Factory. up

Fussing around with that aftermarket crap is a nightmare and only seems to work perfect for one yahoo on some online forum. Everyone else (You and Me) waste alot of money and time trying to get junk to work.
Truth be told, I just thought of going with the GM 3.8 instead since all parts, even the ecu, adapt over with less effort, leaving just fabricating the fuel rail and manifold bungs for injectors.

As for my Jeep, since there's still a market for em apparently, I'll see if I can't get it running so then I can sell it, get rid of it finally and make a few bucks in the process. I'll use the proceeds for the GM parts, and pass along the Jeep gremlins to the next guy who wants em

Last edited by knote72; 08/30/17 05:11 AM.
Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: MuuMuu101] #2362171
08/30/17 08:29 AM
08/30/17 08:29 AM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
I've got a programmer for the 3.8 L supercharged engines. let me know if you're interested. I can check to see what years computer you need.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: Fuel Injected Slant Sixes? [Re: Jerry] #2362186
08/30/17 09:29 AM
08/30/17 09:29 AM
Mohawk Valley, Oregon
knote72 Offline
knote72  Offline

Mohawk Valley, Oregon
Originally Posted By Jerry
I've got a programmer for the 3.8 L supercharged engines. let me know if you're interested. I can check to see what years computer you need.
I was originally thinkin of a slant build following this article DeBiase efi . Was thinkin of also strapping on a turbo, one meant for a smaller engine 80% the size that'll spool quicker and in the midrange to keep rpm's low (4-7psi boost). Heard Clifford performance made intake manifolds for the slant Clifford slant intake . See those angled knuckles right where the runner ports end? Look like good spots to drill holes to tap in injectors

Page 2 of 2 1 2