07/14/11 12:12 PM
07/14/11 12:12 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
That black piece is probably some kind of a packaging guard and was supposed to be removed before installation DUH,

Re: AVS accelerator pumps [Re: A12] #1032014
07/14/11 12:32 PM
07/14/11 12:32 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

That black piece is probably some kind of a packaging guard and was supposed to be removed before installation DUH,

No that is the way it supposed to be.

I installed that ebrock pump into the later carter competition series 750 afb I have just as packaged .

Re: AVS accelerator pumps [Re: 62maxwgn] #1032015
07/14/11 02:47 PM
07/14/11 02:47 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
C
chargincharles Offline
enthusiast
chargincharles  Offline
enthusiast
C

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

There are three different pumps,one for the AVS and two for the AFB.AVS is larger in diameter,AFB uses two different length pumps,AVS on right,AFB's on left.The AFB pumps have a check valve in the bottom of the pump,the AVS does not.If you have the correct pump,the pump length adjustment is correct,the connecting link is not installed backwards,the check valve in the driver side bowl to pump well is good,correct fuel level and the needle under the discharge nozzle is in place you should have no problem regardless of what pump you use if it is in good condition.I have been playing with these thing for 40 + years and can honestly say I have never had a pump problem if all the above are correct.I have went as far as soaking dried up leather pumps in oil and reusing them with no problems.

Wow- never seen them compared side-by-side.
I stand corrected- they are different.

Also- there IS a check-valve for the pump on the AVS. It's built into the intake 'jet' at the bottom of the fuel bowl. There is also a ball bearing (or later one's used a brass valve) under the pump's squirter cluster assembly that used gravity to act like a check valve.

I still don't trust the Eddy one. Give me steel/brass and leather over plastic and neoprene every time.

Just my pennies,
CC.

Re: AVS accelerator pumps [Re: chargincharles] #1032016
07/14/11 02:56 PM
07/14/11 02:56 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

There are three different pumps,one for the AVS and two for the AFB.AVS is larger in diameter,AFB uses two different length pumps,AVS on right,AFB's on left.The AFB pumps have a check valve in the bottom of the pump,the AVS does not.If you have the correct pump,the pump length adjustment is correct,the connecting link is not installed backwards,the check valve in the driver side bowl to pump well is good,correct fuel level and the needle under the discharge nozzle is in place you should have no problem regardless of what pump you use if it is in good condition.I have been playing with these thing for 40 + years and can honestly say I have never had a pump problem if all the above are correct.I have went as far as soaking dried up leather pumps in oil and reusing them with no problems.

Wow- never seen them compared side-by-side.
I stand corrected- they are different.

Also- there IS a check-valve for the pump on the AVS. It's built into the intake 'jet' at the bottom of the fuel bowl. There is also a ball bearing (or later one's used a brass valve) under the pump's squirter cluster assembly that used gravity to act like a check valve.

I still don't trust the Eddy one. Give me steel/brass and leather over plastic and neoprene every time.

Just my pennies,
CC.

I don't know if the one (original looking in the photo with the Edlbrk above) I took out is leather, think it is rubber??????? Maybe it is leather or it's not an original ???

Re: AVS accelerator pumps [Re: A12] #1032017
07/14/11 03:07 PM
07/14/11 03:07 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
C
chargincharles Offline
enthusiast
chargincharles  Offline
enthusiast
C

Cincinnati, Ohio
If it's original, it's leather.
But- soak it in Gasoline for 30+ years- and it looks like something else! I soak my new ones in Oil for a day before I install them, and I soak them in oil for a day when I take the carb off and go through it every year at the beginning of Spring. My car sits during the winter, so I go through the carb and check things every spring.
Your's looks like it has a chunk out of it, so I wouldn't try to re-use it. If it didn't I would have soaked that one, then flared the lip and put it back in!
As a hint:
I shoot all the gaskets with non-stick cooking spray before I install them. This makes it easy to disassemble the carb later as I don't destroy any gaskets in the process. This is a Holley trick BTW...

Enjoy!
CC.

Re: AVS accelerator pumps [Re: chargincharles] #1032018
07/14/11 05:25 PM
07/14/11 05:25 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
I've rebuilt 4 AVSs successfully. One thing I found is the leather gasket on the acc.pump can get partially folded back when you insert the new one into the tapered bore. I've used plenty of engine oil as lube plus a feeler gauge as a shoe horn to get them to seat and seal right. Otherwise no major issues. My rebuild kits were all by Walker, IIRC.
Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Page 2 of 2 1 2