Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Biggest problem with people and towing is that a lot of people do not take towing seriously. Drive accordingly. Giver yourself room. Make sure all safety chains are in place and loads secured. Slow down. Drive defensively. Don't make quick actions. Make sure that you have the braking system adjusted properly. The tow vehicle should not be stopping the towed rig, it should be a shared thing between the two with the towed rig actually helping slow the tow vehicle. There are a lot of people towing that shouldn't even be driving let alone towing.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: MoparforLife] #103086
08/14/08 12:14 PM
08/14/08 12:14 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Biggest problem with people and towing is that a lot of people do not take towing seriously. Drive accordingly. Giver yourself room. Make sure all safety chains are in place and loads secured. Slow down. Drive defensively. Don't make quick actions. Make sure that you have the braking system adjusted properly. The tow vehicle should not be stopping the towed rig, it should be a shared thing between the two with the towed rig actually helping slow the tow vehicle. There are a lot of people towing that shouldn't even be driving let alone towing.

Good words of wisdom, but it doesn't change the fact that some tow things that are heavier than their tow vehicle is rated to tow.

Again, like Bob mentioned if you do this and you are in an accident you are subject to criminal prosecution.

Gary Davis' (Unlawfl) wife is a DOT police officer. She carries portable scales and enforces laws like what is being discussed here.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Prostock] #103087
08/14/08 01:41 PM
08/14/08 01:41 PM
Mohnton, Pa
DodgeCharger Offline
master
DodgeCharger  Offline
master

Mohnton, Pa
Today the local police had a temperary weight station set up across from my office. I don't know if Maple Grove hosting the national event this week had anything to do with it?
They were pulling everyone in with a trailer.
I went over and asked some questions.
Basically many things are a gray area.
If I understood them correctly the Federal law states that any combined vehicle weight over 10,000 lbs could require you to follow the Federal DOT guidelines.
Fire extinguishers medical cards log books.
According to the officer I spoke to the Federal law could be manipulated into meaning if you haul your daughters pony to a local horse show and it wins a ribbon it is now more valuable and you could profit from the experience you are now driving a commercial vehicle if the tow vehicle and the trailer combined weight is 10,001# or more.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: DodgeCharger] #103088
08/14/08 01:58 PM
08/14/08 01:58 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Today the local police had a temperary weight station set up across from my office. I don't know if Maple Grove hosting the national event this week had anything to do with it?
They were pulling everyone in with a trailer.
I went over and asked some questions.
Basically many things are a gray area.
If I understood them correctly the Federal law states that any combined vehicle weight over 10,000 lbs could require you to follow the Federal DOT guidelines.
Fire extinguishers medical cards log books.
According to the officer I spoke to the Federal law could be manipulated into meaning if you haul your daughters pony to a local horse show and it wins a ribbon it is now more valuable and you could profit from the experience you are now driving a commercial vehicle if the tow vehicle and the trailer combined weight is 10,001# or more.

I bet the race had everything to do with it. They did it there a few years ago and levied a large number of fines.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Prostock] #103089
08/14/08 02:24 PM
08/14/08 02:24 PM
VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
I guess I won't be towing my Road Runner through PA anymore.

Are they going to ticket every RVer who goes through PA who doesn't have a CDL, current physical and a log book?

Unless you have a popup being pulled by a Kia, almost every RVer is over 10,000 pounds combined.

69 Road Runner Vert
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: 69 Road Runner] #103090
08/14/08 02:47 PM
08/14/08 02:47 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
This is not Pa.specific,WV is doing the samething,Ohio has been hit or miss,but when they smell the revenues that their missing they will be on the bandwagon.We have checked with many other states and they follow the same guidlines.You can go on linefor each state and find the same information.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #103091
08/14/08 03:16 PM
08/14/08 03:16 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I obviously have a CDL. But have never had to go into a weigh station with the race car trailer. This thread has got a lot of guys really scared to tow their race cars. They shouldn't be afraid.
A few good points were made here.

Weigh your rig.
Register it for that combined weight.
If you are a hobbiest, keep the book in your truck that shows the exception # 390.3f. And if you need to keep your tax returns also.
If you are under 26,001# combined wt. you don't need a CDL.
Make sure your tires match the weights you are carrying.
For most of the guys here, none of this applies. If you are towing your flat bed trailer, you are most likely A-OK.
Don't panic here..

I tow a 53' 5th wheel w/ LQ and have never been stopped. And it does stand out..

Billy D.

Way too much trailer for the truck, That might be what there looking for.

Your tow rig and trailer should have nothing on it, no lettering. Any lettering constitutes commercial. Keep it plain and you have alot better chance of being left alone.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103092
08/14/08 03:20 PM
08/14/08 03:20 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
BG Racing, I saw one of your race trailers at Columbus last weekend with lettering all down the side of your trailer, that makes it's commercial. Does that make difference nowadays??

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Challenger 1] #103093
08/14/08 03:27 PM
08/14/08 03:27 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
After going through the process,it was no big deal.After reaserching the regs I better understand the need to comply,there are a lot of people towing out there that are an accident waiting to happen.Rigs not safe or road worthy,as well as drivers that shouldn't be behind the wheel of a pedal car let alone a large race rig or other types of towing combos.I have a CDL also and because of my health issues I'am monitered each year to make sure I'am healthy enough to be on the highway.Just as important your rig should be capable as well.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103094
08/14/08 03:37 PM
08/14/08 03:37 PM
Kissimmee Fl.
D
dusturbd340W5 Offline
master
dusturbd340W5  Offline
master
D

Kissimmee Fl.
Guees I will just stay in Fl there since they say under 26001lbs is not commercial.

70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.212 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: B G Racing] #103095
08/14/08 03:54 PM
08/14/08 03:54 PM
KENTUCKY
69CHARGERMD Offline
master
69CHARGERMD  Offline
master

KENTUCKY
I live in Kentucky,,,,and found the following definitions,,,
Quote:

When do I need a Kentucky CDL instead of my regular Kentucky Drivers License? (note,,,this is IF you operate a COMMERCIAL vehicle, see definition of commercial vehicle at bottom)

A Kentucky CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

I also looked up rules for Ohio........and listed them .

Who Needs a CDL? – Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.01 (D)
You need a CDL if you operate any of the following vehicles:

Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds;

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand pounds;

I am just a weekend racer,,,,pickup truck, and a 24' enclosed, and a 3300lbs car

My GCVW (gross COMBINED weight ) is 14,000 lbs,,,, ( i looked it up on the dodge truck site)

The GVW of my truck alone is 6900 lbs (total PERMISSIBLE weight of my truck, including passengers, driver, vehicle itself, options, and cargo),,,,,i am NOT near this weight at any time,,,,

From reading the thread,,,and above quotes,,,,i DONT think i need a CDL at any time ( at least for my combination )

I think i should be withIN the rules,,,since my gross combined weight should fall BELOW 14,000 lbs,,,,

I was going to register my truck for a GCVW of 14,000 just to be safe....
I'll never be in PA with the car,,,,but do go thru Ohio and Michigan every so often.

I would think my situation applys to most of the "weekend" racer guys on here ? and hopefully the above will hold true...

ps, i also enclosed a pic of out local DOT officer....lol

I also found some definition of WHAT is a commercial vehicle
Quote:

Question
What is a commercial vehicle?

Answer
A vehicle is designated “commercial” when it is titled or registered to a company. This is a broad definition, as commercial vehicles may be fleet vehicles, company cars, or other vehicles used for business.
The Department of Motor Vehicles codes the titles and registrations at the time of issue. Under normal circumstances, a commercial registration is issued for the following reasons:

- the title was placed in the name of a company or corporation
- the vehicle is a leased vehicle and in the name of the financial institution that owns it
- the vehicle exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore is "classified" as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned **

I still need to find out what that weight is or class,,but according to the KY rules above on CDL,,,,i still think my combo is ok,,,,,,

Lastly i found this and a DOT info.........
(key words i read is 'for BUSINESS purposes' ) which does not apply......and the wording "PRIVATELY" owned,,,and the word COMPENSATION....

Quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a US DOT number?

If you are operating a vehicle in commerce (for business purposes) to transport passengers or property when the vehicle

• has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, or 10,001 lbs or whichever is greater ; or

• Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

• Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

• Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous.

(Transportation of Hazardous Materials).

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating (truck & trailer added together)

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight including any load

GCW = Gross Combination Weight of any truck, trailer, and load

Do I need a Medical Examiners Certificate (Medical Card)?

Yes, any driver operating a commercial vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,001 lbs or more needs the Medical Examiners Certificate.

Do I need a trailer plate?

Yes, If you are using a trailer for business purposes. Only privately owned and operated trailers are exempted from licensing in Kentucky. KRS 186.675.

Do I need a KYU number?

Yes, If the vehicle has a registered weight in excess of 59,999 lbs.

Note: You can obtain a temporary KYU # from the Division of Motor Carriers.

Am I required to carry a log book?

Yes, if driver is operating a vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR 10,001 lbs or more.

There are some exemptions to the log book requirement, If the driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius,

And returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours, and

The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing the following

• The time the driver reports for duty each day

• The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day

• The time the driver is released from duty each day

• The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with 395.8(j)(2) for

Drivers used for the first time or intermittently

If you do not meet all of these requirements, you are REQUIRED to have a log book.

Last edited by 69CHARGERMD; 08/14/08 04:23 PM.
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: 69CHARGERMD] #103096
08/14/08 04:17 PM
08/14/08 04:17 PM
VA
69 Road Runner Offline
master
69 Road Runner  Offline
master

VA
My motorhome should be OK in PA.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-cdl.pdf

Commercial motor vehicles do not include:
a) implements of husbandry;
b) any motor home or recreational trailer operated solely for personal use; or
c) motorized construction equipment, including, but not limited to, motorscrapers, backhoes,
motorgraders, compactors, excavators, tractors, trenchers and bulldozers.

According to part a), a woman can drive a vehicle over 26000 pounds if she's looking for a mate.

69 Road Runner Vert
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: 69 Road Runner] #103097
08/14/08 05:29 PM
08/14/08 05:29 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

According to part a), a woman can drive a vehicle over 26000 pounds if she's looking for a mate.

You're gonna get BG started again.

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: BBLM23] #103098
08/14/08 05:49 PM
08/14/08 05:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. #103099
08/14/08 05:56 PM
08/14/08 05:56 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

I am in deep do-do just found out my trailer has a Gw of 13,200 because I upgraded to a 16" wheel. 15" is 9900 lb.
I have to make two trips to Ohio through Pa. this month
Quaker City and Norwalk
I tow with a single axle 3500

No, I disagree (like that matters anymore ) as long as you register it under the magical 10K limit, and you never load it over 10K, you bypass many, but not all of the issues so far brought up, although declaring weight on a trailer is not always required, the GCVW on your truck should represent that under 10K trailer self imposed limit, make sense?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: Prostock] #103100
08/14/08 06:10 PM
08/14/08 06:10 PM
Indiana
MFR426 Offline
enthusiast
MFR426  Offline
enthusiast

Indiana
I talked today with the Indiana State Police DOT officer who is the head of our district. I wanted to find out what our state is looking at. I have a Dodge 3500 pulling a 48 foot Gooseneck with living quarters. The trailer is titled and plated as an RV. I have an 11000Lb plate on the truck. I need to weigh the truck but she said I was ok as long as the plate was above the actual weight of the truck. Being an RV the trailer was ok and exempt. But, hear comes the kicker. If you go to a race track and any money exchanges hands in anyway, that is considered commerce and you are considered a commercial vehicle. You must have Dot number, Class A CDL etc. As has been shown on here, if you are plating the trailer as a trailer, the 10000Lb GVWR of the trailer applies and you need all the DOT requirements. So it looks like we are as bad here as in any of the other states.
Not good news for sure. Glad I haven't entered the CC Norwalk event yet.
Looks like we may not go. I don't want to risk big fines!
Thanks!
MFR426

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: jcc] #103101
08/14/08 06:15 PM
08/14/08 06:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: jcc] #103102
08/14/08 06:20 PM
08/14/08 06:20 PM
Charleston, SC
S
SCDaytona Offline
mopar
SCDaytona  Offline
mopar
S

Charleston, SC
This is all such BS. I went to the Pa DOT page http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter13.pdf and go to page 5 to 1304 f and 1305 a. The DOT doesn't even know their own laws. Trucks may be registered with the GVWR and may also be reguisted with the CGVWR in "f" and then below in "a " it states it can be registered as GVWR OR CGVWR. So here it is in writing and these people are just on a power trip. You will notice it is required for Truck Tractors to register both ways, not pickups.

Re: Warning for racing rigs in Pa. [Re: ProStreetFm3] #103103
08/14/08 06:25 PM
08/14/08 06:25 PM
Maryland
S
SLEDGEHAMMER Offline
enthusiast
SLEDGEHAMMER  Offline
enthusiast
S

Maryland
This is one of the reasons why I got out of the auto transport business.

Questionable DOT enforcement, $5000/mo fuel bills and $2000/mo insurance. Then have people fuss about how much it costs to transport a car.

Ask just about any over the road trucker about dealing with DOT regulations and enforcement and watch their face change. I got to the point where the less I saw of DOT the better off I was and my wallet was happier.

If you are not sure about the laws and regulations for a state you are towing through or destination call the Dept. of Transportation for that state. Ask about your equipment and any possible unique regulations that you would need to comply with to travel in their state **NOTE** Get their name and extention for your CYA records.

All this is....is another money grab to help keep the $$$ rolling in for the state budgets.

1971 Dodge Dart - Powerplant <<TBD>>
Post deleted by Defbob [Re: SLEDGEHAMMER] #103104
08/14/08 06:30 PM
08/14/08 06:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12