Quote:

Quote:

Welding inverted , overhead , you need to use a FLUX core wire , no gas , that's why you are having problems wi hthat weld , that type Hobart is a marginal machine at best, we have one at work , it bites.

so no welding with gun below weld on gas?

Just curious what would be a good one at $450-500 range on 120v? My old man has a 220v bigger brother to mine and you can tell it MUCH hotter but I like the portableness and the fact I only have 120v in garage.

The hobart is a good machine. I use one everday,it will work fine for what you are doing. It takes practice welding upside down but you can do it, with gas. I have found that sometimes switching the polarity of the machine will help when welding upside down. The .023 is what you need for body panels. On my machine with .023 wire and sheet metel I usually have it set at 2 and 40-45. Also is your liner good? do you have a good ground clamp you also need to make sure not to have the machine too close to where you are working, try to keep liner as straight as possible, bends can cause the wire and machine to do weird things. If you are using magnet to hold things together you should ry to move them away from your weld, the magnetic field messes with your weld. Dont run your machine off of an extension chord unless its short and large guage wire, its no good for the welder and will make for bad welds.