Well, right after creating this thread, problem went away - hasn't come back yet, but it probably will. I do appreciate the suggestions though - so I thought I'd go ahead and reply. Better late than never.

Quote:

When you say "it won't start" I assume you mean "the starter does not crank?"

Yup - that's what I meant to say.

Turn the key - absolutely nothing would happen.

So I would start it with my screwdriver between the 2 studs on the starter relay.

After driving a while and getting it warmed up, I'd shut it off, then it would start right back up with the key just like brand new.

It's not the clutch safety switch - it was disconnected when I bought the car in 04 and I've always liked it that way. The wire is just grounded to the firewall. I figure if I want to start the car without touching the clutch pedal, that should be my choice.

I guess I was hoping that the fact that it always works right when hot would mean something to someone who would know exactly what the problem was - probably just means a loose connection somewhere.

Quote:

Your manual transmission 1970 Plymouth Satellite needs two other things

Hey, Road Runner bro, Road Runner......Satellite would be RL, or RH, or RP, or something, etc., etc......

I know I should have dug out the old Volt-Ohm Meter by now, or rigged up a test light, but starting it with a screwdriver hadn't really bugged me enough yet.

Also, thanks RapidRobert for the suggestion to clean all the connections - I've checked and cleaned all of them, but it didn't seem to help.

What I hope to do sometime this year is get the ignition switch out of the column and check those connections.

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions.

Now if VDOT would just stop putting down all that salt and chemicals and sand every time the weatherman says we're getting a few flurries so I can DRIVE IT AGAIN! It's been SIX WEEKS!

At least I can start it up and listen to it rumble every now and then.

6429234-Copyof70RR.jpg (79 downloads)
Last edited by RM21N0A; 01/21/11 10:14 AM.