Quote:

If it's at 23 spline, just keep looking?.......

WHY?

Don't give the guy bad info. Nothing wrong with a 23 spline trans. Pleanty strong, cheap, and quiet.

Read my post, I never said there's anything wrong with a 23 spline trans, I say just pass on it because for the cost of converting a short tail 833 for a long tail you could just buy a long tail 833. I agree, 23 spline 833's are plenty strong and good transmissions, just I would not bother with converting one, a short tail 833 is worth more to an a-body guy who will use it how it was intended.

Quote:

dont confuze the 3 speed OD with the 23 or 18 spline 883 4-speeds

It will work also but has a diff ratio and gear spred

3rd is 1 to 1 and 4th is OD

its an alum case and iron tail shaft IIRC

come in car and trucks

It's not a 3 speed OD, it's just an 833 with a different gear set. It's got different gear ratios, which are in the tech archive. It's usually in an aluminum case with an iron tail, but I have heard of stock iron case OD 833's. If you deal with the aluminum case floating shaft issue and use the od gear for cruising only(no WOT shifts into 4th), it's basically as good as any other 23 spline trans. And technically, 3rd is overdrive and 4th is 1:1, so unless you flip the shift tab on the outside of the trans, 3rd and 4th gears switch spots on your shift pattern. Makes for a strange feeling shift, lol, but flip the shift tab and you get a normal feeling shift pattern.