Originally Posted by lilcuda
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
You do realize that XP came out 22 years ago? Time for a newer computer. They are cheaper now.

Newer versions of Windows sux. They changed the UI and it was not an improvement.

My work computer is W10, I hate it.

My personal laptop is W7, garage laptop is XP.

It takes getting used to, but actually W10 is really good once you get used to it. It actually takes less energy to learn it than it does to resist it.

I really don't like the live tiles MS introduced in the Win8 start menu, probably irrationally since I DESPISE Win8 and refused to use it, or even look at Win8.1 after trying the Win8 developer preview version.

I install one of the retro start menus, start10, start11, Open Shell (did nothing on the last Win11 machine I tried it on) or my current favorite, startallback. Costs about $5.00 for one PC.

I updated the wife's Win7 machine to Win10 a few years ago, used Open Shell so it'd look like Win7. I was careful to replace the Open Shell start button with the Win7 orb. She never noticed a difference in how it works, nor did she notice she no longer had Win7. I currently have a new Win11 machine prepared for her (the old computer is not eligible for a Win11 upgrade) with a similar treatment, I doubt she'll notice this one either except for it being a physically different machine.

My little sister ran into a vulnerability with Win10 version 1909, a rogue piece of software and a registry entry were nagging her near constantly to download the full payload, fortunately she didn't fall for that. I spent several hours looking into it for her, finally Malwarebytes discovered it and quarantined it, then I deleted the damned things. Keep your computer updated, IMHO, had she been running a current Win10 version, she'd never have been compromised.

JMHO, don't even try to run an old version of Windows, when your Windows version support ends, back up your files to an external drive, format the hard drive, install Linux, put your personal files back and enjoy the improved security. Again, IMHO, Linuxmint and Zorin OS are best for Windows refugees with the shallowest learning curve.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi