Originally Posted by mopar dave
I used the royal purple assembly lube on the bearings because the motor will be setting a few years before i get it running. I always prime my motors just before they run. Ring directions call for .0045/in. of bore on top ring and second ring .004-.008 more gap than top ring. Should the rings be dry on start up?

A light coat of oil on your rings will help them move around in the ring-lands of your pistons and prevent any potential corrosion while sitting in your engine awaiting that first start up. Old school engine builders would dip a piston in oil (with the rings installed) before installing it into the cylinder during assembly, so those rings were soaked pretty good. Personally, I lightly coat my rings to promote easy of movement so they don't mar the pistons during install and assembly. I always coat my cylinders with a liberal amount of oil before installing the pistons into the block. When the engine is fired up, any oil up top will be burnt off and the rings will then do their job of keeping oil where it belongs (out of the combustion chamber).

1969 A12 Roadrunner
1970 Plymouth Cuda
1968 Dodge Dart