Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I went through the same thing when we bought our 2010 Cummins. Owners manual calls for 5W-40 full synthetic or "engine damage may occur". OK, I call up the dealership and ask them about this. I tell them that the other Cummins we had never had this requirement (1998, 2001, 2005) and all I ever used was 15W-40 conventional. They tell me that they use 15W-40 conventional in all their Cummins and have not had any problems. So I ask if I use 15W-40 conventional and have an engine problem, will they warranty it? Crickets at first and then the music began with the dancing to follow. So I've been using the Valvoline 5W-40 full synthetic. Cheap insurance.

2010 would run 15/40 and 5w/40 if you live in an ice box….. like Nord Dakota
Honestly if your 2010 is stock the oils getting so polluted with the regen strategy that synthetic is a waste. Regen is why they have the service reminder. At a calculated interval of 2-3% oil dilution the “oil change required” message comes up. They “said” that they’d tested up to 10% dilution without any ill findings. The 08-12 6.7 (pre DEF) they recommended at oil change to have the level at the “S” in safe on the stick. That would give room for growth due to fuel dilution….. I never thought I’d see the day where it was “normal” for the oil level to rise during a service interval. 08-12 was a must to delete imho……

Okay, I'm confused. I thought that with a Cummins, during the filter regeneration raw diesel fuel was injected ahead of the catalytic converter to raise the exhaust temp to 'burn' the filter out. If this is the case, how does this contribute to oil dilution?

Fuel gets past the rings….. the oil level will rise in that era.