When I first started messing with these I bent a couple because I did not get them seated properly evidently. They are kind of a pain sometimes to get em all in the cup on both ends while tightening them down especially when done in the car or worse yet a truck. Neither of the ones I screwed up bent valves, just put in new pushrods and all was well.

As far as the movement on the shaft the factory had a few different things they did over the years, I think first was a sleeve sort of thing, I saw one with springs between them but don't remember the year but it had to have been pre-eagle and some had a C clip on them and now most of them have nothing, factory must have decided they were not needed.

I always install them with nothing now and make sure they slide about 1/8th or 1/4 inch side to side when the valve is closed to double check they are not installed wrong. When the lifter pumps up it pushes the rocker into the pedestal and never the other way.

Last edited by HotRodDave; 08/12/22 04:49 PM.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!