Cooled EGR is more detonation resistant as it does not heat up the intake as much as it does on something like the magnum where it picks it right out of the hot exhaust manifold and dumps it immediately back into the magnums already too hot intake.

The other reason I would think would be more important picking it up so far back is that after the cat there is much less unburned hydrocarbons to clog it up, this would save diesel owners in particular a ton of headache as they get clogged with carbon pretty quick.

I still am convinced it causes a drop in MPG cooled or not... you have to pump more volume of gasses through the engine, it is a pumping loss. Also slows down the burn requiring earlier ignition timing witch means more negative work on the crank. Also since the air and fuel molecules are now further apart with innert gas molecules separating them less of them are gonna burn and produce power. I feel it is and should only be considered an emissions control device, every car I have blocked it on saw an immediate improvement in MPG. The only way I could fathom it helping is if your fuel octane level was too low for your engine.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!